2005 "Six Days to Sunday" documentary

SWATFan

O.k. - I know this is a totally random question, but somehow I'm compelled to ask this. Anyone remember the 2005 "Six Days to Sunday" feature NFL Films produced that focused on the Bengals' and the Browns' week leading up to one of their games? There was this one scene that showed a Bengals' (at least I think he was on the Bengals, IIRC) defensive lineman at his home taking a "take home" quiz on defensive schemes while sort-of joking about it. His wife and son were shown in this scene - I think I remember him later kissing his wife as he was leaving the house. This simple, low-key scene made an impression on me - because this player seemed like a nice guy with a nice family. I had no idea who this guy was at the time; he wasn't a "name" guy - just an average player, I guess.

Who was this guy? What was his name?

I remember an episode in 2004 that showed the week leading to the Bengals-Browns game in Cleveland. It was the same game where Garcia threw the 99 yard TD pass. I also remember them showing Marvin Lewis at home with his family, and the Browns coaches looking at special teams footage of Reggie Myles. I believe they also showed Palmer driving around in a golf cart before a practice. I don't remember a 2005 episode.

well in 2005, leaving out the name guys, it could have been

Lynn McGruder DT

Carl Powell DE

Duane Clemons?

Six Days to Sunday had a long run, apparently:

http://www.tv.com/lost-treasures-of-nfl-fi...34/summary.html

So hopefully someone here remembers the episode.

Haha Carl Powell, those names bring back painful memories.

I remember an episode in 2004 that showed the week leading to the Bengals-Browns game in Cleveland. It was the same game where Garcia threw the 99 yard TD pass. I also remember them showing Marvin Lewis at home with his family, and the Browns coaches looking at special teams footage of Reggie Myles. I believe they also showed Palmer driving around in a golf cart before a practice. I don't remember a 2005 episode.

I could be off a year - but somehow, I'm strongly leaning toward the episode airing in 2005 - because that when I believe the NFL Network aired an entire season of these shows (I remember a show focusing on Keenan McCardell when he was with San Diego, and Muhsin Muhammed when he was with the Chicago Bears - let's see, there was also an episode featuring Keith Brooking of the Atlanta Falcons, and I believe Booger McFarland of the Buccaneers). Could it have even been 2006? (I swear - the years are just flying by these days). 2004 just seems too early for these shows.

Strangely, I don't remember much else about the episode - except that I believe this was the time when Chad Johnson Fed-Ex'd the Browns' DBs bottles of Pepto Bismol - there was a scene focusing on that. It could have been when Garcia threw the 99-yarder to Andre (or Andra?) Davis - I'm not sure if this was part of this program, or a part of another NFL Films feature. Also, was this when Marvin Lewis was shown sitting in his home (with family - though his family wasn't actually shown on camera that much) watching an NFL game during a bye-week? Not 100% sure...

well in 2005, leaving out the name guys, it could have been

Lynn McGruder DT

Carl Powell DE

Duane Clemons?

Six Days to Sunday had a long run, apparently:

http://www.tv.com/lost-treasures-of-nfl-fi...34/summary.html

So hopefully someone here remembers the episode.

Well - I just realized that who is a "name" guy to a hard-core Bengals follower may be different than who is a "name" guy to someone like myself who doesn't closely follow the Bengals - so, who knows, it could have been a "name" guy. I'll try to look up each of those guys' pictures to see if any of those guys matches my memory of what the guy looked like.

Just a couple of more details: he was a fairly dark-skinned black guy (not as dark-skinned as a Terrell Owens, but he wasn't too far from that), and was married to a brunette-haired white woman. Their son was a young child - around 4 or 5. I know it's hard to tell how things really are from a 40-second scene - but they seemed like two nice, unpretentious people who had a nice marriage.

Oh - and, while "Six Days to Sunday" might have been a long-time NFL Films project - I don't think they made shows continuously from 1976 through 2005 (or whenever they last made one of these shows). I think they just produced these documentaries every now and then - not every year. Then in 2005 (if I got the year right), NFL Films decided to produce a whole season of these shows for the NFL Network. But it only lasted one or two seasons - I don't think I've seen a new "Six Days To Sunday" since 2005 or 2006.

I just googled.

Three words.

Reggie...Myles...football

14,700 hits.

Most of them seemed to be related to being injured and not expected to play the following week. Others dealt with his vagabond wanderings and endless tryouts. But for whatever it might be worth I think this one from KFFL was the most significant. A blast from the past....and straight to the groin.

Enjoy.

Bengals | Locker room scuffle breaks out

Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:45:51 -0800

Mark Curnutte, of the Cincinnati Enquirer, reports a locker room fight occurred at Paul Brown Stadium Thursday, Nov. 17, while the media was present. DL Carl Powell picked up CB Reggie Myles and threw him down. The incident occurred in the equipment room, adjacent to the locker room, and touched off a 20-minute shouting match that spilled into the locker room and involved several other Bengals players. The confrontation was believed to be the result of horse-play gone too far. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said through the team's media relations department that he had no comment on the incident and that it would be handled internally. Rookie LB Odell Thurman got into a shouting match with some of the veteran players who had led Myles out of the equipment room.

Gooood times.....happy times...

Yup.

November 17th, 2005.

The push for the first playoff berth in more than a decade.

Respectability at last.

Contenders finally.

And yet.....the lockerrrom was already fracturing.

We all downplayed it.

I know I did.

After all, it was just Reggie Myles being bounced off the floor.

And Odell was just being passionate, young, and stupid.

No big deal.

Bring on the playoffs.

And then came Kimo.

And just when you thought things couldn't get worse, they did just that.

Halftime.

(((sigh)))

<_<

Gooood times.....happy times...

Yup.

November 17th, 2005.

The push for the first playoff berth in more than a decade.

Respectability at last.

Contenders finally.

And yet.....the lockerrrom was already fracturing.

We all downplayed it.

I know I did.

After all, it was just Reggie Myles being bounced off the floor.

And Odell was just being passionate, young, and stupid.

No big deal.

Bring on the playoffs.

And then came Kimo.

And just when you thought things couldn't get worse, they did just that.

Halftime.

(((sigh)))

<_<

Mike and Marvin's Deal with the Devil gone bad, my friend.

I could be off a year - but somehow, I'm strongly leaning toward the episode airing in 2005 - because that when I believe the NFL Network aired an entire season of these shows (I remember a show focusing on Keenan McCardell when he was with San Diego, and Muhsin Muhammed when he was with the Chicago Bears - let's see, there was also an episode featuring Keith Brooking of the Atlanta Falcons, and I believe Booger McFarland of the Buccaneers). Could it have even been 2006? (I swear - the years are just flying by these days). 2004 just seems too early for these shows.

Strangely, I don't remember much else about the episode - except that I believe this was the time when Chad Johnson Fed-Ex'd the Browns' DBs bottles of Pepto Bismol - there was a scene focusing on that. It could have been when Garcia threw the 99-yarder to Andre (or Andra?) Davis - I'm not sure if this was part of this program, or a part of another NFL Films feature. Also, was this when Marvin Lewis was shown sitting in his home (with family - though his family wasn't actually shown on camera that much) watching an NFL game during a bye-week? Not 100% sure...

Yeah that was right before the 2004 game at Cleveland where Chad sent the Pepto Bismol the the Cleveland secondary.

Yeah that was right before the 2004 game at Cleveland where Chad sent the Pepto Bismol the the Cleveland secondary.

Wasn't Chris Crocker one of the recipients. I wonder is he gives Chad the business about that these days.

O.k. - yeah, my memory is quite foggy. Because now, I think I'm remembering the Bengals/Browns' "Six Days To Sunday" being an hour-long episode that wasn't a part of the full season of 30-minute episodes the NFL Network aired in either 2005 or 2006.

Of the three guys that Bearcat listed as possible "matches" to the guy I've been trying to identify - Lynn McGruder looks like the closest match. But another guy I thought it could have been is John Thornton - I think he may be an even closer match than McGruder. Actually, I had Thornton in mind as being the (possible) guy when I first posted - I was just waiting for someone to confirm. The fact that noone mentioned his name has given me some doubts - but I still think it could be him.

Wasn't Chris Crocker one of the recipients. I wonder is he gives Chad the business about that these days.

Chris Crocker was one of the guys they showed opening up his package of Pepto Bismol. Unfortunately for Chad, he had more drops than catches that game.