Reds vs, Diamondbacks

ArmyBengal

They get the day off today, but pick up tomorrow for a 3 game series at the D-Backs. Arroyo, Cueto, and Harang get the starts for the series and Arizona is still the 2nd worst team in the majors, so I'm hoping for a sweep. God knows the team needs it at this point in time. I thought when they went on a little winning streak against the lesser team not long ago that it might jump start them to play better against the better teams. It didn't last then, but with Votto back and playing decent, maybe they can get something going and maintain. There's always hope right ??

The bigger series coming up is at the end of the week when the Cardinals come to town Friday.

Same thing was said when we got swept by the Padres in May and by the Royals in June, but I get what you are saying and we have fared wel against the D-Backs for the most part. I'm really hoping they can put something together for the long haul.

I get to watch the games live out here in Arizona! :)

Same thing was said when we got swept by the Padres in May and by the Royals in June, but I get what you are saying and we have fared wel against the D-Backs for the most part. I'm really hoping they can put something together for the long haul.

Sweeeeeeet Did you get good seats Billy

Sweeeeeeet Did you get good seats Billy

I meant on live TV.

The Reds are the football equivalent of 4-4 now. 4 wins, 4 losses, 8 more to play.

How someone can be down on the Reds now, and yet optimistic about the Bengals is beyond me.

All I know is if the Bengals somehow end up 4-4 a the midpoint of their season, many here will already be thinking playoffs. Yet when the Reds are in the same boat, "the season is finished."

The Reds are a scrappy young team. Short on talent, long on potential, with a nice upside if they can get a few guys healthy again. They may not win the World Series, but they could easily sneak into the playoffs. I can't remember when the Reds had pitching this good. They scored one run last night and won.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are sticking to the same tired format they have always followed. A barebones operation to the tune of record profit. I swear, many posters here have to be driving around Pintos and Gremlins, baffled as to why their car keeps breaking down.

Go Reds! :jump:

The Reds are the football equivalent of 4-4 now. 4 wins, 4 losses, 8 more to play.

How someone can be down on the Reds now, and yet optimistic about the Bengals is beyond me.

All I know is if the Bengals somehow end up 4-4 a the midpoint of their season, many here will already be thinking playoffs. Yet when the Reds are in the same boat, "the season is finished."

The Reds are a scrappy young team. Short on talent, long on potential, with a nice upside if they can get a few guys healthy again. They may not win the World Series, but they could easily sneak into the playoffs. I can't remember when the Reds had pitching this good. They scored one run last night and won.

Meanwhile, the Bengals are sticking to the same tired format they have always followed. A barebones operation to the tune of record profit. I swear, many posters here have to be driving around Pintos and Gremlins, baffled as to why their car keeps breaking down.

Go Reds! jump.gif

Dude, will you please stop trying to compare what it's like to be a Reds fan to a Bengals fan. I mean seriously, you can't compare to the two sports to each other or the fanbase reaction at some defined point in the season. I'll tell why why there is reason to be down on the Reds. Volquez and Arroyo. Who knows when our All Star pitching ace is going to return since he's had a couple set backs now and who knows if Arroyo is ever going to be decent the remainder of the season with his injury. Ceuto ?? Love the kid, but don't get it twisted, the D'Backs left 13 on the bags last night. The biggest reason we won that game is because it was the D'Backs.

Can you tell me you are comfortable with Owings, Homer (finally got his first win, Indians), and Maloney holding down 3 of the 5 starters spots ?? Sorry, but I'm not. Do you think teams like the Cubs, Brewers, and especially the Cardinals are going to continue playing inconsistent ball like they did the first half ?? Sorry, but I'm not.

Don't get me wrong Bearcat, I LOVE the potential of this young Reds team and I mean I haven't been so up on a Reds team in a while, but even considering they are young, I believe they are underachieving. Maybe that's Dusty's fault, maybe it's the batting coaches fault, but it's someone's fault and there seems to be little being done to rectifiy players being left in when they are in a current 0-36 slump or something of that nature.

Could they still make a run ?? Sure they can, but I'm just not convinced they have the juice to make it happen.

On a side note, if the Bengals are 4-4 at mid season, they will likely finish 8-8 AT BEST and thereby miss the playoffs handily, so I don't think you will find many willing to take that up that mantle.

Volquez and Arroyo.

Volquez will be back. Hopefully Homer can hold his spot down until then. Arroyo said it only hurts when he plays guitar. Shouldn't affect his pitching though.

Who knows when our All Star pitching ace is going to return since he's had a couple set backs now and who knows if Arroyo is ever going to be decent the remainder of the season with his injury. Ceuto ?? Love the kid, but don't get it twisted, the D'Backs left 13 on the bags last night. The biggest reason we won that game is because it was the D'Backs.

Cueto is our All-Star pitcher. He had an off night and fought through the pain...still only gave up one run.

Can you tell me you are comfortable with Owings, Homer (finally got his first win, Indians), and Maloney holding down 3 of the 5 starters spots ??

Harang

Bailey

Cueto

Arroyo

Owings

Sorry, but I'm not. Do you think teams like the Cubs, Brewers, and especially the Cardinals are going to continue playing inconsistent ball like they did the first half ?? Sorry, but I'm not.

The Cardinals will make their yearly run. The Cubs are the Cubs. Doomed.

On a side note, if the Bengals are 4-4 at mid season, they will likely finish 8-8 AT BEST and thereby miss the playoffs handily, so I don't think you will find many willing to take that up that mantle.

The general consensus here as of now is 9 to 10 wins. Zero basis in reality. If the Bengals are 4-4 then people here will be bragging like we just won the Super Bowl.

Considering the support this town has for the hapless Bengals yearly ineptitude, some support for the Redlegs would be nice, that's all I'm saying.

Reds won again today, by the way. Good to have Votto back.

Shouldn't affect Arroyo ?? Maybe you missed his last two starts and the comments about the pain. Volquez will be back, yes. Any ideas when ?? Nothing I've seen outside of it won't be before the All Star break, but nothing solid. Amazing the support for Homer when he's done nothing. NOTHING. One win over the sh*tty Indians and people are willing to claim he's finally over the hump ?? Wow, that's just stupid plain and simple. The Cubs may be doomed, but will that be before or after they make the playoffs ?? Lets not forget the Brewers in all of this either.

Once again, stop with the Bengals and Reds comparisons. Apples and Oranges dude. The short football season is ALWAYS going to stir more excitement with fans and is evident when going to the games. Baseball is more subdued while football is more fanatical. You can look at many cities where this is the case. To say people are going to think we won the Super Bowl if we are 4-4 at midpoint is silly. The only thing 4-4 will get us at midpoint is another missed chance at the playoffs.

I think the Reds get support from the fans, but like I said, the longer season makes it a little more difficult for the fanatical support that football enjoys.

I also forgot to add that while we may have won today, most of the writeups agree with the fact the Reds are underachieving and wasted more chances than a solid team should. You can't have a team as crappy as the D'Backs take you to extra innings and winning on a lucky hit. Yes, lucky as he was jammed and it found it's way through. I love what Votto has done since being back, but they should be pounding on the D'Backs, not winning by one run after being taken to extras.

Outside of winning this series, which I am happy about. The fact the games were so close against an obviously inferior team is my concern. This has IN FACT been the demise of the Reds to this point in time and isn't the first time by any stretch. Playing down to their competition and being inconsistent.

I also forgot to add that while we may have won today, most of the writeups agree with the fact the Reds are underachieving and wasted more chances than a solid team should. You can't have a team as crappy as the D'Backs take you to extra innings and winning on a lucky hit. Yes, lucky as he was jammed and it found it's way through. I love what Votto has done since being back, but they should be pounding on the D'Backs, not winning by one run after being taken to extras.

Outside of winning this series, which I am happy about. The fact the games were so close against an obviously inferior team is my concern. This has IN FACT been the demise of the Reds to this point in time and isn't the first time by any stretch. Playing down to their competition and being inconsistent.

All of that may be true, Army, but I'm not complaining.

Simply being over .500 at this point feels great compared to what we've gotten used to. If they finish the season that way, I'll consider it a success.

You guys are missing my point here...

I'm happier than horsesh*t that the Reds are doing as well as they are right now. I didn't think they would be this close at this point in the season, but that's not due to their great play. Poor hitting, terrible base running, and the inability to do the one thing that Dusty said was a priority when they got rid of Junior and Dunn, PLAY SMALL BALL. When you couple that with some of the poor decisions with how long starters are left in the game or keeping players in the lineup when they are in an 0-36 slump has been beyond my comprehension.

This is the reason I say they are underachieving. Even though they are sitting in 2nd place and 2 games out, they could be sitting in first places with games to spare. While I don't expect them to win every game they play, I do expect them to win most, or series against teams that are the worst in the league and they haven't done that to this point. Swept by the Padres, swept by the Royals, losing 2 of 3 to the Astros, and so on and so on. Those are just a few example. If they had won those series (WHICH THEY SHOULD HAVE) they would be sitting in first place right now.

I just can't look at it and say I'm really THAT happy as they should in fact be doing better. Good teams have to take advantage when the other teams in their division are playing inconsistent ball and the Reds haven't done that. Yeah, they have had some injuries and have hung in, so I'm also happy with that. However, those injuries are still lingering and in my opinion have gotten worse, so I think that impedes what they will be able to accomplish if they can't get them back or find a way to overcome them.

I'm just saying we can't expect the other teams in our division to continue being as inconsistent as they have. I'm not trying to bash, I just want the team to play to their ability and I am happy that we are seeing them this close.