• Everette Brown (DE)
    • Rey Maualuga (ILB)
    • B.J. Raji (DT)
    • Other

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so? majority's still for the manboobler, and not for "other" (quick reminder: "Vote "other" if you think one of the guys that probably won't fall WILL... (Monroe, Curry, J. Smith)").

so? majority's still for the manboobler, and not for "other"

So Jason Smith wasn't one of the options given, was he? That hardly seems unimportant right now, but what the heck.

Might as well do an emergency poll asking the reader if they prefer...

A - Pretty Titties

B - ManBoobs

so? majority's still for the manboobler, and not for "other"

So Jason Smith wasn't one of the options given, was he? That hardly seems unimportant right now, but what the heck.

Might as well do an emergency poll asking the reader if they prefer...

A - Pretty Titties

B - ManBoobs

How about C - Man Flaps ?

This is a no brainer, IF Jason Smith drops to the Bengals like he has in this mock, they have to take him. He is a pure tackle, not guy with question marks like Andre Smith is.

Despite what the poll says, you have to take Jason Smith here.

the knock on jsmith is that he has short arms. last tackle drafted very, very high who also had short arms is named Robert Gallery. he now plays guard. let's stick with the guy who'll play T in the NFL too.

With 2QB's + a WR going top 5 I would say remake the poll give it a set run time...

This is a no brainer, IF Jason Smith drops to the Bengals like he has in this mock, they have to take him. He is a pure tackle, not guy with question marks like Andre Smith is.

Minor Question marks about character vs Jason Smiths Question marks on the field... before the combine he was rated the 4th-5th tackle at best 3rd....Andre at that time was rated number 1.....

Don't you think we need to improve the second worst pass rush in the league????

How about we draft Orakpo and slide Geathers to passing downs. We do still have Levi, broke dick or not. I think getting a Center in round 2 and then getting another Olinemen with our third rounder will be OK for us. I would MUCH rather have Orakpo and I think the reason he didn't get enough votes is because of the perception that he would be gone.

And another thing, their is no way in HELL the Bengals would choose Andre Smith over Orakpo and Jason Smith. The dude got like 18 reps on the bench and he pulled the dumbest move at the combine I can remember. Why the hell would you take your shirt off when you have Man Boobs.

I don't doubt his talent, but haven't we all been bitching the last couple years about drafting people with character concerns. If those two were off the board I could see Smith, but not with someone that was considered as a possible number one pick and also the best DE in the draft who not only is a pass rushing threat, but also is stout against the run.

Benches over 500 lbs. Savage!

Andre Smith is worrisome. He was suspended from the Sugar Bowl because of his contacts with an agent,i.e., he was already looking ahead to the pros, yet he shows up to the combine unprepared and out of shape. Where is his head at? More to the point,where will it be at if the Bengals take him at #6 and he receives a multi-million dollar signing bonus?

Andre Smith is worrisome. He was suspended from the Sugar Bowl because of his contacts with an agent,i.e., he was already looking ahead to the pros, yet he shows up to the combine unprepared and out of shape. Where is his head at? More to the point,where will it be at if the Bengals take him at #6 and he receives a multi-million dollar signing bonus?

Blah blah blah. Everyone seems so concerned that he is all about the money. But players that are all about the money are the players that are mediocre until a contract year. Smith has been elite for years... and if he was all about the money, doesn't it seem like he wouldn't have blown his most important job interview in his life at the Combine?

No one really knows how to explain his combine actions... but being all about the money makes no sense at all since he likely cost himself millions. I also don't buy that he lacks a desire to play the game. When you watch him play, you can see that he has that intangible nastiness that the Bengals currently lack.

Is drafting him at #6 a roll of the dice? Of course, but so is every pick in the NFL Draft from the No.1 selection all the way down to the 256th. Some just cost more than others. And like it or not, some teams will ignore the workout numbers and prefer to turn on the tape, where it is unanimous that Smith is the best on the field OT in this draft.

As was said by one NFL O-Line coach: "Smith looks bad at everything he does except run and pass block."

And as Pat Kirwan put it...

When it comes to being a powerful road-grading tackle, he has what the other tackles lack: the lower-body strength to win on the field.

Guys who coach offensive linemen want men with long arms. Smith has the longest arms of all the potential first-round tackles.

Secondly, they want guys who can accelerate their feet to finish a run block or recover from a poor pass block. Andre Smith has the feet to do both. One coach went as far as to say "he makes things on the football field look easy."

All of that to say one thing... Andre Smith will be the best value pick at the #6 slot. Is it a gamble? Yep. Could he be a bust? Sure. But for my part, his character issues are not the kind that will hurt him on the football field. He just appears to be unprofessional and immature. But he's not being hired to do my taxes or babysit my kids. He's being hired to protect Carson Palmer. A job he has a very rare skill set for.

Blah blah blah. Everyone seems so concerned that he is all about the money. But players that are all about the money are the players that are mediocre until a contract year. Smith has been elite for years... and if he was all about the money, doesn't it seem like he wouldn't have blown his most important job interview in his life at the Combine?

No one really knows how to explain his combine actions... but being all about the money makes no sense at all since he likely cost himself millions. I also don't buy that he lacks a desire to play the game. When you watch him play, you can see that he has that intangible nastiness that the Bengals currently lack.

Is drafting him at #6 a roll of the dice? Of course, but so is every pick in the NFL Draft from the No.1 selection all the way down to the 256th. Some just cost more than others. And like it or not, some teams will ignore the workout numbers and prefer to turn on the tape, where it is unanimous that Smith is the best on the field OT in this draft.

As was said by one NFL O-Line coach: "Smith looks bad at everything he does except run and pass block."

And as Pat Kirwan put it...

When it comes to being a powerful road-grading tackle, he has what the other tackles lack: the lower-body strength to win on the field.

Guys who coach offensive linemen want men with long arms. Smith has the longest arms of all the potential first-round tackles.

Secondly, they want guys who can accelerate their feet to finish a run block or recover from a poor pass block. Andre Smith has the feet to do both. One coach went as far as to say "he makes things on the football field look easy."

All of that to say one thing... Andre Smith will be the best value pick at the #6 slot. Is it a gamble? Yep. Could he be a bust? Sure. But for my part, his character issues are not the kind that will hurt him on the football field. He just appears to be unprofessional and immature. But he's not being hired to do my taxes or babysit my kids. He's being hired to protect Carson Palmer. A job he has a very rare skill set for.

If he doesn't bust because of character issues we need to pick him. Once we get him we need to package Levi Jones with our fourth rounder and move to the second round and take Connor Barwin or Clay Matthews if they are available.

Interesting note... Previous to the Tank signing, mock drafts had Raji being selected at #6 more than any other player.

Now, in nearly all the mock drafts that have been updated today, those Raji selections have been changed to Andre Smith.

It looks more and more like Andre Smith will actually be the pick - unless there is a trade. Either way, I'll be happy.

we need to package Levi Jones with our fourth rounder and move to the second round and take Connor Barwin or Clay Matthews if they are available.

Interesting thought... but I'm not sure what Levi will command in a trade. Especially given the rumblings that the Bengals might eventually cut him anyway.

His injury history hurts his stock - which is a lot more worrisome to teams than Chad's character issues.

The Bengals 4th round pick only has a value of 80 points. The 50th overall pick (18th pick of the 2nd round) is worth 400 points. The difference being 320 points... the same value of the 58th overall pick (26th pick of the 2nd round). Do you think a team will give up 2nd round value for Levi? They could... but I wouldn't.

we need to package Levi Jones with our fourth rounder and move to the second round and take Connor Barwin or Clay Matthews if they are available.

Interesting thought... but I'm not sure what Levi will command in a trade. Especially given the rumblings that the Bengals might eventually cut him anyway.

His injury history hurts his stock - which is a lot more worrisome to teams than Chad's character issues.

The Bengals 4th round pick only has a value of 80 points. The 50th overall pick (18th pick of the 2nd round) is worth 400 points. The difference being 320 points... the same value of the 58th overall pick (26th pick of the 2nd round). Do you think a team will give up 2nd round value for Levi? They could... but I wouldn't.

I believe that Levi has 4th round value or later in a trade. His health is too questionable for teams to give up a 2nd round pick. Unless Marvin is blowing smoke up our arses, Levi will be around next year as insurance and depth, which I personally don't have a problem with. My thought is I'd rather keep him around than release/trade him for a low round pick, take a cap hit in the process and then have a need to sign a veteran LT.

Maybe the Bengals can see if Kansas City would take him straight up for Brian Waters, who said he will not play for the Chiefs again.

I can't believe people are making an argument to not take the player thought to be the best in the draft for a LONG time because of man boobs and that he took his shirt off at his pro day. Seriously ?? There's nothing else you'd like to add to that arguement ?? How about his inability to pass block ?? Of his inability to run block ?? What's that ?? He dominated at both of those skill sets like no other OT in the draft ?? Then there must be something in his game tape that is flawed right ?? Uh, nothing to indicate anything other than pro bowl potential ?? Hmmmm...

Oh I got it, man boobs. F*ck that guy, lets draft the other guy that was for a LONG never considered in the same class of OT's as Mr. Man Boobs.

I get what's being said and think that the Bengals would be hard pressed to take Andre Smith over Jason Smith, but only due to the fact they wouldn't want to deal with the media bashing that would sure to come crashing down upon them the instant they made the pick. Bottomline is, I don't believe they have the balls to make the correct decision if this situation arises.

I get what's being said and think that the Bengals would be hard pressed to take Andre Smith over Jason Smith, but only due to the fact they wouldn't want to deal with the media bashing that would sure to come crashing down upon them the instant they made the pick.
Yep... but who's going to remember that media bashing 5 years from now when he's one of the better OT's in the league? Nobody.

Who is going to remember that the Bengals took a lesser player and let a pro-bowler go to another team for fear of what Mel Kiper might say? This guy. (For visual enhancement imagine my two thumbs being aimed toward my chest)

I can't believe people are making an argument to not take the player thought to be the best in the draft for a LONG time because of man boobs and that he took his shirt off at his pro day. Seriously ?? There's nothing else you'd like to add to that arguement ?? How about his inability to pass block ?? Of his inability to run block ?? What's that ?? He dominated at both of those skill sets like no other OT in the draft ?? Then there must be something in his game tape that is flawed right ?? Uh, nothing to indicate anything other than pro bowl potential ?? Hmmmm...

Oh I got it, man boobs. F*ck that guy, lets draft the other guy that was for a LONG never considered in the same class of OT's as Mr. Man Boobs.

I get what's being said and think that the Bengals would be hard pressed to take Andre Smith over Jason Smith, but only due to the fact they wouldn't want to deal with the media bashing that would sure to come crashing down upon them the instant they made the pick. Bottomline is, I don't believe they have the balls to make the correct decision if this situation arises.

My main concerns with his actions is his lack of focus (Hiring an agent instead of focusing on the bowl game), discipline and responsibility (Leaving the combine early), and most of all his judgment (All of the above, as well as his decision to work with his shirt off)

The dude is a savage, in fact Alabama only rushed for less than 100 yards in a game all season and yep...it was the bowl game that he missed. But a LT is going to be the leader of your Oline or at least a major voice and if this guy is some idiot who is going to be constantly making bad decisions then who is to say that he doesn't go out and do drugs, get a DUI, or whatever idiotic things the Bengals players seem to get themselves into. I want a player at number six that has no questions. If we can trade down and get him a little cheaper then fine, but he has to many flags and we have been burnt to much recently to take that chance. He will cripple our inability to field a decent line as long as Carson is young enough to matter if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass off the field.