The wheels are coming off the F1 wagon!

BengalszoneBilly

This elite racing series seems to be making the same mistake the Indycar boys did years ago, and separate into two competing series. Not that I care that much for Formula 1. I despise that the pole winner usually ends up leading the entire race to take the checkers.

F1 in turmoil as 8 teams announce breakaway series

By ROB HARRIS AP Sports Writer

SILVERSTONE, England(AP) -- Eight Formula One teams began preparations for a rival series after failing to resolve their dispute with motor sport's governing body over financial constraints on Friday.

Ferrari, which has participated since the first season in 1950, and current leader Brawn GP headed the list of Formula One Teams' Association members to announce the split ahead of Sunday's British Grand Prix.

FOTA, which also includes McLaren, Renault, Toyota, BMW Sauber, Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso, said it would not compromise on the quality of the series by signing up unconditionally for the 2010 F1 season under the FIA's plans for cost-cutting. The FIA's deadline for entry was later Friday.

FOTA's statement criticized the FIA's "uncompromising" stance and attempts, along with the commercial rights holder Formula One Management, to divide its member teams.

As it stands, Williams and Force India will be the only current teams on the F1 starting grid next season while three new outfits - Campos Racing, Team US F1 and Manor F1 Team - are also due to enter.

FIA president Max Mosley was insistent on introducing a voluntary $60 million budget cap for teams to curtail a "financial arms race" in F1. Those that don't agree to the cap would have more technical restrictions, something Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo had called "fundamentally unfair."

Now F1 looks set to lose some of its biggest names, including championship leader Jenson Button of Brawn.

"The teams cannot continue to compromise on the fundamental values of the sport and have declined to alter their original conditional entries to the 2010 world championship," FOTA said after a meeting near Silverstone. "These teams, therefore, have no alternative other than to commence the preparation for a new championship which reflects the values of its participants and partners.

"This series will have transparent governance, one set of regulations, encourage more entrants and listen to the wishes of the fans, including offering lower prices for spectators worldwide, partners and other important stakeholders. The major drivers, stars, brands, sponsors, promoters and companies historically associated with the highest level of motorsport will all feature in this new series."

FOTA said its efforts to remain part of Mosley's series had been hampered by the FIA's approach to negotiations.

"The FIA and the commercial rights holder have campaigned to divide FOTA," the group said. "The wishes of the majority of the teams are ignored. Furthermore, tens of millions of dollars have been withheld from many teams by the commercial rights holder, going back as far as 2006.

"Despite this, and the uncompromising environment, FOTA has genuinely sought compromise."

Amid the global economic downturn, FOTA said it has already embarked on substantial cost-cutting.

The independent Brawn GP team only rose from the ashes of Honda after the Japanese automaker pulled out of F1 late last year as it was forced to focus on its core business. Yet now Button and Brawn teammate Rubens Barrichello occupy the top two spots in the drivers' standings going into Sunday's race.

"FOTA is proud that it has achieved the most substantial measures to reduce costs in the history of our sport," the statement said. "In particular, the manufacturer teams have provided assistance to the independent teams, a number of which would probably not be in the sport today without the FOTA initiatives. The FOTA teams have further agreed upon a substantial voluntary cost reduction that provides a sustainable model for the future."

The drivers had already been preparing for radical developments to emerge from Thursday's FOTA talks.

Two-time world champion Fernando Alonso made it clear in the paddock on Thursday that he would leave F1 if his Renault team pulled out of F1.

"For me the new Formula One would be unattractive, with the small teams and no drivers," Alonso said. "We want to compete with the best teams in the world, the maximum technology: We all want to compete with the best drivers.

"If this is not what Formula One is about next year, then it will be another category with that. I won't retire, I will drive for another championship."

I'm not so sure Billy. The egos are the ones being jettisoned in this fight. The F1 brand will die on its arse. Ferrari (in particular), McLaren and Renault are big names, two of them are legendary. Throw in the money, even in these financially precarious times, of Toyota and you have the teams that matter.

What this all stems from is the poisoned dwarf (Ecclestone) and the pervert (Mosely) holding everyone to ransom. The teams, unwise; the circuits, unfortunate; and finally the fans, unforgivable.

They are intent on stripping everything away from F1 that made it so popular. The traditional technology and innovations. The circuits rooted in history and drama. Not too mention, if I wanted to go to Silverstone this weekend with my wife and kids it would cost me over $2500 for one day. They have chased away a huge part of F1's history and are threatening to do even more. From changing fundamental rules of competition less than a week before the opening race - to stripping yet more traditional and great circuits out of the schedule to replace them with generic, souless circuits designed by German airport architects in ME countries who have the money to pay the exorbitant fees to the F1 for the priviledge of hosting a race. All the while pricing the fans out of attending (this is not the first yr where yawning chasms of empty seats have been seen in the stands). This has been a long time coming and I wish it had happened 5 yrs ago.

There are rumours abound and one team manager has already said they have some great (many from back in the day when F1 was worth watching) circuits interested and are in contact with others such as GVC in Montreal and even an unnamed circuit in the States.

No idea what the fan reaction to the Indy split was a decade ago or so but 90%+ of F1 fans are delighted by this. Real change occurs in F1 driven by the needs and wants of the teams and fans (not greedy bureaucrats) or we get a shiny new series which will be F1 in the minds of all who watch it.

The remnants of F1 would form a true Formula series, if it survives, and that may find it's own market (if it provides good racing I'll watch) but F1 is not a true formula in that sense. Each team builds everything itself - from chassis to engine. No stock parts with different paint schemes. Even the limit to V10 engines is a very recent development. I used to love listening to a V12 Ferrari going all out or a monstrous Lotus V8 growling side by side a Cosworth V10.

If this move really happens, it'll be the death knell for the Formula 1, but the new league will flourish. the fans (many of whom don't go to F1 races anymore because of the exorbitant prices and sinking excitement about the new rules and standardization) would basically all migrate to the new series, mainly due to the freshness of the new series. fans will see the best cars (because there's no artificial spending limit) and the best drivers (ditto, plus the big manufacturers will all move to the new series) on the best circuits (where there are actually fans and a motorsports tradition), and if that's not a recipe for success, i don't know what is.

I'm not so sure Billy. The egos are the ones being jettisoned in this fight. The F1 brand will die on its arse. Ferrari (in particular), McLaren and Renault are big names, two of them are legendary. Throw in the money, even in these financially precarious times, of Toyota and you have the teams that matter.

What this all stems from is the poisoned dwarf (Ecclestone) and the pervert (Mosely) holding everyone to ransom. The teams, unwise; the circuits, unfortunate; and finally the fans, unforgivable.

They are intent on stripping everything away from F1 that made it so popular. The traditional technology and innovations. The circuits rooted in history and drama. Not too mention, if I wanted to go to Silverstone this weekend with my wife and kids it would cost me over $2500 for one day. They have chased away a huge part of F1's history and are threatening to do even more. From changing fundamental rules of competition less than a week before the opening race - to stripping yet more traditional and great circuits out of the schedule to replace them with generic, souless circuits designed by German airport architects in ME countries who have the money to pay the exorbitant fees to the F1 for the priviledge of hosting a race. All the while pricing the fans out of attending (this is not the first yr where yawning chasms of empty seats have been seen in the stands). This has been a long time coming and I wish it had happened 5 yrs ago.

There are rumours abound and one team manager has already said they have some great (many from back in the day when F1 was worth watching) circuits interested and are in contact with others such as GVC in Montreal and even an unnamed circuit in the States.

No idea what the fan reaction to the Indy split was a decade ago or so but 90%+ of F1 fans are delighted by this. Real change occurs in F1 driven by the needs and wants of the teams and fans (not greedy bureaucrats) or we get a shiny new series which will be F1 in the minds of all who watch it.

The remnants of F1 would form a true Formula series, if it survives, and that may find it's own market (if it provides good racing I'll watch) but F1 is not a true formula in that sense. Each team builds everything itself - from chassis to engine. No stock parts with different paint schemes. Even the limit to V10 engines is a very recent development. I used to love listening to a V12 Ferrari going all out or a monstrous Lotus V8 growling side by side a Cosworth V10.

Thanks for an inside view from the other side of the pond. Personally I miss the F1 days where Jackie Stewart reigned as Champion. He was my all time favorite.

BTW, I'm watching a replay of the British Grand Prix as I type this out. Just killing time until the Nascar race at Sonama comes on. Got to get my head in the road course mode! B)

Aye Billy, just a few yrs before my time but a wonderful driver and one of the last to race in other series as well - in America in particular. Long gone are the days of Jim Clarke and G Hill et al.

I grew up during the Prost vs. Senna vs. Mansell era so I was absolutely spoiled rotten at the time without realising it. Schumi's early yrs helped keep interest up but meh, I completely understood JPM's frustration at the politics and stiffling of technology. The old argument is that technology takes away from the driver's input and there's some truth to that. technology coupled with nonsensical rules and limits does.

During the good old day, the technology was off the charts and innovations ruled the day. Turbo Fan cars and the famous Tyrrel 6-wheeler came out during the days of gut-wrenching racing and competition. Now, those days are gone (Iremember seeing some just as whacky looking creations lining up to race at Indy etc) but innovations don't necessarily stifle competition. The unnecessary interference, and some would say outright lunacy, by beauracrats only concerned with squirriling away hundreds of millions of pounds does. The proof of this is the last 15 yrs or so when the most unfortunate death of Senna changed the sport fundamentaly. And in hindsight, those changes were more often than not for the worse (the safety aspects aside).

800px-2001_goodwood_festival_of_speed_brabham_bt46b_fan_car.jpg

GP.%20F.1.%206%20wheel%20Tyrell-Ford%20P34-6%2077`.jpg

Whizzo's post is also spot on. I think you're right to say that a split like Indy would be disastrous, Billy. I don't foresee that happening though. That's what this dispute is all about. The current FOTA teams who want to split want to get back to going nuts and all for racing. The current management of Mosely and Ecclestone want it to be a stock formula with a very limited budget, i.e., a true formula series. They would be completely different entities and would not take viewers away from each others. Just as the dozens of current stock formula series around the world haven't (until the last few yrs) detracted from F1. The teams just want to race and win. The fans just want to see actual racing. Sad to say, those principles are the last thing on the minds of the administrators of F1 though.

BTW, I'm watching a replay of the British Grand Prix as I type this out. Just killing time until the Nascar race at Sonama comes on. Got to get my head in the road course mode! B)

They all look like toy cars now. This might be the last race at Silverstone. Yet another circuit stripped out of the clander by the terrible twosome.

This might be the last race at Silverstone.

I just heard during the race that the British GP may be moved to a track called Dunnington Park? I'm not sure of it's spelling, nor it's location.

If there is no split then it will be at Donnington next yr. Over 60 yrs of tradition (plus being an RAF WW2 base before hand) will be tossed pout the window without a bye or leave by the powers that be. If the split does actually happen then racing will continue at Silverstone.

Donnington Park is basically smack bang in the middle of England. It's a nice circuit but not suited for F1 - it's been a moto GP track for yrs and has been a host track for touring Cars (our version, sort of, of NASCAR). Nowehere near big enough for F1 cars and so has had to have huge gobs of money thrown at it to redesign the place. I like the circuit but it just isn't F1 and is ill though out. But they didn't baulk at the price of hosting a race being increased to stupid amounts and so get the gig.

• 2 weeks later...
The current FOTA teams who want to split want to get back to going nuts and all for racing. The current management of Mosely and Ecclestone want it to be a stock formula with a very limited budget, i.e., a true formula series.

It seems that Ecclestone has recently run into further problems. This one regarding his comments...

Jewish Congress calls for Ecclestone to resign

NEW YORK (AP) - The World Jewish Congress is calling for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone to resign after he was quoted as saying that Adolf Hitler "got things done."

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has the World Jewish Congress calling for his resignation.

In the interview with London's The Times newspaper, Ecclestone also said democracy "hasn't done a lot of good for many countries - including this one."

In a statement Sunday, Ronald Lauder, president of the World Jewish Congress, says Ecclestone is not fit to serve as head of Formula One and calls on teams, drivers and host countries to suspend their cooperation with him.

Ecclestone, who owns F1's commercial rights, has drawn criticism before. He once said women should dress in white "like all other domestic appliances."

What was he thinking!?!

The current FOTA teams who want to split want to get back to going nuts and all for racing. The current management of Mosely and Ecclestone want it to be a stock formula with a very limited budget, i.e., a true formula series.

It seems that Ecclestone has recently run into further problems. This one regarding his comments...

Jewish Congress calls for Ecclestone to resign

NEW YORK (AP) - The World Jewish Congress is calling for Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone to resign after he was quoted as saying that Adolf Hitler "got things done."

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has the World Jewish Congress calling for his resignation.

In the interview with London's The Times newspaper, Ecclestone also said democracy "hasn't done a lot of good for many countries - including this one."

In a statement Sunday, Ronald Lauder, president of the World Jewish Congress, says Ecclestone is not fit to serve as head of Formula One and calls on teams, drivers and host countries to suspend their cooperation with him.

Ecclestone, who owns F1's commercial rights, has drawn criticism before. He once said women should dress in white "like all other domestic appliances."

What was he thinking!?!

Difficult to tell Billy. It's just as likely he wasn't talking nonsense but actually doesn't think lil' ol' Adolf was all bad. They guy is a douche either way.

Certainly, I won't go into Max Mosely's thoughts on the subject as it would be unfair to tarnish him with his granddad's baggage, although Max does like to be paddled by hookers dressed in interesting attire.

Truly an odd couple. Such a shame this split didn't happen. I'm watching Indy Car regularly this yr and enjoying it and also still following NASCAR when it's on early enough. Not quite sold on the delights of ovals just yet but it's growing on me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8141428.stm

The eight members of the Formula 1 Teams Association (Fota) walked out of a meeting with the sport's governing body, the FIA, on Wednesday.

The meeting, at Germany's Nurburgring, was held to discuss next year's rules and Fota's proposed changes to them.

But the Fota teams left when told they had not entered the 2010 championship and therefore had no voting rights on technical and sporting regulations...

Just ridiculous.

/>http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8141428.stm

The eight members of the Formula 1 Teams Association (Fota) walked out of a meeting with the sport's governing body, the FIA, on Wednesday.

The meeting, at Germany's Nurburgring, was held to discuss next year's rules and Fota's proposed changes to them.

But the Fota teams left when told they had not entered the 2010 championship and therefore had no voting rights on technical and sporting regulations...

Just ridiculous.

It appears dirty tricks are being dealt out.