Will there be anybody left to trade Chad with?

Dadraftnick

Suddenly, everybody is looking to trade their WR,and while Marvin and Mikey ponder the question, the other teams in the league are doing something.

There are already guys like,Braylon Edawrds,Anquan Bolden, and TE Tony Gonzalas being mentioned in trades and guys like Plaxico Buress that teams can pick up with out giving up picks.

Mike had better make up his mind what Chad is worth and if he is even going to trade him.

Because, while he gets blisters from counting and recounting his cash the othe teams in the league( the ones with REAL GM's) are making decisions and doing something.

The teams that want a WR are moving on and looking to make a deal and pretty soon the market is going to dry up and there will be nobody left to make a deal with.

Giants in trade talks with Browns for Edwards

Sources close to the New York Giants confirmed the club is working on a deal that could deliver Cleveland wide receiver Braylon Edwards before or during the April 25 draft. However, they said that no deal has been consummated and that it is a work in progress.

Advertisement

"But something is going on," said one league executive, "and the Giants are in the middle of it."

Edwards is attractive to the Giants for two reasons: 1) He's a wide receiver with size and productivity and 2) he's available. With the release of Plaxico Burress, the Giants are desperate for a go-to wide receiver, and last year's numbers prove it. Burress and Amani Toomer had eight touchdowns between them, but they're gone. The wide receivers that return combined for five TDs, with no one having more than two.

"The Giants have a lot of No. 3 receivers," said an NFC scout, "so there's definitely a need."

That's where Edwards would come in. The 6-feet-3, 215-pound receiver reached the Pro Bowl two years ago when he had a career-high 80 catches for 1289 yards and 16 touchdowns -- with scoring receptions in 11 of the Browns' 16 games. The yards receiving and touchdown catches each were franchise records.

But that's good Braylon. Bad Braylon returned last season when he dropped a slew of passes, and the Browns struggled to score. They ranked 31st in offense, tied for 30th in scoring and slumped to a 4-12 finish -- provoking owner Randy Lerner to fire his coach and general manager. Still, Edwards managed to haul down a team-best 55 passes, average 16 yards a catch and make four receptions of 40 or more yards.

Edwards has his share of detractors, and it appears as if the new regime in Cleveland belongs to that club. How else do you explain Cleveland shopping him when it has virtually no playmakers left in its offensive huddle? It is unclear what the Browns want in exchange for Edwards, but it almost surely includes a package with a high draft pick. The Giants have the 29th choice of the draft.

Sources close to the Giants said they believe the team's GM, Jerry Reese, is mulling his options and may pull the trigger by next weekend's draft. Of course, that was the feeling a year ago when the Giants were in the middle of the Jeremy Shockey trade talks with New Orleans, and they didn't act there until training camp.

But this is different because the Giants aren't trying to get rid of a problem; they're trying to solve one, and Edwards could fill a huge hole in the Giants' offense. Remember, after they lost Burress last season the Giants dropped four of their last five games -- including a playoff defeat to Philadelphia. Not having their most dangerous receiver affected the league's best rushing attack, with defenses dropping a safety in the box to defend what the Giants do best -- practically daring them to beat them with their outside receivers.

It didn't happen. Eli Manning had two touchdowns and four interceptions in his last five starts, and the Giants -- once the pick to defend their Super Bowl title -- faded in January, dropping a 23-11 decision to Philadelphia in the divisional round of the playoffs.

This is from Mike Lombardi's Q&A on CBSsports.com on Chad's worth

Diner News: What is Ocho's trade value?

April 13, 2009

By Michael Lombardi

National Football Post

Michael Lombardi surveys NFL topics in newspapers from around the country and adds in his own analysis and perspective.

Advertisement

FROM JOE REEDY OF THE CINCINNATI ENQUIRER... Whenever he's been asked, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has said he expects (Chad) Ocho Cinco to be here and that he should have a good season. But at the league meetings a couple weeks ago, Lewis also said something that can be construed as a personal challenge to Ocho Cinco "In order to get back to being the Chad Johnson that everybody feared, he was a guy who worked very, very hard at his craft. And if you don't do that, it falls away very quickly and people forget about you." So will Ocho Cinco be traded? Unlike last year, when there was a zero percent chance, it's slightly possible. There is only one person who is going to make the final decision, and that is club president Mike Brown.

Lombardi: Every year in the NFL, you have to prove yourself. One bad year, and many personnel people will suspect your career is nearing the end. Clearly, the wide receiver formerly known as Chad Johnson is at a crossroads in his career. He must prove that he can still be the No. 1 receiver on the field and still has the skill level to make plays. Last season, with Palmer injured and the offensive line not playing well, it was hard to judge Johnson's play fairly. Or was it?

Last year was a disaster for Johnson, who had just 53 catches and barely averaged 10 yards a catch. However, for a big-play receiver, the most alarming number was that his biggest play of the year was only 26 yards. That would have to concern any team wanting to trade for him. How can the Bengals get fair value based on his 2008 season? At 31 years old, Johnson must prove he hasn't hit the wall and can recharge his game. However, for trade purposes, how can any team make a move for him and know what they'll be getting besides a player with great name recognition? On paper, having Chad Johnson might look good. On the field, it's an iffy proposition.

What would you pay for Johnson? The head coach of the Bengals, Marvin Lewis, seems to imply that Johnson was not ready to play last year in terms of his overall conditioning. As you get older in the NFL, you must work harder and prepare your body for the rigors of the season. Jerry Rice was the master of this he worked harder as he got older, knowing the first slip in his game would cost him his career.

With Johnson's trade value diminished as a result of his play in '08, what do you suspect Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edward's value to be? As I reported Sunday in my National Football Post notes column, the Browns seem to be willing to trade Edwards and have an offer of a No. 1 on the table from a team -- calm down, Eagles fans they might not be inclined to pay for a player who leads the league in drops -- but are looking for more. Edwards will be a free agent at the end of the year, so his contract is a concern for any team that would be willing to pay a high draft choice. Therefore, to trade Edwards, the Browns must find a team willing to pay their price and willing to pay Edwards' price. From what I'm hearing, they have at least one team prepared to make the move.

The key to finalizing a trade for Edwards is that the team acquiring him must satisfy two interrelated thoughts. It must feel good about extending his contract at the right number, and it must believe that Edwards will overcome all his drops. How can any team feel secure in a new deal if it suspects he may lead the league in drops again? I respect Edwards' talent, but I know he's a hit or miss receiver who might be the player he was in 2007 but also might be the player he was in 2008.

In this draft, besides Michael Crabtree, Edwards would be better than any other wideout, so it makes sense for a team to trade for his services. I don't doubt that the Browns have a No. 1 on the table, but until you can satisfy the two elements I mentioned, there will always be doubt in the consistency of his play.

I thought it over and I would take a 2rd and 3rd for Chad and maybe a FB thrown in I think that would be fair payment, I would even consider a pair of 3rd's or a high 3rd & 4th.--- that way Mike is not paying for those high picks.

Chad has decided to sabotage the team if they dont trade him so, its to me, its an easy question.

I think that Mike thinks that maybe Chad sells tickets but , he turns more sickens more people than he excites.

I think that the only thing that is keeping Chad from already being out the door is Mike eathing the money from the cap hit and Mike has always put money before winning.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it over and I would take a 2rd and 3rd for Chad and maybe a FB thrown in I think that would be fair payment, I would even consider a pair of 3rd's or a high 3rd & 4th.

but...but... all the people with their Chad blinders still on SWEAR he is worth AT LEAST a 1st rounder. :rolleyes:

I said months ago that no way Chad is worth anymore than a 2nd or a 3rd. I stand by that.

I think that the only thing that is keeping Chad from already being out the door is Mike eating the money from the cap hit and Mike has always put money before winning.

Well you are half right. The other half is Mike Brown's stubbornness. "Chad Johnson WILL honor his contract here, I don't care how many 1st rounders they offer me. Nobody puts Katie into a corner."

but...but... all the people with their Chad blinders still on SWEAR he is worth AT LEAST a 1st rounder. :rolleyes:

At this point I'd say the only ones with blinders on are those who still believe Chad will be traded at all. As for why there probably won't be a trade you start with the very trade rumors admitting the Bengals haven't decided yet if they even want to trade Chad.....which pretty implies any trade talks that MIGHT have taken place aren't very serious. Then factor in their refusal to give Chad's agent permission to broker a trade....which any team would do if they were actually attempting to trade the player. Finally, factor in what is almost unanimously believed to be thier asking price, a 1st and a 3rd....which every eye-rolling dink like you feels is ridiculously inflated. Why ask for so much if you know doing so will only discourage other teams from bidding at all? So ask yourself, does it seem to you like the Bengals are even trying to trade Chad?

I said months ago that no way Chad is worth anymore than a 2nd or a 3rd. I stand by that.

And I still say he's worth a 1st and a 3rd, and if no other team is willing to bid that much....no trade. So which of us is more correct?

Well you are half right. The other half is Mike Brown's stubbornness. "Chad Johnson WILL honor his contract here, I don't care how many 1st rounders they offer me. Nobody puts Katie into a corner."

Typical. Whine about how little Chad is worth in one sentence and in the next whine about the kings ransom Mike Brown keeps turning down.

From Mark Maske/Washington Post, April 15, 2009; 11:19 AM ET:

"Another wide receiver whose name has come up in trade speculation is the Cincinnati Bengals' Chad Ocho Cinco. But he's coming off an injury-filled season in which his production slipped, and the Bengals have given no indication that they're willing to listen to trade offers for him."

Typical. Whine about how little Chad is worth in one sentence and in the next whine about the kings ransom Mike Brown keeps turning down.

Hardly whining. Merely stating facts.

soP was offered the 1st and 3rd you dream of, and he turned it down. That ship has now sailed. Now Chad is worth a 2nd and some change. But soP is still probably either is

a. still holding out for that 1st and 3rd, despite the opinions of "dinks" like me

or

b. "Chad Johnson WILL honor his contract here, I don't care how many 1st rounders they offer me. Nobody puts Katie into a corner."

Pretty simple.

"Another wide receiver whose name has come up in trade speculation is the Cincinnati Bengals' Chad Ocho Cinco. But he's coming off an injury-filled season in which his production slipped, and the Bengals have given no indication that they're willing to listen to trade offers for him."

Typical Mike Brown. I see him trying to move him when he has no value. That way if we get a 5th for him, he'll only have to pay 5th round money instead of 1st or 2nd.

Hardly whining. Merely stating facts.

Since when do opinions qualify as facts around here?

Now Chad is worth a 2nd and some change.

Prove it. Find me even a shred of evidence and I'll be impressed.

But soP is still probably either.....

Something tells me when a poster starts throwing around nuggets like..."probably either"....the next thing written isn't going to be fact related.

Typical Mike Brown. I see him trying to move him when he has no value. That way if we get a 5th for him, he'll only have to pay 5th round money instead of 1st or 2nd.

Typical Whur Chad. He quotes a writer who notes how there's been no indication the Bengals are even willing to listen to offers and then concludes a trade hasn't happened yet because Mike Brown needs Chad's trade value to go lower.

Do you guys even listen to yourselves?

According to John Clayton, Braylon will be going to the Giants sometime before next weekend for a 1st and "some combination of a 3rd or a player". I guess it's Philly or bust for Chad, unless the Bengals can entice Washington to get in the bidding. My thought remains that we'll either see Chad playing for the Bengals next season or they'll go the way of the Giants, Colts and Rams and release their star WR.

I'm really OK with any scenario that involves Chad playing for a new team in '09, at this point. The Bengals only won 2 games of the 13 he played in last season (2 wins and 3 losses in games he didn't play), and he personally contributed 8 catches and 70 yards in the games he played last year that the Bengals won. In fact, his last 100 yard game came against a 1-win Miami Dolphins team the final game of the season in December 2007 (Only 2 games over 90 yards receiving since Week 7 of '07, including the Dolphins game). Clearly, he's not impacting the Bengals ability to win football games any longer, so let's move on already.

Check it out--

Per a league source, long-time starting center Todd McClure has been boycotting offseason workouts. We’re told that he is contemplating retiring or holding out if he doesn’t get a new contract.

Per NFLPA records, McClure is under contract for three more seasons, at salaries of $1.4 million in 2009, $1.6 million in 2010, and $1.7 million in 2011.

Sound familiar?

As far as I can tell this guy's agent is ..........you ready?...... Drew Rosenhaus!

I can't f-ing belive this guy, Drew Rosenhaus is the biggest A-hole in the world.

A contract means nothing - Every player that he represents has either pulled or will be pulling this T.O. , must be traded, become an A-hole,stratagy- its the Rosenhaus business plan.

When you look at Chad BEFORE Drew Rosenhaus he had one thing on his mind - to be the best WR in the NFL and he was on his way to a Hall of Fame type career and and maybe a Super Bowl.

While Chad may have been a little over the top and nutty at times( most good WR's are) he worked his a$$ off to be the best, he loved the game and the Bengals.

Then he signs with Rosenhaus and not only becomes the biggest A-hole he can be but, he sabatoges the team by the worst play of his career by catching (enough to keep up his #of catches) only to fumble them, get a penality, or drop nearly all 3rd down passes.

He has undermined the his coaches , teamates,the team,and the NFL with his actions and become a general cancer just for a few dollars more.

I dont know what Rosenhaus does to the players that he represents, I know that I saw him on a TV interview one day before he started his "turn a player into T.O" stratagy,and one of the things that was revealed was he called every player EVERYDAY that he represented and the players all said that he would talk their ears and they pleaded with him to stop calling them but he would'nt.

So I guess its like a brain washing type of thing- he is the pimp and they are the ho's.

I dont have any problem with a player getting all he can for services and I dont have any problem with an agent getting all he can for the guys he represents, but when is a contract a contract with this guy?

If I am a GM on draft day, I would take every player off the board that he represnts(and never sign one of his player in free agency), its not worth it, to have a player be a cancer to your team , just to have an excuse to re-negociate his contract.

I think that is what happen last year, Rosenhaus represented several of the top rated WR's, that should have been 1st rnd picks - none of them were taken in the 1st,which is very rare to have no teams to take a WR in 1st rnd I think its because, teams did not want a Rosenhaus player on their team.

Which may make it even harder to trade Chad- teams are seeing Chad as another T.O. and thinking of dealing with Rosenhaus.

Going, going , gone?

The door is begining to close on trading Chad.

Everybody that wanted a WR is setting up trades while , Mikey Boy sleeps.

Anquan Bolden ( also surprise, a Rosenhaus client) is about to be traded for a 1st and a 3rd rnd pick.

While Bolden has asked for a trade and pushed it hard, he has not made an a$$ of himself and sabataged his team, the way that Chad has(at the urging of Rosenhaus) so it looks like Rosenhaus has played and used Chad and will be getting paid (again) for a new contract for Bolden at Chads expense.

At least Bolden played it right, while Chad ruined his name , any chance of being in the the Hall of Fame and the performance of his team. Bolden went to a Super Bowl and respectfuly ask for a trade and got it.

Still, if Bolden is worht a 1 and 3 - what is Chad worth? How much less money is Chad worth to another team after his antics?

PFT

For Boldin

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2009, 11:25 a.m.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that the Arizona Cardinals are telling prospective suitors for receiver Anquan Boldin that at least a first-round pick and a third-round pick will be needed to get the deal done.

Per Paolantonio, the Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Ravens have shown interest.

Boldin said recently that he’d love to play for the Dolphins, but it’s unknown whether Miami will get into the mix. Other teams that could (or should) be interested include, in our estimation, the Jaguars, Vikings, Titans, Colts, Chiefs, 49ers, Browns (if they trade Braylon Edwards) and Rams.

We also think that, if any current NFL receiver other than Hines Ward screams out “Pittsburgh Steeler” in the way he plays the game, it’s Boldin. And with Ward possibly inching toward the end of the rope, it might make a lot of sense to add his eventual replacement sooner rather than later.

The Eagles have the most ammunition to get a deal done, with a couple of first-round picks and ten other selections. The Giants have the clearest need, but they’d be better off with a guy with the kind of speed to stretch the field. The Eagles potentially have a player like that in DeSean Jackson. Boldin and Kevin Curtis would provide a formidable duo for the underneath routes. If opposing defense lock onto either of them, Jackson will face single coverage at best

Mike had better make up his mind what Chad is worth and if he is even going to trade him.

I think that Mike thinks that maybe Chad sells tickets but , he turns more sickens more people than he excites.

What if he has made up his mind and isn't trading him? What if your gut instinct that Chad's "box office" appeal has run out is just not accurate? Both of those things are not only possible, but perhaps even likely.

In my opinion, one bad year without an NFL caliber QB and an injury does not drop his value as much as many seem to think. Every reciever out there that is rumored or known to be traded has thier issues and Chad may be cheaper because in a bigger market (NYC) he may not necessarily need a new contract. He would make more money doing endorsements and ads then he could ever get here and he may decide not to demand a new contract in exchange for his freedom. Braylon Edwards is a ritual butterfingers and Boldin will be the most expensive (trade compensation and contract compensation). If teams can convince themselves that last year was explained by Carson's injury and the feud he had with the team then his value is as high as it's always been. Has he lost a step? No. Sure he runs the wrong routes a bunch (probably due to Brat trying to make the offense more complex by adding wrinkles to old ineffective plays instead of drawing up new ones), but when he knows where he is supposed to be he runs awesome routes. And yes he is 31, but again has he lost a step? His skills are still there and any team that gets him is going to get an invigorated challenged Chad which in my opinion is worth at least a 1st and a 3rd especially if one of the picks is a WR who most likely will take a few years to deveolp.

Now I think the thing most people are forgetting is that there is nowhere for a leak of info to come from here. If everyone is correct in saying that MB is the one that makes this decision, then do you really think he's going to tell anyone that would leak it? Seriously? And don't you think that if he is so secretive about even giving the indication that they might maybe want to trade Chad then don't you think he would mention this need to keep this quiet to the person(s) he would have spoken about this with? This is the time of year for smoke screens and posturing so I don't believe most of what a certain GM or scout said about our trade intentions. Everyone has an agenda that doesn't include keeping us informed unless it serves a purpose. Also, the idea of trading Chad to someone with a low 1st round pick will be to step in front of another team for someone we covet (C or RB probably). Would it make much sense to even put the notion out there that you are considering it and give a team a chance to jump in front of you?

The point is, just because poeople haven't been given the impression that Chad is on the block doesn't mean he isn't and it also doesn't mean his value is down. It just means that you, myself, and everyone with an opinion about it won't know dick until the draft and even then Chad's only worth what MB wants for him.

Now I think the thing most people are forgetting is that there is nowhere for a leak of info to come from here. If everyone is correct in saying that MB is the one that makes this decision, then do you really think he's going to tell anyone that would leak it? Seriously?

Perhaps, but information leaks from both ends of the hose. For example, we know about the numbers involved in the TJ pursuit because Seattle wanted it splashed on front pages. We knew Roy Williams and Tank Johnson were visiting Cincinnati because of Dallas sources. We know Levi is on the trading block because the Chicago Sun Times let the news leak to Bear fans.

As for Chad, we've only heard from sportswriters, bloggers, and talking heads that he's on the trading block. Even more telling, Michael Smith, the very source of the Eagle rumors, has since admitted the Bengals haven't yet decided whether to trade Chad, and haven't given his agent permission to seek a trade. So if you ignore Smith's opinions, and judge his rant soley on the facts he rather reluctantly admitted to later, it actually implies no serious trade talks have taken place between the Eagles and Bengals. In fact, I think it's fairly likely they haven't spoken at all. Nor do I think there was anything to the rumors about a Chad trade to the Raiders.

In my opinion, one bad year without an NFL caliber QB and an injury does not drop his value as much as many seem to think. Every reciever out there that is rumored or known to be traded has thier issues and Chad may be cheaper because in a bigger market (NYC) he may not necessarily need a new contract. He would make more money doing endorsements and ads then he could ever get here and he may decide not to demand a new contract in exchange for his freedom. Braylon Edwards is a ritual butterfingers and Boldin will be the most expensive (trade compensation and contract compensation). If teams can convince themselves that last year was explained by Carson's injury and the feud he had with the team then his value is as high as it's always been. Has he lost a step? No. Sure he runs the wrong routes a bunch (probably due to Brat trying to make the offense more complex by adding wrinkles to old ineffective plays instead of drawing up new ones), but when he knows where he is supposed to be he runs awesome routes. And yes he is 31, but again has he lost a step? His skills are still there and any team that gets him is going to get an invigorated challenged Chad which in my opinion is worth at least a 1st and a 3rd especially if one of the picks is a WR who most likely will take a few years to deveolp.

Now I think the thing most people are forgetting is that there is nowhere for a leak of info to come from here. If everyone is correct in saying that MB is the one that makes this decision, then do you really think he's going to tell anyone that would leak it? Seriously? And don't you think that if he is so secretive about even giving the indication that they might maybe want to trade Chad then don't you think he would mention this need to keep this quiet to the person(s) he would have spoken about this with? This is the time of year for smoke screens and posturing so I don't believe most of what a certain GM or scout said about our trade intentions. Everyone has an agenda that doesn't include keeping us informed unless it serves a purpose. Also, the idea of trading Chad to someone with a low 1st round pick will be to step in front of another team for someone we covet (C or RB probably). Would it make much sense to even put the notion out there that you are considering it and give a team a chance to jump in front of you?

The point is, just because poeople haven't been given the impression that Chad is on the block doesn't mean he isn't and it also doesn't mean his value is down. It just means that you, myself, and everyone with an opinion about it won't know dick until the draft and even then Chad's only worth what MB wants for him.

Can Chad still play ? Yes - But, he was so mad ( after being egged on by Rosenhaus daily) that he decided to not only not work the way be had before(which is what made him great) but, to sabotage the team- I think that the only time he didnt drop a 3rd down pass was when he didnt know it was 3rd down.

Look at the number of TD's that he put up, 4 ? From a guy that lives to do a TD dance.

All of Chad's anal antics are caught on tape for any team interested to see.

The problem is that, with all of his visits to NFL Network and published coments, he comes off like T.O.- and after the Cowgirls cut Owens he didn't exactly have teams in line for him- and the Bills got him for free(gave up no picks).

A far as Chad's endorsments go- he had an endorsement deal with degree deoderant (while playing in Cincinnati) until his personality, play,attitude,and behavior began to stink.So, I am not so sure he will get endorsement deals-does he think he will? yes.

I dont think that Mike is trying to pull off a "double secret" draft deal, Mike is hesitating because the idea of eating Chad's money is making him sick -and in the light of the Denver/Jay Cutler fiasco that just happened I think that its very hard to keep things quiet in the NFL.

As it is, there are more teams wanting to trade their WR's than there is ,teams willing to trade for a vet WR and those teams have come out and said we want to trade out WR.

The problem is , while Mike is playing around more teams are putting their WR's ,that dont have Chad's bad rep,on the market, with the draft fast approaching.

Mike needs to make a deal soon before the draft which is less than 10 days away.

Chad isnt the same guy he once was, and forget it folks he never will be. They should have gotten rid of him when they had there chance now they seem stuck with this guy. I really hate knowing that we have to live another season with him, because he will never be the same Chad we once knew.

Now I think the thing most people are forgetting is that there is nowhere for a leak of info to come from here. If everyone is correct in saying that MB is the one that makes this decision, then do you really think he's going to tell anyone that would leak it? Seriously?

Perhaps, but information leaks from both ends of the hose. For example, we know about the numbers involved in the TJ pursuit because Seattle wanted it splashed on front pages. We knew Roy Williams and Tank Johnson were visiting Cincinnati because of Dallas sources. We know Levi is on the trading block because the Chicago Sun Times let the news leak to Bear fans.

As for Chad, we've only heard from sportswriters, bloggers, and talking heads that he's on the trading block. Even more telling, Michael Smith, the very source of the Eagle rumors, has since admitted the Bengals haven't yet decided whether to trade Chad, and haven't given his agent permission to seek a trade. So if you ignore Smith's opinions, and judge his rant soley on the facts he rather reluctantly admitted to later, it actually implies no serious trade talks have taken place between the Eagles and Bengals. In fact, I think it's fairly likely they haven't spoken at all. Nor do I think there was anything to the rumors about a Chad trade to the Raiders.

All the things you mention as being leaked don't really matter in a tactical sense when it comes to the draft though. Like I said, if the point of trading Chad at this point is to get a low 1st and whatever else then we are targeting someone specific. The best guess I have is that we would be looking for our favorite C, with a home run threat RB in the 2nd(assuming A.Smith at #6, offense and running game in particular are addressed as Marvin stated was a priority). s**ttsburgh is rumored to have interest in taking a center with their 1st and probably wouldn't hesitate to jump a few spots to get in front of us to take the one we want. Is Steven A Smith's source the GM or owner? More than likely not, so who's to say MB hasn't talked with them at the meetings and told one of them they'd take a little less if they keep it top secret and maybe even say something like that they haven't even heard from them. You can always lie after the draft and say it was a last minute thing. Trading Chad has become a delicate situation with everyone so ravenous over the draft, so many recievers on the market, Chad's potential for antics if provoked, and the inevitable possibility that the trade might not be worth it if the player we want is gone. If anything goes wrong or someone backs out then we have a pissed of Chad, public, and fan base. If you keep it secret then you don'thave a hish a risk of any of that (unless the other person then talks, but if they have been silent for this long then that's not as likely). It's not something that MB would do in a sloppy way. He has the advantage of not deserately needing to trade Chad and thus the potential ability to call the shots.

That all being said, there's no proof of that being the case any more than there is a complete rufusal to trade Chad or anything in between. I'm admittedly looking at it in a way that assumes they are following a strategy with some competence, forethought, and candor. That's a big assumption considering the party involved, but one I'm willing to at least consider when you look at the Chad-related happenings of the last year. When you look at the moves the Bengals have made you have to wonder if there's a plan that involves us having 1 less WR. A 2nd and a 3rd round pick in one draft on Wr's that have relatively similar skill sets to the two malcontent WR's we have already and aggressively signing a top-fight free agent WR. These two have been working on their game all summer and have at least impressed Carson. Add Henry (who they obviously feel is worthy of a starting spot but don't trust to be there for it), Chatman, and Urruttia(sp?) and we are full with not enough spots to start all the guys that are worthy. Plus, aren't we going to emphasize the running game? Sure we may need to protect against injuries, but we can't keep a stable of 7 or 8 WR's "just in case". We usually carry 6 don't we? Then Chad shuts up all the sudden but is still not with the team for voluntaries. You have to figure if he was back to wanting to be a Bengal, he would do what he always used to do and come just to hang out with the team. All these things say he is still disgruntled and has no reason to stop campaigning, yet he has stopped saying anything except fairly politley that he has no choice but to be a Bengal. All of these things point to a holding pattern that is centered around something he is either expecting to happen or waiting to see if happens. This all happens on MB's terms or it doesn't happen at all so I don't think it's all that improbable that if he were pursuing a trade it would reflect his wishes. MB is not stupid and he's a master of taking advantage of leverage, just not evaluating talent or the destructive personality traits that often come with it.

Chad isnt the same guy he once was, and forget it folks he never will be. They should have gotten rid of him when they had there chance now they seem stuck with this guy. I really hate knowing that we have to live another season with him, because he will never be the same Chad we once knew.

I agree he won't ever be the same with us, but with another team and a renewed need to prove himself I'm not so sure. I don't think Marvin's challenges will motivate him anymore because of his pride but I can see him having a monster year for someone else just to get himself right back out in the spotlight where he thinks he belongs.

Enough already. Chad played last season with a bum shoulder, and NO Carson Palmer. Noodle-arm Fitzpatrick throws like a 12-yr old girl.

SH1T !!!!!!!!!!!! The only reason TJ caught so many balls last season, is because they were all 7-10 yd passes from Fitzpatrick. Chad is a deep threat, as evidenced by his being the only player in NFL History to lead his conference in receiving yds 4 straight seasons....Ahhhh how soon we forget. Sure, remember his injury plagued 2008 without Palmer, and Completely forget 2007 (93 rec 1,440 yds 8 TD's)

So, Sure lets remember 2008, and forget the FACT that the 6 Seasons prior to that his LOWEST receiving yardage total was 1,166 (2002).

If you dont like his attitude and mouth, that's one thing, BUT DONT dismiss the guys talent.

Enough already. Chad played last season with a bum shoulder, and NO Carson Palmer. Noodle-arm Fitzpatrick throws like a 12-yr old girl.

SH1T !!!!!!!!!!!! The only reason TJ caught so many balls last season, is because they were all 7-10 yd passes from Fitzpatrick. Chad is a deep threat, as evidenced by his being the only player in NFL History to lead his conference in receiving yds 4 straight seasons....Ahhhh how soon we forget. Sure, remember his injury plagued 2008 without Palmer, and Completely forget 2007 (93 rec 1,440 yds 8 TD's)

So, Sure lets remember 2008, and forget the FACT that the 6 Seasons prior to that his LOWEST receiving yardage total was 1,166 (2002).

If you dont like his attitude and mouth, that's one thing, BUT DONT dismiss the guys talent.

I like how we pretend that the only passes Chad ever caught prior to the '08 season were bombs.

Wasn't he one of the best slant pattern runners in the league?

Wasn't he impossible to defend when running a dig or a comeback route? Or did he really run nothing but post and go routes?

Are we to forget that he led the league in receiving and had 10 TD receptions in '03 when Kitna was the QB?

The dude literally produced less than half of his norm since the '01 season. It was all Fitzpatrick? It was all a shoulder injury that should in no way impact his ability to run a dig?

Nah... he tanked.

I don't know that Chad isn't the same player he once was but I would say his attitude sucked from the beginning last year and pretty much he didn't care. It's his attitude that's hurting his performance and the teams. Plus Ocho Cinco is getting older; therefore if they would do it I would trade him & maybe a 3rd for younger Braylon Edwards. Also are we all forgetting they took 2 WR's fairly earlier last year preparing for life without TJ & Chad.