Am I the only one thats scared

semiotter

Picking the REDS to be the DARK`HORSE team to make the playoffs. Maybe its me but I think they might be jumping the gun a little. Well lets look at this a little closer......Well they do have a very good group of starters....and the Bullpen looks solid....around the infield 1st base good...2nd base could be a all`star he has all the tools...short....we never know who we will have there .....and at 3rd dont get me started on "E" (FOR MOST ERRORS) ...IN THE OUTFIELD we got the wheels in left and center. right field is Bruce very good...new catcher this year for the REDS (all new catchers). We got Dusty running the ship, they say he is better with veterens which he has a shortage on this club. So maybe they do got a chance. Everyone is already handing the pennent to the CUBS but i think they are jumping the gun there to. So what the heck DARK HORSE team it is...GO REDS!!!!! (and Os)... :P

I like the team for the most part, Gonzalez needs to go down to the minors and get his bat back though. EE is a liability, he is suppose to cover his average fielding with a good bat, but that never seems to happen either.

SP looks good, bullpen slightly above average, closer ? still not sold on Coco, but liking him more all the time.

Tavares is a nice pick-up and loved the bunt single he had the other night, hope he is allowed to continue to lay them down.

Seems like the coaching staff has not realized that if you are going to play small ball, you have to steal some bases when the opportunity allows. I hope they stop wasting all the speed this team has and become aggressive on the base paths.

They have a chance at being good this year, I am hoping for a winning season, anything more is a bonus.

After today's 10-2 butt kicking at the hands of the Pirates, I'm having serious doubts that this season will be any different than the last one was. Yeah, I know it's very early, but nothing seems different to me.

What gets me is how the make up of this team was more speed and better defense. So far I have seen hardly any bunts or stolen bases (2), and some costly errors in the field. Some of the big free agent pick ups haven't done much either. Tavares has been sick and hardly played, and Hernandez has flat out sucked hitting a big .083 avg (1 for 12)!

So now the Reds have only one real power hitter, and nothing else has changed.

Things really need to turn around soon.

Arroyo getting his second win in as many starts is a nice way to see him start the season. I think they just need to get settled in and try their best to stay close through the first half of the season. If they can do that, they may have a chance to make a run at a wild card spot. That's best case scenario mind you...

Baker really needs to figure out how to manage a team that is built to be agressive on the base paths. So far he has not allowed the speedsters to cut it loose and get themselves moved into scoring position. Tavares has had at least half a dozen good SB opportunities and he has not been allowed to show his explosive/gamechanging speed.

I really like the Reds catchers ability to throw out opposing base runners this season, but it seems that they both lack a bat worth mention.

I watched Owings in his first start last night and thought he looked a bit on the nervous side of things, but he looked pretty good for the most part. What I didn't agree with is that when the Reds tied things back up at 3, they send Owings back out onto the mound. He gave up another run and then was yanked. Things came apart at that point, but my point is, why not pull him at that time and let their be a no decision for him instead of letting him take the loss ?? It was his first start and I'm sure he would have rather came away with a solid (albeit not stellar) performance and a no decision than to take the loss and have people questioning if Bailey wouldn't be the better option.

On a side note, I'm done with the whole Homer love fest thing at this point...

I watched Owings in his first start last night and thought he looked a bit on the nervous side of things, but he looked pretty good for the most part. What I didn't agree with is that when the Reds tied things back up at 3, they send Owings back out onto the mound. He gave up another run and then was yanked. Things came apart at that point, but my point is, why not pull him at that time and let their be a no decision for him instead of letting him take the loss ?? It was his first start and I'm sure he would have rather came away with a solid (albeit not stellar) performance and a no decision than to take the loss and have people questioning if Bailey wouldn't be the better option.

On a side note, I'm done with the whole Homer love fest thing at this point...

I know the record shows that Owings was the losing pitcher last nite, but Burton was the pitcher that lost the game for them. I was of the feeling that Baker should have given Owings the chance to pitch out of trouble after giving up the leadoff double, he could not have done worse. He yanks Micah after 1 hit but he left Burton in there for 5 runs after being hit hard repeatedly. I hate the way Baker manages this team.

Sounds like the player they got for Kepp, this Sutton kid is an up and comer. He was the Stros best minor league hitter last season and has at least the potential to be as good as Kepp has been for them.

He is kinda old to be really worth much. If I remember correctly he is 25 already. That might not sound old to many, but in the baseball world a prospect that is older than 22 loses that prospect status and becomes nothing more than a potential role player. Just an example, Edwin is 26 and it seems like he has been around for 10 years! Homer Bailey is only 22 but many think he is a bust!

What is bugging me the most about this team is it's lack of identity. In the off season fans were told this would be a team focused on pitching, defense, and producing runs with speed and fundamentals. So far I have seen a pretty good bull pen, decent starting pitching, above average defense, and no run production.

How can you produce runs with speed and run production when the players don't get on base, don't try to steal, and can't get a sacrifice or force a runner over? How many times have the Reds gotten guys on second with no outs yet can't get him over to third with a sacrifice and then home with a sac fly or a hit? This team needs guys like Rosales, Juan Fransisco, Todd Frazier, ect. up in the majors and playing. Maybe these young guys can infuse some fundamentals and a little energy into a team that has lost all that with Ryan Freel gone.

The Reds have got to get Alex Gonzalez and Ramon Hernandez out of the line up. They are horrible. Hernandez was supposed to be the answer for the Reds yet I would rather see Ryan Hannigan in there than him. Gonzalez and Hernandez can't get hits, can't bunt, can't sacrifice, I am surprised they can put their uniform on correctly.

Sounds like the player they got for Kepp, this Sutton kid is an up and comer. He was the Stros best minor league hitter last season and has at least the potential to be as good as Kepp has been for them.

He is kinda old to be really worth much. If I remember correctly he is 25 already. That might not sound old to many, but in the baseball world a prospect that is older than 22 loses that prospect status and becomes nothing more than a potential role player. Just an example, Edwin is 26 and it seems like he has been around for 10 years! Homer Bailey is only 22 but many think he is a bust!

What is bugging me the most about this team is it's lack of identity. In the off season fans were told this would be a team focused on pitching, defense, and producing runs with speed and fundamentals. So far I have seen a pretty good bull pen, decent starting pitching, above average defense, and no run production.

How can you produce runs with speed and run production when the players don't get on base, don't try to steal, and can't get a sacrifice or force a runner over? How many times have the Reds gotten guys on second with no outs yet can't get him over to third with a sacrifice and then home with a sac fly or a hit? This team needs guys like Rosales, Juan Fransisco, Todd Frazier, ect. up in the majors and playing. Maybe these young guys can infuse some fundamentals and a little energy into a team that has lost all that with Ryan Freel gone.

The Reds have got to get Alex Gonzalez and Ramon Hernandez out of the line up. They are horrible. Hernandez was supposed to be the answer for the Reds yet I would rather see Ryan Hannigan in there than him. Gonzalez and Hernandez can't get hits, can't bunt, can't sacrifice, I am surprised they can put their uniform on correctly.

A lot of the problem has to be put on the manager, he has not allowed the speedsters to be aggressive when they get on. He holds them back untill late in the counts than more often than not he hit and runs. With Taveras, Hairston and Phillips they should become very aggressive and take some chances, let them loose and see if they can do something.

A lot of the problem has to be put on the manager, he has not allowed the speedsters to be aggressive when they get on. He holds them back untill late in the counts than more often than not he hit and runs. With Taveras, Hairston and Phillips they should become very aggressive and take some chances, let them loose and see if they can do something.

I just don't think Dusty has confidence in this team and it is showing. A staple of playing small ball is the hit and run...and I can't tell you if I have even seen one this year.

Dusty also needs to get Phillips out of the clean up spot. I don't know if it is a mental thing or what, but every time Phillips comes to the plate he is swinging out of his shoes and that just isn't who he is. Phillips needs to be batting second or fifth. I would prefer he bat second because he does have 30 stolen bases ability. The ideal line up would be:

1. Willy Tavares CF

2. Brandon Phillips 2B

3. Jay Bruce RF

4. Joey Votto 1B

5. Edwin Encarnacion 3B

6. Adam Rosales SS

7. Chris Dickerson LF

8. Ryan Hannigan C

9. Whomever is pitching unless Micah Owens is pitching and then I would honestly move him up in the order to maybe the #6 or #7 spot.

How pathetic is it that a pinch hitting pitcher has as many hits as your starting shortstop?!?!?

Yeah, and Owings has the start in the first game against the Cubs coming up. I'm hoping to see something good from him.

I have given Baker room to figure things out regardless of people bashing him, but he's beginning to irritate me with some of what I've seen to this point in regards to what they do when player are on the bags. It just looks sloppy out there. It's almost like the players are doing things on their own without thought to the coaches at the corners. I've watched players running the bags, not even look at the coaches to see if they should keep running or hold up and end up either taking themselves out of scoring position or getting thrown out while not paying attention.

I know there is some that goes to the youth, but good God, c'mon already...

Rubber game today, I hope that Baker plays Hanigan, Janish, and Nix or McDonald to try and light up Zambrano. Seems as if the players that are hitting are being left on the bench way to much so far this season. Play the guys with the hot bats, this is an impoortant game this early.

Reds win 7-1 and Harang evens up at (2-2)...

However, can someone please tell me how the f*ck Gonzalez (batting .125), Encarnacion (batting .146), and Hernandez (batting .205) are still in the d*mn lineup ?? Phillips is having some issues as well, but will give him the benefit of the doubt. Seriously, you have your starting pitchers throwing well and taking the loss due to no run support and they still send those clowns out there. Just stupid...

F*cking Encarnacion went 0-4 tonight leaving 4 runners on base and striking out twice. Really ?? Unreal !!!

However, can someone please tell me how the f*ck Gonzalez (batting .125), Encarnacion (batting .146), and Hernandez (batting .205) are still in the d*mn lineup ?? Phillips is having some issues as well, but will give him the benefit of the doubt. Seriously, you have your starting pitchers throwing well and taking the loss due to no run support and they still send those clowns out there. Just stupid...

F*cking Encarnacion went 0-4 tonight leaving 4 runners on base and striking out twice. Really ?? Unreal !!!

While all the while Adam Rosales is tearing up Triple A. Rosales needs to be starting for the Reds over Gonzalez. As for Edwin, unfortunately they don't really have a third baseman they can plug in right now. The only thing they can do is put Hairston at third and start Dickerson in left every day, BUT Hairston isn't hitting all that well either. They have this kid in Double A named Juan Fransisco that hit great in Spring training and they think he will be a star, BUT he isn't hitting right now either.

Now Todd Frasier is hitting good at Double A and I thought he was in infielder but he is playing outfield there.

That's my whole thing with this...

They go 7-3 on the road against the Division with players doing as poorly as they are at the plate. Can you imagine how good this team would be if they had people in there that could at least manage a .200 BA ?? I just want to see them do well, think they have the talent to do so, and can envision them falling off if some things aren't changed. Even if those guys are just given some time to relax by taking them out of the lineup and then bring them back in later. Whatever, just do something to appear you give a sh*t about players batting .125 for Christ's sake !!!

While all the while Adam Rosales is tearing up Triple A. Rosales needs to be starting for the Reds over Gonzalez. As for Edwin, unfortunately they don't really have a third baseman they can plug in right now. The only thing they can do is put Hairston at third and start Dickerson in left every day, BUT Hairston isn't hitting all that well either. They have this kid in Double A named Juan Fransisco that hit great in Spring training and they think he will be a star, BUT he isn't hitting right now either.

Now Todd Frasier is hitting good at Double A and I thought he was in infielder but he is playing outfield there.

Two words...April 24th

The fact that there's little veteran leadership on this club is a concern, 'cause those guys (shpuld) help draw younger players out of their funks before they become prolonged slumps (I thought Sheffield would have been a great pick up). On the brighter side, there's no Junior or Dunn, who didn't mentor anybody and never *seemed* to give a sh!t.

Let's give Bruce, Gonzales, and Phillips some time to come out of their slumps before we yank 'em. As far as Jerry Jr and Edwin go, those guys have always been very streaky - both hot and cold. Unfortunately, so is Votto.

Based on the production of the 4th spot, perhaps we should bat the pitcher there. :D