Can anyone get any info on camp?

walzav29

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-253/Bengals-training-camp-notes.html

Bengals training camp notes

July 31, 2009 7:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- On Friday the AFC North blog got its first look at the Cincinnati Bengals during their 2009 training camp.

The team practiced in shorts and will not do any heavy hitting until the weekend. But here are some observations from Friday's practice:

nfl_a_palmer1_sw_300.jpg

(AP Photo/Al Behrman)

Quarterback Carson Palmer will be watched closely in training camp.

* Let's start with a little contract news. Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said there was no update on the progress of contract talks with first-round pick Andre Smith, who was a no-show for the opening of training camp. Second-year player Anthony Collins worked with the starters at right tackle in place of Smith.

* Starting quarterback Carson Palmer remains on a pitch count, but it will be divided and monitored closely over both practices when there's two-a-days. During minicamp, Palmer threw in the morning session and shut it down for the evening practice. But the coaching staff wants the quarterback and the first-team offense to maintain a rhythm throughout the summer.

* As advertised, Bengals veteran safety Roy Williams worked with the first-team defense Friday ahead of Chinedum Nduwke. The two are locked in one of the better position battles on the team.

* Speaking of Williams, he made the play of the day in team drills with a pick six off Palmer. Receiver Jerome Simpson dropped a slant across the middle and had the football bounce off his chest and into the hands of a sliding Williams. The safety then popped up quickly to take the football the other way for a score.

* Receiver Chad Ochocinco was a crowd favorite Friday. One woman in the stands screamed "I love you, Chad!" Ochocinco turned to the fan, signaled his hand next to his ear and said "Call me."

* It's easy to tell that rookie linebacker Rey Maualuga is getting antsy for full contact. On several occasions Friday, Maualuga put forth extra effort in wrapping up ball carriers in what was expected to be a low-contact day. In particular, Maualuga laid a pretty good shot on an unsuspecting Chris Henry when the receiver caught the ball in his area. The coaching staff may have to work on toning down Maualuga's aggressiveness against his own team in practice this summer. But for the Bengals, it beats the alternative.

The coaching staff may have to work on toning down Maualuga's aggressiveness against his own team in practice this summer. But for the Bengals, it beats the alternative.

Have I said I love Maualuga yet? lol I guess were gonna have to feed him Jeremi Johnson and other people you know who won't make the team so he doesn't end up hurting a starter :o

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2009/07/31/731-post-practice-report/

7/31: Post-practice report

Posted by Joe Reedy July 31st, 2009, 5:59 pm

No one got injured and all 78 players in attendance practiced. In other words, practice got off to a better start than last year,

From Marvin Lewis: “I think today was a good start to camp. Some of the things you have at times with the snaps, procedures and those things, none of those showed up which is good. I think we still have to understand it is training camp and everybody gets a little anxious. We have to learn what the tempo and drills are. We took care of the little things.”

From Carson Palmer: “We’re not where we need to be as far as precision, timing and execution but because of that six week layoff we have to get the rust off. We just have to get back to the swing of things like we were at OTAs.”

Some things of note:

* Robert Geathers looked good and didn’t appear to be feeling the after effects from offseason microfracture surgery.

* A couple nice catches by Chad Ochocinco — one on a bomb from Carson Palmer down the middle and another while being covered by Leon Hall where he bobbled it but then hauled it in. Ochocinco also had a nice double move during one of the plays, but the ball was overthrown.

* Carson Palmer had some good velocity on the ball and overthrew receivers a couple times.

* Defensive plays of note — Rashad Jeanty and Jason Shirley got penetration and made nice stops in run drills.

* Lewis was asked if there was any update about first-round pick Andre Smith, who is the lone holdout. He said no. Smith’s agent, Alvin Keels, said earlier in the day that he was hoping that things would pick up now that the deals at Nos. 5 and 7 were done and that Andre is working out and remains motivated to prove doubters wrong. Keels is also trying to work on an extension for Jets RB Leon Washington.

* Cedric Benson made his presence known with some physical runs, even though it was non contact. Toward the end of practice, a couple of the linebackers had enough as Keith Rivers and Dhani Jones got into a brief scuffle with Benson. “You know it’s a good sign when the defenders are complaining that he is running too hard,” offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski said of Benson.

* Jerome Simpson had a couple miscues that turned into interceptions. On the first play Chinedum Ndukwe muscled for inside position on a medium route down the far sideline and outlept Simpson. Later in practice, Simpson had a ball go off his hands which was picked off by Roy Williams.

* Rookie Fui Vakapuna, who was selected in the seventh round and is listed as the starting fullback, had a couple catches on screen passes. But Bratkowski is waiting for the pads to come on before he has a clearer picture of what Vakapuna can do. “We know he can do that but we’re waiting to see is get the pads on and see how the banging goes. That’s going to be the key to being a fullback in the NFL is you have to be a banger too,” Bratkowski said. Speaking of fullback, Jeremi Johnson did pass his conditioning test and physical and was out on the field.

Tomorrow there are two practices — 9-11 a.m. and 7-9 p.m.

Posted in: Updates |

This entry was posted on Friday, July 31st, 2009 at 5:59 pm and is filed under Updates. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can trackback from your own site.

Disappointing updates on Simpson. I've been one who hasn't been very critical of him because he came from a small school and has a lot to learn. I was also impressed by his work ethic over the offseason, and was hoping to see him start to "get it" soon. That is looking less and less likely.

I'm not sure what his deal is. I think the jump from small school to the NFL might be in his head. Maybe he's thinking too much... I'm not sure. I'm just happy the Bengals aren't likely to rely on him much this season. I'm starting to worry that he may never "get it" and all that natural ability will go to waste.

Disappointing updates on Simpson. I've been one who hasn't been very critical of him because he came from a small school and has a lot to learn. I was also impressed by his work ethic over the offseason, and was hoping to see him start to "get it" soon. That is looking less and less likely.

I'm not sure what his deal is. I think the jump from small school to the NFL might be in his head. Maybe he's thinking too much... I'm not sure. I'm just happy the Bengals aren't likely to rely on him much this season. I'm starting to worry that he may never "get it" and all that natural ability will go to waste.

Is it possible that he's trying too hard? That he's so worried about messing up that he's losing focus on just learning? I know he's determined to prove critics wrong who say he was drafted too high.

* It's easy to tell that rookie linebacker Rey Maualuga is getting antsy for full contact. On several occasions Friday, Maualuga put forth extra effort in wrapping up ball carriers in what was expected to be a low-contact day. In particular, Maualuga laid a pretty good shot on an unsuspecting Chris Henry when the receiver caught the ball in his area. The coaching staff may have to work on toning down Maualuga's aggressiveness against his own team in practice this summer. But for the Bengals, it beats the alternative.

Always nice to read stuff like this. Hopefully by the end of preseason he has the starting job locked down. Like most others, I have a good feeling about this guy.

Is it possible that he's trying too hard? That he's so worried about messing up that he's losing focus on just learning? I know he's determined to prove critics wrong who say he was drafted too high.

it's a shame after watching him and caldwells show he's a very likable guy hehe

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/0-3-268/Bengals-training-camp-notes.html

Bengals training camp notes

August 3, 2009 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Monday is our final day in Cincinnati Bengals training camp. It's been an interesting four days with one of the most popular sleeper picks in the NFL this season.

Here are some finals notes and observations on the Bengals before we move on to visit the other three AFC North teams:

* I will start with a personal opinion: The chemistry with this year's Bengals is as good as I've seen. I've covered Cincinnati or the AFC North in some capacity since 2004, and this is the best Bengals locker room, as a group, that I can remember. In a league built for every team to finish 8-8, good chemistry is one of the few things that separate NFL teams. My early impression is that the usually up-and-down Bengals have a rare chance this season for chemistry not to be an issue.

* Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer returned to practice Monday after missing the last two sessions over the weekend. According to a source, Palmer was dealing with flu-like symptoms, and on Monday he confirmed that it was bronchitis. He still looked slightly under the weather but appears to be getting over the illness.

* It is still eerily quiet on the Andre Smith front. The first-round tackle missed his fourth day Monday as the team continues its negotiations. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis did not take a hard-line stance recently when asked about Smith. Lewis praised the rookie's abilities to be a productive player and virtually left the door open for Smith to earn a starting job by Week 1. But this stance is always subject to change based on the amount of time Smith is out.

* The Bengals roster appears overstocked in some areas, which could lead to trade options later this summer. Several positions such as defensive line, receiver and maybe even linebacker have a lot of players who could contribute but not enough reps to go around. With Cincinnati's lengthy history of injuries, it may be wise to maintain depth. But the Bengals do have some bargaining chips for trades that might help weaker areas on the team.

* Rookie tight end Chase Coffman still looks bothered by his foot injury. The size and hands are apparent and the primary reason he was taken in the third round by the Bengals. But so far Coffman still appears a half-step slow in running his routes, and he's not taking any days off to rest the sore foot.

* As far as HBO's Hard Knocks, overall the process got off to a good start. The coaches didn't seem too bothered by it, but it has looked a little unnatural for some players. Cameras are everywhere in Georgetown, and some players, like receiver Chad Ochocinco, appear to be having fun with it while others are more reserved. After living and experiencing the first four days of training camp, I'm curious to see how it's portrayed on camera.

I wonder what gives him that impression ??

He's obviously not too bright. With the injury to Kelly, I'm discouraged to read that Coffman doesn't seem to be anywhere near 100%. He's now our second TE and we're going to need him this year. We can't count on Coates to catch anything but a cold.