Anyone have hopes for J. Simpson?

walzav29

He went out to Cali. to work with Palmer, he's at OTA's, and he went to the rookie camp. Do they all do that? or is this guy really trying?

I have hopes for any Cincinnati draft prospect. Especially those who seem to be putting forth an effort to succeed. Simpson appears to be one of those.

Thornton said he dominated in practice. I take that with a grain of salt though... given that they felt the need to pursue Coles the second Housh left.

That said, with the amount of effort he's putting in, I think he could have a real shot at taking Henry's spot at #3. We all know Marvin doesn't care for Henry all that much, and I've had concerns about his effort as well as alligator arms he has shown when going across the middle.

No one needs to convince me about Henry's ability by the way. I think he's the most gifted WR on the roster... but I can point to a turning point when he took a hit in a Steeler game in '07. He's heard footsteps ever since. My guess is that Simpson will be given every opportunity to get playing time.

Thornton said he dominated in practice. I take that with a grain of salt though...

As would I. JT hasn't dominated a single thing since he came here from Tennessee. He couldn't even keep his job as a defensive Captain for crissakes. If he wants to suddenly transform himself at this late stage in his career, I'd tell him to give it your best shot. That's the one we haven't seen yet.

Thornton said he dominated in practice. I take that with a grain of salt though...

As would I. JT hasn't dominated a single thing since he came here from Tennessee. He couldn't even keep his job as a defensive Captain for crissakes. If he wants to suddenly transform himself at this late stage in his career, I'd tell him to give it your best shot. That's the one we haven't seen yet.

I meant that Thornton said that Simpson dominated. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I meant that Thornton said that Simpson dominated. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

I clearly understand what you said ds. My point was JT wouldn't know what player domination was, even if it was lodged deep in his a$$. ^_^

I clearly understand what you said ds. My point was JT wouldn't know what player domination was, even if it was lodged deep in his a$$. ^_^

Gotcha. Although... given the fact that Thornton had more sacks than any other Bengal last year, and the quality of the Bengals O-Line, I wouldn't have a problem believing that he would have felt at his most dominant on the practice field.

I think that I would have felt a little better about him if he had saw more playing time last year, I know that he has been working out with CPalmer in L.A., but so has ACaldwell and CHenry, so I guess my hopes are not to high, but it may be a surprise on how how he does this year...

Patience. TJ and Chad were drafted in 2001 and Chad didn't do anything until 2002 and TJ nothing until 2004. If the man is putting in the time to go with his natural abilities he can only improve.

I think he's a long way ahead of some of the WR's you guys are worried he'll become....Bennie Brazell, that fast kid from Nevada, etc...

Patience. TJ and Chad were drafted in 2001 and Chad didn't do anything until 2002 and TJ nothing until 2004. If the man is putting in the time to go with his natural abilities he can only improve.

I think he's a long way ahead of some of the WR's you guys are worried he'll become....Bennie Brazell, that fast kid from Nevada, etc...

I have no doubt about that, cincyhokie, but we're talking about a 2nd round pick, that's the big difference. I believe Bennie was a 6th rounder at best. On pure talent alone JSimpson warranted the 2nd round grade, but he hasn't put it all together on the football field, even in college. I would truly be surprised if he locked down the #3 spot this year, but I do expect to start seeing him flash some of that talent on the field, and be a major contributor by year 3.

I won't really be that concerned until next year. Not to say I don't expect to see something out of him this season, but if I'm betting, giving him another season to learn things will go a long way. If he was truly hurt (as Marvin has said) last season as opposed to just not getting it (as Marvin has said) then I would expect more this season. I never really got that they were talking out of both sides of their mouth about Simpson last year.

I'm hoping for an improvement and will be happy...

Regardless... you've got to respect a kid who puts on his blue collar and goes out and works his ass off the whole offseason to try to get better.

Remember when Chad used to work hard, and thus became a fan favorite? Ahh... memories.

I have to say derek, you have been right on in most of your posts today. Nice job!

Regardless... you've got to respect a kid who puts on his blue collar and goes out and works his ass off the whole offseason to try to get better.

Remember when Chad used to work hard, and thus became a fan favorite? Ahh... memories.

I have to say derek, you have been right on in most of your posts today. Nice job!

Alright! Maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead.

They only drafted him because athletically he's very similiar to Carl Pickens. I hope he and Caldwell have excellent careers here in Cincy', but I'm always very leery about Michigan runningbacks, Penn State Runningbacks, Quarterbacks from the SEC, and Wide Receivers from the University of Florida!(Caldwell).

Let's just hope the Bengals offensive line keep Palmer upright and healthy so he can throw to whoever!! :cheers:

The good news is that Simpson will be better than what he was last year, which might not be saying a whole helluva lot.

The bad news is that as a 2nd round pick from last year, he will almost be the 3rd receiver by default at some point this season.

We all know that the Bengals HATE to admit missing on high-draft picks (see Ratliff, Keiwan), so we'll know for sure if he has the ability to be a player by season's end. It seems to me that Simpson is doing all that he can to be a good football player and it's up to the coaching staff to put him in positions in which he can succeed, while maximizing his natural ability.

He could end up being anywhere from the next Braylon Edwards to the next Reggie Williams (Jacksonville).

I have pretty high hopes for Jerome but at the same time I understand that his adjustment to the NFL is going to take some time. It usually takes a year or two for most normal WR prospects to make any impact in the NFL and I expect it will take him at least 2 to do so. He has a very intriguing skill set to pair with some really rare athletic attributes. He also seems to be a hard worker which is even more encouraging IMO. Simpson is a pretty strange case but I think if there is one thing this team seems to be adept at, it is in evaluating WRs. Hopefully we can see some flashes this year but I'm not really expecting much TBH.

The good news is that Simpson will be better than what he was last year, which might not be saying a whole helluva lot.

The bad news is that as a 2nd round pick from last year, he will almost be the 3rd receiver by default at some point this season.

We all know that the Bengals HATE to admit missing on high-draft picks (see Ratliff, Keiwan), so we'll know for sure if he has the ability to be a player by season's end. It seems to me that Simpson is doing all that he can to be a good football player and it's up to the coaching staff to put him in positions in which he can succeed, while maximizing his natural ability.

He could end up being anywhere from the next Braylon Edwards to the next Reggie Williams (Jacksonville).

Wow, two really crappy WR's to pick from there, hopefully he does not drop as many passes as either one of those stone handed players.