Jeremi Johnson

BlainThePain

I was flipping through the channels yesterday and landed on "Playbook" a show on NFL Network that breaks down games, and I caught the tail end of the Bengals/Ravens segment. They showed one of Benson's successful running plays and Mike Mayock broke down why it was successful.

On the play the Bengals ran an unbalanced line with Whitworth and Roland both on the right side. They actually brought Jeremi Johnson up to the line of scrimmage and had him, for all intent and purposes, play left tackle on the play. This forced the Ravens to make adjustments and get out of what they wanted to do. The running play actually went to the left side between Mathis and Cook and Jeremi completely man handled his guy on the line of scrimmage. The play was successful mainly because of Jeremi's blocking and Kyle Cook doing a great job of getting the Ravens nose tackle completely turned away from the play.

I wish you guys could have seen it because Jeremi made a beautiful block, and you can definitely see why they gave JJ another chance. I'm starting to believe that when he is healthy and determined, there is no fullback better at blocking than Jeremi Johnson.

I don't doubt when healthy and ready, there's none better! But, I can't say he's the complete difference in the production of the running game from this year to last year! Too much has change! CedBen obviously gets most of the credit IMO, and the O-Line is different as is the play calling and schemes! So while Jeremi is good, he's not the only reason we're running well!

I'm starting to believe that when he is healthy and determined, there is no fullback better at blocking than Jeremi Johnson.

(((shrug)))

I've starting believing it doesn't really matter if Jeremi Johnson ever gets in shape since the Bengals don't use the FB on consecutive plays often enough for true physical conditioning to matter.

CedBen obviously gets most of the credit IMO, and the O-Line is different as is the play calling and schemes!

Dave Lapham repeatedly mentioned all of the jumbo and over load packages that they ran during the Ravens game. He kept saying that they basically were flooding the side that Terrell Suggs was on in an attempt to basically neutralize him. Obviously something in that scheme worked. It will interesting to see if other teams do the same thing to the Ravens in the future. Perhaps Brat and Co. finally found a weak point in the Ravens defense and we'll see if others try to exploit that discovery.

Just for those who don't know, here's a handy link for all the NFL.com videos (including Playbook).

/>http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals

Thanks for the link.

Here's the segment I was talking about:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cincinnati-bengals/09000d5d81363807/WK-5-Playbook-Ravens-vs-Bengals-recap

Anybody else think we should bring up Chris Pressley and start using JJ at TE on some snaps?

him not being here last year had a big effect on the offence. Obviously, benson gets all the glory as expected, but we all know how important the fb and o line are to palmer and co. good to have him back, think the time out he had has done him good.

jon

The play was successful mainly because of Jeremi's blocking and Kyle Cook doing a great job of getting the Ravens nose tackle completely turned away from the play.

Considering that nose tackle is Ngata, that one little part of the sentence made me smile like I haven't smiled about the o-line in a long time !!!

The play was successful mainly because of Jeremi's blocking and Kyle Cook doing a great job of getting the Ravens nose tackle completely turned away from the play.

Considering that nose tackle is Ngata, that one little part of the sentence made me smile like I haven't smiled about the o-line in a long time !!!

Are you sure it wasn't Kelly Gregg? He started the game at NT for the Ravens.

KG burst through untouched once, absolutely untouched and that was a little disappointing. Other than that I can't remember him being a menace in the backfield. Ngata broke through to stone Benson a couple of times. Flat out beasted him but both players are damn good players and they'll just out talent you once in a while.

They were contained pretty well though overall.

Honestly, I had forgotten about that Ron, but in looking at the stats, Ngata was playing. I have no idea which one was in the play.

I will then simply say, I love what Cook has been able to do from the Center position this year and hope they sign him back !!!

I, too, am pleased with Cook's play this season. There's been one penalty on him that I can think of, and he may have gotten beat once or twice. Other that that, he's held his own against all three division teams and that's impressive.

One of the ngata backfield tackles was bobbie williams'fault. It was the 1st and 10 play on the first drive from the raven 14. Williams was slow off the snap and ngota went right by him to tackle benson for a 5 yard loss. Replay showed williams junping up in anger at missing the block.

Generally, given the succession of beastly def tackles they have seen this year, I think Cook has been damn good...

Honestly, I had forgotten about that Ron, but in looking at the stats, Ngata was playing. I have no idea which one was in the play.

I will then simply say, I love what Cook has been able to do from the Center position this year and hope they sign him back !!!

Yeah that's why I just said nose tackle. I wasn't sure who was in on that play.

Maybe Luigs could play a little guard next yr if Bobbie leaves. Certainly a good back up at the C and G positions. Cook is playing his way to a nice contract from someone next yr, hopefully us.

If someone wants to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him, otherwise he will be playing for us as a restricted FA

Maybe Luigs could play a little guard next yr if Bobbie leaves. Certainly a good back up at the C and G positions. Cook is playing his way to a nice contract from someone next yr, hopefully us.

If someone wants to give up a 1st and 3rd round pick for him, otherwise he will be playing for us as a restricted FA

Oh yeah, forgot he'll be an RFA. I only just looked up our FA situation a couple of days ago. Duh. So are Roland and Livings I think. Nice.

Oh yeah, forgot he'll be an RFA. I only just looked up our FA situation a couple of days ago. Duh. So are Roland and Livings I think. Nice.

Here's a link listing the years remaining on each Bengals contract:

http://www.walterfootball.com/freeagentscontractscin.php

Here's a link listing the years remaining on each Bengals contract:

http://www.walterfoo...ontractscin.php

The first-round tender last year was 2.198 million, so Roland must be re-signed now. If they can't get him done, I would expect the Bengals would sign him to the second round tender, which was a more reseasonable 1.5 million last year, IIRC. Jeremi and Brandon Johnson should also be priorities. The rest of those guys should be easy to replace through the draft/second-tier UFAs.

The Bengals need to get Benson, Leonard, J-Jo and Ndukwe done ASAP. They are all UFAs in 2011. I'd much rather the Bengals re-sign these guys and lock of some core players, as opposed to a gambling with a big-name signing or two like they did last year.