Don't we have to take an OT in the 1st or 2nd?

PhunkE1

Indeed Whitworth can't play tackle...Even though it's all he did in college....Andre SMith would be a ble guard even though he was considered most dominate tackle in this years draft.....I remember hearing people knock him as a tackle because he's only 6'4 yet he has longer arms then most of the other top rated tackles...Really just loud of BS from combine hype but I think come draft day He goes top 10 np.

Smith goes top 10 EASILY and I would be willing to bet a large amount of cash on that one...

As for Whtiworth I will restate, if the Bengals felt his best position in the NFL was at Guard, I see no reason to move him to the tackle position and then draft one of the best tackles in the draft to move him to guard. Just seems to not be the smartest thing I've heard of a team doing.

The Bengals HAVE to take an OT in the 1st rnd no matter who is there because, after the 1st 5 OT's there is not a dependable LT in the draft. -period-

You have , Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe,Eben Britton,Andre Smith,and Michael Oher- thats it.

If you do not take one of these guys you can kiss the season goodbye,

You cant skimp at the LT spot.

When you do, you end up with a guy like Melvin Tutan protecting your QB's blind side.

It is more important to have a good LT than it is any other position -period-.yes, even the QB because , a QB cannot do anything if he has someone sacking him every play.

This is especialy impotrant with Carson's injury from last year.

If you look at teams that have a bad LT they suck.

Look at how much better the Dolphins played after they got a good , dependable LT.

The Bengals HAVE to take an OT in the 1st rnd no matter who is there because, after the 1st 5 OT's there is not a dependable LT in the draft. -period-

You have , Jason Smith, Eugene Monroe,Eben Britton,Andre Smith,and Michael Oher- thats it.

When you do, you end up with a guy like Melvin Tutan protecting your QB's blind side.

It is more important to have a good LT than it is any other position -period-.yes, even the QB because , a QB cannot do anything if he has someone sacking him every play.

Look at how much better the Dolphins played after they got a good , dependable LT.

How do you feel about Oher? If the Bengals pass on Andre Smith, what would you think of packaging Chad and a 3rd rounder to say, Tampa Bay with the #19 pick and grabbing Oher there. I know Oher's draft stock has fallen... but I do think he can play, and think that would be a trade worth making - especially if the Bengals decide to go a safer route with the #6 pick.

How do you feel about Oher? If the Bengals pass on Andre Smith, what would you think of packaging Chad and a 3rd rounder to say, Tampa Bay with the #19 pick and grabbing Oher there. I know Oher's draft stock has fallen... but I do think he can play, and think that would be a trade worth making - especially if the Bengals decide to go a safer route with the #6 pick.

I think the first two tackles , Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are WAY ahead of the rest of the OT's

They are the most ready to be plugged into an NFL lineup and start for the next 10 to 15 years.

That said , the Bengals MUST draft one of the top 5 tackles.

They cannot leave the 1st rnd with out a starting LT.

The further down you go in the top 5 the more questions , the more chaces that the guy does not make it.

If they could trade down a few spots and end up getting one of the top 5 tackles and some extra picks or players I am OK with it.

Its hard to get stats on OT's I know that Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe did not give up a sack last year.

I think Jason Smith gave 1 sack.

Oher and Britton have proved hard to get the stats on.

I was impressed with Britton in one game I saw him in against a nobody, but I dont know how many sacks he gave up.

I have no idea on Oher , I know that Marvin's wife loves him.

think the first two tackles , Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe are WAY ahead of the rest of the OT's

They are the most ready to be plugged into an NFL lineup and start for the next 10 to 15 years.

I would think Andre Smith is more nfl rdy then Jason SMith is who will have to adjust to playing in a pro style offense.

PS,What I heard oher gave up 0 sacks but wasn't always from dominate play.

Not one scout, expert, analyst, coach, or anyone else can straight face claim that there is a clear cut #1 OT in this draft.

There is also no one that can further explain why Andre Smith shouldn't be put in the same category as the first two outside of a couple dumbass decisions. J. Smith, Monroe, or Oher have NEVER been looked at as the best player in the draft while for the longest time Andre Smith was thought to be a LOCK at the #1 overall spot.

I have also seen many reports that aren't sure if ANY of the LT prospects will end up actually being LT's in the NFL. I think it's a crap shoot at this point to tell you the truth. Beatty is also another OT that could go early on as well.

At this point everything is speculation. Some of us are high on ASmith, and some aren't. Could it be that Andre Smith just reminds people of another ASmith that we drafted about 10 years ago :afro: ? I'm a SEC football fan (Graduated from UGA), so I tend to look at Andre's body of work in the SEC. He dominated the SEC for the past 2 years. I also think he could play LT in this league, but that's just me. I think Andre Smith will be the best OT out of this draft, but at this point no one knows. All I know is that I would be very happy with him at #6.

On a side note, with the Cutler trade I could see Denver wanting to move up to #6 if Sanchez is still there. I would love to move back to 12 and possibly pick up another 1st day pick. I doubt ASmith lasts until 12 though.

Agreed about Smith - I was sour on him after the combine antics/comments, but I can't get past his film nor how dominate he was in arguably the best conference in football last year. I've never been so impressed by a tackle highlight video before - in particular his pass blocking. Just a natural like Willie. Of course, he also involves quite a bit more risk than Monroe or Smith, at least one of whom should be gone by #6 any ways.