Tahi signed to offer sheet 1.4mil

TJJackson

I am not so sure that Tahi is the answer at the FB spot.

One of the guys that I like in the 7 th rnd is Frank Summers RB 5-10 240 out of UNLV he put up 900+ yds and runs a 4.65 40 yd dash.

He can block and can run the ball too - in the Brandon Jacobs/ Ickey Woods FB tradition.

Most of theFB's in the draft run a 4.8 or 4.9 and cannot run the ball.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems that viking fans want a FB who can catch the bowl since peterson mainly runs out of 1sets...

Didn't seem to doubt his blocking skills and give me a lights out blocking FB with bad hands and ill be happy

Yeah, it seems they think Kleinsasser would do better, but I'd take Tahi over Coats for the Bengals. Not sure at 1.4 million, but the Bengals know more than I do, obviously.

Yeah, I trolled the Vikings board too. Most of those fans fall into two camps. The first camp is filled with morons who didn't want Tahi back because they had convinced themselves they were getting Weaver. The second camp is filled with morons who think the Vikings can easily switch Kleinsasser(sp?) from TE/HB to a full time FB role.

I can't say I walked away very impressed with our Norse brothers....although they do seen to be a happier version of stupid than you typically find on a Bengal board.

I'll defer on Tahi, because I really haven't followed up on him much, but does anyone think we couldn't find the same type of FB in the draft at a cheaper price ?? No real issues, just curious on the thoughts out there as I think there are some good FB's in this years draft.

It is looking more and more likely that we get him. The Vikes should have matched by now! I like it

I guess that works as he fills a hole for the team, but once again, I was just wondering how he is viewed over the FB's coming out in the draft ??

Sorry Army, but I have no idea whether Tahi would be so much better than anyone in the draft that he justifies being paid more.

However, I'm all for going into the draft with as few holes on our team as possible. To me, we need to have a backup plan better than Coats. It's worth it to have a little insurance policy so we don't have to go into the draft and reach for players. If the worst that could happen is we get Tahi and then turn around a draft a guy who turns out to be better, then great. Bottom line is your team is better in a critical area. The more likely scenerio is you draft a guy low and stash him on the PS or keep him as a special teamer and groom him to take Tahi's place.

I'll defer on Tahi, because I really haven't followed up on him much, but does anyone think we couldn't find the same type of FB in the draft at a cheaper price ?? No real issues, just curious on the thoughts out there as I think there are some good FB's in this years draft.

Maybe, but the Bengals have coin to spare, so I'd rather them sign a few FA's and free up the draft as much as possible to fill other needs.

he has justified that he should be paid more than an unproven draftee is he has proven that he can play at the NFL level. FB is our biggest hole outside of the O-Line, and to me, it is part of the O-Line.

I guess that works as he fills a hole for the team, but once again, I was just wondering how he is viewed over the FB's coming out in the draft ??

I don't think Tahi is anything special, but that's fine by me because I think the Bengals, like most of the rest of the teams in the NFL, have now so devalued the FB position all they're looking for is a blocker.

As for what Tahi offers that a rookie couldn't? Well, he did get ssome valuable playing experience with the Vikings. But more importantly, he would come with some knowledge of the Bengals playbook and blocking schemes.

Might as well said it's all guaranteed money, so why only one year?

I would've much rather seen us sign Roy Williams and draft a guy like Quinn Johnson in the 5th or Brannan Southerland in the 6th. I know it's a good value with his experience in one of the best running games in football, but where are we this time next year?

Either he's not really sold on Cincinnati or the Bengals aren't totallly sold on him. Outside of that, a longer offer would have been much more difficult for Minnesota to match, as it was for Indy with Utecht last offseason.

being that I doubt Tahi's contract is fully guaranteed it gives us flexibility quinn johnson is sitting there in round 5 or another fullback you could take him let him compete against tahi and may the best man win.

I would've much rather seen us sign Roy Williams and draft a guy like Quinn Johnson in the 5th or Brannan Southerland in the 6th. I know it's a good value with his experience in one of the best running games in football, but where are we this time next year?

Problem with this is what happens if Quinn is taken before we draft in the 5th? and Southerland is in 6th? I'm glad their trying address it now I just hope they don't ignore guy in draft because of it.

he has justified that he should be paid more than an unproven draftee is he has proven that he can play at the NFL level. FB is our biggest hole outside of the O-Line, and to me, it is part of the O-Line.

How has he proven he can play at an NFL level? He played because their starting FB got hurt. Even then Minnesota used a lot of singleback formations or Kleinsasser as an H-back. My view is that Tahi isn't any better than guys we could get in the 5th round and has less upside. If the team were convinced Tahi is the answer, why not sign him multiyear?

How has he proven he can play at an NFL level? He played because their starting FB got hurt. Even then Minnesota used a lot of singleback formations or Kleinsasser as an H-back. My view is that Tahi isn't any better than guys we could get in the 5th round and has less upside. If the team were convinced Tahi is the answer, why not sign him multiyear?

Very well said and my points, exactly. I don't get giving a FB 1.4 million guaranteed for one season, especially a one-dimensional FB. I'd think Kuhn is a better option and if not, make a better offer to Roy or George Foster.

On the other hand, I can understand how the Bengals won't want to choose between having a rookie FB starting on opening-day or Coats. What's the word on the J.D. Runnels kid, who's already on the roster and was pretty good in college?

I also wonder if the Bengals are up on the status (other than being unemployed, like many Americans) of Jeremi Johnson. If he's in shape, he might be worth a look on a minimal, one-year deal.

Very well said and my points, exactly. I don't get giving a FB 1.4 million guaranteed for one season, especially a one-dimensional FB. I'd think Kuhn is a better option and if not, make a better offer to Roy or George Foster.
I don't get why you think signing Tahi has anything to do with signing Roy Williams. You've brought it up several times, and I just don't get it. The Bengals are not tight under the cap, so if they thought they needed both, they could have both. I can't make sense in my brain how you think the two are connected.

The other thing I don't really understand is why people complain about how much he's getting paid. Let's assume it is a bad deal and he's getting terribly overpaid. It's still just Mike Brown's money, right? Money that everyone complained about going unspent last year. I get it if you think the money could be spent better elsewhere... but not only is that debatable, it's a nonissue. The money isn't being spent elsewhere.

This signing has nothing to do with whether the Bengals sign anyone else or not. Either you don't like this signing because you think the Bengals should have drafted someone for that position, or they should have signed someone else for that position. The other complaints don't make much sense to me.

I don't get why you think signing Tahi has anything to do with signing Roy Williams. You've brought it up several times, and I just don't get it. The Bengals are not tight under the cap, so if they thought they needed both, they could have both. I can't make sense in my brain how you think the two are connected.

The other thing I don't really understand is why people complain about how much he's getting paid. Let's assume it is a bad deal and he's getting terribly overpaid. It's still just Mike Brown's money, right? Money that everyone complained about going unspent last year. I get it if you think the money could be spent better elsewhere... but not only is that debatable, it's a nonissue. The money isn't being spent elsewhere.

This signing has nothing to do with whether the Bengals sign anyone else or not. Either you don't like this signing because you think the Bengals should have drafted someone for that position, or they should have signed someone else for that position. The other complaints don't make much sense to me.

Marvin already admitted that the team is tight against the cap right now, in a press conference about two weeks ago.

That's how they're connected.

Keep in mind that the Bengals still have to pay the #6 pick and 10 additional picks in the draft, Keith Rivers play time incentive (3 million), 8-9 million guaranteed to Coles, 1.5 million or so to O' Sullivan, 3 million to restricted FAs (Johnson and Jeanty) and 2.5 million to Graham.

That's about 18-19 million of the reported 27 million (the highest estimate) or so available under the cap prior to free agency and not even including the draft picks (which will be at least 5-7 million) and an injury buffer for players that will be signed once the season begins. The bottom line is that we are far from having excess room in the salary cap and a Tahi signing at 1.4 million will most definitely impact the contract offer that the Bengals can make to a player like Roy Williams.

I'm not trying to HobSpin you, but those are just the raw numbers that are all well documented.

SIDE NOTE: I didn't even calculate the numbers for Crocker and Benson in those figures, which is likely another 4-6 million next season, minus any incentives.

I'm still of the thought that the Vikings match the offer...

They'll wait until the last possible minute, but they will match the offer.

Kind of how I saw it as well. No need to jump right back to match when they really didn't want him to start with. I see them matching for no other reason than they don't view his backup as capable as him and they missed on the guy they really wanted. I expect a match today.

That being said, is there anyone else in FA they could target at the position or are we now relegated to the draft ?? If it's the draft, who's your #1 guy you would like to see the Bengals go after ??

I like the kid out of Texas A&M, Javorski Lane. He had a 4th round projection had he come out last draft and then his numbers declined this past season with a coaching change. I think he's the BIG blocking type of guy they would love to have and has the ability to run the ball as well. His numbers prior to the caoching change were very good.

There are others out there as well and would be happy with a few of them...