Zimmers comments

icehole3

That is sad news about Shirley and I can only hope he lights the fire to get him going. With the trade of Orien, it gave Shirley an opportunity. If he doesn't take advantage of that chance, I don't think he will be getting many more. I'm so happy Zimmer is the D-coordinator...

That is sad news about Shirley and I can only hope he lights the fire to get him going. With the trade of Orien, it gave Shirley an opportunity. If he doesn't take advantage of that chance, I don't think he will be getting many more. I'm so happy Zimmer is the D-coordinator...

I didnt get the impression they would cut Shirley, Zimmer followed it up with he needed to work on getting his hands on the OLineman and that it takes a few years for DLineman to get it. He basically said with Sims the light came on and that he needs to keep at it.

Shame on shirly hopefully he atleast earns the 4th spot because I liked the beefy he added to our Dline,As for Mcdonald be nice for him to work out I just don't like his size I thought we were finally getting away from undersized DT's on the roster unless they were our elephant DE's....

I'm so happy Zimmer is the D-coordinator...

Me too. I'd like to think that he had an impact on our draft this year now that he had a year under his belt with this team. I love his intensity and hopefully he can light a fire under some guys that Marvin may have lost now that he's been here for going on seven seasons. I do hope that Marvin is able to improve things but I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmer gets his first head coaching job here if/when Marvin leaves.

I'm not in the line of thought that Shirley is going to get cut this year. I would almost bet he wouldn't. However, I'm saying if he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity given THIS year, it may be his last as I see the Bengals drafting a DT early next year.

I'm not in the line of thought that Shirley is going to get cut this year. I would almost bet he wouldn't. However, I'm saying if he doesn't take advantage of the opportunity given THIS year, it may be his last as I see the Bengals drafting a DT early next year.

Indeed,Been wanting a huge athletic DT like him well since Ngata! ^_^ so really do hope he turns out if not DT seems very likely in the top half of the draft next year.

Shirley's size and noted athleticism is what has really intriugued me. He's certainly the build of DT that Marvin most certainly wants to have here, but he's still not there yet. There was talk of Ellis last year, Raji this year, trying to trade for Rogers the year before, and now we have Tank on a one year deal. After trading Harris, I view this as Shirley's last shot before they actually use that high draft pick to lock up the position, pushing him further down the depth chart.

There are some serious DT's coming out next year that I could see Zimmer just chomping at the bit to bring in and shore up the D-line.

I don't think Shirley's status has changed, good or bad. I see him a long-term project in almost exactly the same way Stacey Andrews was, and I'm guessing if Shirley sees the field sooner than the Dancing Bear it will only be due to the OL being a more difficult position to grasp.

Suh or Cody would look very good in a Bengals uni.

Couldn't agree more...

Cody would be perfect, but we'll almost have to hope for a 5-win or less season to even have a shot at him, IMO. I hope Shirley is more Peko than Mathias Askew, but I don't see him being cut unless he horribly underperforms this pre-season and even then, the Bengals would need to shop for a backup with the size and ability to back up Peko.

Marvin has shown the penchant for saving roster spots for phenomenal athletes who are raw football players, in the hopes he can develop them into high-priced UFAs for other teams, who eventually turn into compensatory picks like Caldwell and Coffman, or guys that are "key pieces" to the perpetual "rebuilding" cycle..

Or something like that.

Suh or Cody would look very good in a Bengals uni.

Couldn't agree more...

Cody would be perfect, but we'll almost have to hope for a 5-win or less season to even have a shot at him, IMO. I hope Shirley is more Peko than Mathias Askew, but I don't see him being cut unless he horribly underperforms this pre-season and even then, the Bengals would need to shop for a backup with the size and ability to back up Peko.

Marvin has shown the penchant for saving roster spots for phenomenal athletes who are raw football players, in the hopes he can develop them into high-priced UFAs for other teams, who eventually turn into compensatory picks like Caldwell and Coffman, or guys that are "key pieces" to the perpetual "rebuilding" cycle..

Or something like that.

5 wins or less

\/ we draft that man :P

Couldn't agree more there Kaz. If the Bengals look like a big bag of "Duh" out there this season and find themselves in the top 6 again, Mays would be the guy I want with little to no thought. He's just a freak that doesn't come around but every great once in a while. I'll be watching him this year.

Next year looks like a extremely rare year for DTs, with as many as 5 or 6 going in the 1st round. Pat Sims, Tank and Shirley better show something this year. Outside of CB and RB (maybe), I like how we look on paper right now.

...but then again, that's on paper, and on paper we looked like a 13-3 team prior to '06 season.

We can't be thinking about next years draft already...lol. If I was though taylor mayes is going to be a top ten pick after this year. I hope we have no chance but I would love to have him...lol.

I'm always thinking about the draft. I love watching the young college players and seeing how they might be able to produce at the next level and how who we get is going to help us. I may try something new this season in the college forum to track some of these guys. I LOVE THE DRAFT !!!

There are some monsterous DT's that I could see us looking at in the early rounds, but Mays will be a beast !!!

Terrance Cody, Brandon Spikes, or Ndamukong Suh would be the guys I would be looking at for next years draft, hopefully Mays (being a probable top 5 pick) will be long gone by the time the Bengals pick. Always looking at the front seven. Also wouldn't mind Greg Hardy, George Selvie, or Jermaine Gresham (though TE is likely not going to be a top priority). Trent Williams and Ciron Black would be good choices at Tackle if we decide to go that direction factoring that Okung will probably go top 5 as well.

A Linebacking corp of Rivers, Maualuga, and Spikes would be incredible.

I was wanting Spikes THIS year had he in fact declared. He will be something to watch this year as well.

Getting back on track here, Zimmer has to be loving what he's got in place and what he could build this defense into.

I'll follow that with Marvin has to be overjoyed to have someone that he doesn't have to worry about taking over the playcalling from as well.

Fitzgerald is also a BIG piece of what this defense is turning into !!!