Your 2010 Comp Pick Scorecard

TJJackson

Note1: Signing free agents who were on your own team at the end of the previous season does not impact comp picks (ala Cedric Benson and Chris Crocker)

Note2: Max of 4 comp picks can be awarded to any one team

Note3: The value of the comp pick is determined primarily by the per-season average of the contract signed

Note4: Restricted free agents are not counted towards comp picks

so

Gain 4th round pick for loss of OT Stacey Andrews

Gain 7th round pick for loss of QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

Gain 3rd round pick for loss of WR TJ Housmanzadeh

Lose 4th round pick for signing WR Laveranues Coles (Andrews and Coles cancel out)

bottom line guess

3rd, 7th

The 4th rounder for Stacy is no sure thing. I don't know the structure of his contract but it probably has a big option bonus at some point, most likely after the 2009 season. The comp picks are awarded before the 2010 draft and only cover salary, playing time and honors from the 2009 season. In other words, Stacy's contract might be a lot smaller than it's been reported, at least for 2009.

The 4th rounder for Stacy is no sure thing. I don't know the structure of his contract but it probably has a big option bonus at some point, most likely after the 2009 season. The comp picks are awarded before the 2010 draft and only cover salary, playing time and honors from the 2009 season. In other words, Stacy's contract might be a lot smaller than it's been reported, at least for 2009.

it's based off total contract value if i'm not mistaken.

Well, I don't award the picks, and this is only my guess.

Based on the information I have reviewed, the pick is awarded based on the per year average dollars on the contract, not just the dollars for the year that just completed

Make your own guess.....no problem

I think it's a pretty good guess. Guess we'll have to figure O'Sullivan into the equation, as well.

it's based off total contract value if i'm not mistaken.

I think it's off first year value. Otherwise teams losing free agents would be encouraging their departing guys to add phony years at the end of their new deal to inflate the pick received. If TJ had a 6th year in his contract with Seattle that called for a salary of $70 mil, that wouldn't move the Bengals comp pick ahead of Tennessee's pick for losing Haynesworth.

I get what you are saying, but the departing free agent has zero incentive to help his old team acquire more and better comp picks, and the new team is de-incentivized to put bullcrap salaries in a contract - ie, they don't want more and/or better picks going to any team - they have to play that other team at some point.

so again, I disagree

and again, feel free to come up with your own list based on what YOU feel the comp pick awards will be. Have at it.

How about Comp picks for this year's draft? I know Madeiu and Odom cancelled each other out, essentially. Do you think we'll get a 3rd or 4th for Justin?

Can't immediately recall anyone of significance that left last year or who would impact the awarded Comp picks, other than Landon Johnson, who had about 10 tackles all year for the Panthers.

adjusted for signing of JT O'Sullivan

Note1: Signing free agents who were on your own team at the end of the previous season does not impact comp picks (ala Cedric Benson and Chris Crocker)

Note2: Max of 4 comp picks can be awarded to any one team

Note3: The value of the comp pick is determined primarily by the per-season average of the contract signed

Note4: Restricted free agents are not counted towards comp picks

so

Gain 4th round pick for loss of OT Stacey Andrews

Gain 7th round pick for loss of QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (2m avg)

Gain 3rd round pick for loss of WR TJ Housmanzadeh

Lose 4th round pick for signing WR Laveranues Coles (Andrews and Coles cancel out)

Lose 7th round pick for signing QB JT O'Sullivan (2m avg)

bottom line guess

1-3rd round pick