Matchup Problems Against the Pass.

NJ29

Here's just a few observations I've made...

- Andre Johnson's huge performance this week doesn't change that this team is still very good against #1 receivers. He is, in my opinion, the best receiver in the league... Let's just keep that in mind.

- The problem with the pass defense is our inability to matchup with second and third receivers, tight ends and running backs out of the backfield. For example...

- I love Rey just as much as anyone, but even the coaching staff will acknowledge that he's playing out of position at the moment. He is a much better fit as a MIKE backer, and it's a big matchup problem to have middle backer playing SAM and a terribly slow Dhani Jones playing Mike. These pose a lot of difficult matchups, with Dhani matched up on tight ends, and god forbid, running backs out of backfield, is a nightmare for this defense.

- When Rey moves to Mike next season, if we can bring in a quicker guy to play Sam, these matchup issues should be improved.

- Michael Johnson is a defensive end. I feel like I rarely see him rushing the passer, and more often then not I see him as a strong side linebacker. This is an interesting use for him, but the bottom line is that MJ is a pass rusher, that's why we drafted him. Putting him back and trying to have him cover tight ends is not his strong suit and minimizes his upside and usefulness. If he gives offensive linemen fits like they say he does, then give him an opportunity to play end more in the wake of Odom's absence.

- I'm a huge Chris Crocker fan, he's a really tough guy and he's one of the faces of this defense in my opinion, but he's a strong safety, and he absolutely is not the answer at nickel corner. He's a physical player, but coverage in the slot isn't his strength. This has been very clear at several points this season.

- I've said for a long time that a more long term solution at nickel back is necessary. At this point in the NFL, your nickel corner can't have a big drop off from your starting guys, and using safeties and sixth round picks their is going to get you beat.

- We struggled with Houston similarly with how we struggled with Pittsburgh in the first half for the same reason. We matchup pretty well with #1 and #2 receivers, but we struggle in the slot against teams with deep receiving corps and good receiving players at tight end and out of the backfield (see the performances from Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, and Mike Wallace).

- These mismatches are similar to bringing safeties up to play linebacker against the run. We're playing a big lineup against the pass at the moment, and it minimizes the amount of speed that we can get against the field.

- What seems like a huge problem defending the pass against well rounded passing teams can be solved with the addition of just a couple key position players.

- Andre Johnson's huge performance this week doesn't change that this team is still very good against #1 receivers. He is, in my opinion, the best receiver in the league... Let's just keep that in mind.

- The problem with the pass defense is our inability to matchup with second and third receivers, tight ends and running backs out of the backfield. For example...

- I love Rey just as much as anyone, but even the coaching staff will acknowledge that he's playing out of position at the moment. He is a much better fit as a MIKE backer, and it's a big matchup problem to have middle backer playing SAM and a terribly slow Dhani Jones playing Mike. These pose a lot of difficult matchups, with Dhani matched up on tight ends, and god forbid, running backs out of backfield, is a nightmare for this defense.

- When Rey moves to Mike next season, if we can bring in a quicker guy to play Sam, these matchup issues should be improved.

- Michael Johnson is a defensive end. I feel like I rarely see him rushing the passer, and more often then not I see him as a strong side linebacker. This is an interesting use for him, but the bottom line is that MJ is a pass rusher, that's why we drafted him. Putting him back and trying to have him cover tight ends is not his strong suit and minimizes his upside and usefulness. If he gives offensive linemen fits like they say he does, then give him an opportunity to play end more in the wake of Odom's absence.

- I'm a huge Chris Crocker fan, he's a really tough guy and he's one of the faces of this defense in my opinion, but he's a strong safety, and he absolutely is not the answer at nickel corner. He's a physical player, but coverage in the slot isn't his strength. This has been very clear at several points this season.

- I've said for a long time that a more long term solution at nickel back is necessary. At this point in the NFL, your nickel corner can't have a big drop off from your starting guys, and using safeties and sixth round picks their is going to get you beat.

- We struggled with Houston similarly with how we struggled with Pittsburgh in the first half for the same reason. We matchup pretty well with #1 and #2 receivers, but we struggle in the slot against teams with deep receiving corps and good receiving players at tight end and out of the backfield (see the performances from Owen Daniels, Steve Slaton, and Mike Wallace).

- These mismatches are similar to bringing safeties up to play linebacker against the run. We're playing a big lineup against the pass at the moment, and it minimizes the amount of speed that we can get against the field.

- What seems like a huge problem defending the pass against well rounded passing teams can be solved with the addition of just a couple key position players.

good points.

Here are some things I've observed.

Chinny is a big drop-off from RW. RW is very good at sniffing out the underneath screen or RB out of the backfield.

MJ is better covering the TE than Dhani. I am not sure it is his BEST use but I'd rather cover the TE and force the throw elsewhere, than have him not get to the QB and have them complete a pass to the TE who Dhani could not cover.

Morgan Trent played quite a bit Sunday and did well against Walter and Jacoby jones. He is improving. Crocker does need to rotate to a true FS.

Rey will still make some rookie mistakes. he made quite a few Sunday, missing tackles and being out of position quite a few times on runs against the grain.

Sims can handle Peko's spot but there is simply noone backing him up. They need another big body if Peko is to be out an extended amount of time.

DE depth is zilch. Odom has been playing at a high level and losing him is a serious problem. They need to man-up and get creative in bringing in someone who can make a similar impact. Odom's play elevates the rest of the line and also make Leon and JJoe look like All pro's. Without him, this D take a couple of steps back.

Rivers played one of his worst games of his career defending against Slaton and Daniels.

I think they were drained and flat from the emotional toll of the last two weeks. Understandable.

They now have themselves on film playing poorly. Up to them to find the issues and fix them.

good points.

Here are some things I've observed.

Chinny is a big drop-off from RW. RW is very good at sniffing out the underneath screen or RB out of the backfield.

MJ is better covering the TE than Dhani. I am not sure it is his BEST use but I'd rather cover the TE and force the throw elsewhere, than have him not get to the QB and have them complete a pass to the TE who Dhani could not cover.

Morgan Trent played quite a bit Sunday and did well against Walter and Jacoby jones. He is improving. Crocker does need to rotate to a true FS.

Rey will still make some rookie mistakes. he made quite a few Sunday, missing tackles and being out of position quite a few times on runs against the grain.

Sims can handle Peko's spot but there is simply noone backing him up. They need another big body if Peko is to be out an extended amount of time.

DE depth is zilch. Odom has been playing at a high level and losing him is a serious problem. They need to man-up and get creative in bringing in someone who can make a similar impact. Odom's play elevates the rest of the line and also make Leon and JJoe look like All pro's. Without him, this D take a couple of steps back.

Rivers played one of his worst games of his career defending against Slaton and Daniels.

I think they were drained and flat from the emotional toll of the last two weeks. Understandable.

They now have themselves on film playing poorly. Up to them to find the issues and fix them.

Good, valid points, but...

1. I agree, Andre Johnson is a beast and is the best, toughest reciever to cover in the league. My problem was how open he was and how badly their play-actions schooled the hell outta us! If Andre made good plays, its one thing but he was wide open and uncontested on a number of plays.

2. I agree about the Rey Maualuga point. Didn't we draft him b/c of his play in college at MLB? This goes on the coaching staff and is similar to the Chase Coffman fiasco! He is a middle linebacker! He plays similar to Odell with instincts and recognition stuff, why take him outta of a comfort zone and where he plays best? This coaching staff is up there with the worst decision makers in the league.

3. Same deal with MJ as Rey. Why take him outta the position that made him your 3rd round pick? Just b/c he's athletic enough to play linebacker doesn't mean you play him as one! Look at Kampman for Green Bay, Pro Bowl 4-3 end, but a horrible 3-4 linebacker!

4. Agree about the Crocker and nickelback situations as well, but using those guys as examples is just plain incorrect! Slaton and Daniels doesn't have anything to do with our nickelback situation, and Mike Wallace torched JJoe not our nickel!