Free Agency Reset

membengal

Looking through what is still out there, what are people's thoughts on Khalif Barnes? He would perhaps be an Andrews replacement that is arguably as good as Andrews, and may not cost as much. Not sure what else is left at C that we might want other than Matt Birk. None of the LBers really jump out at me. But getting a Tackle would free up the draft some more now that Benson is in the fold.

I disagree with the general premise that the Bengals are tightwads. They have spent plenty, when the spirit has moved them. Hell, they just tried to shovel $13 million guaranteed at a 32-year-old receiver.

I am more interested in a discussion about the merits of Barnes or another tackle as a replacement to Andrews as a way to free up the draft. Or a discussion about who else is out there at a need area that can help this team.

I don't happen to agree, by the way, that WR is a need area to address in free agency...

Looking through what is still out there, what are people's thoughts on Khalif Barnes? He would perhaps be an Andrews replacement that is arguably as good as Andrews, and may not cost as much. Not sure what else is left at C that we might want other than Matt Birk. None of the LBers really jump out at me. But getting a Tackle would free up the draft some more now that Benson is in the fold.

Please tell me you are joking! Are you not aware just how much Khalif Barnes sucks? The Jags are looking to replace him because he has been so horrible. And you are insane if you think he is anywhere close to as good as Andrews.

This cracks me up. People complain about Andrews not beng very good, but then they want us to sign someone who is a million times worse.

Dude, there is a reason why Andrews got got swiped up immediately when free agency opened and why Barnes has gotten no interest from anyone. Can we just stop the ignorance?

No, I was not joking about Barnes. I was generally asking people's impressions. Did I say up there anywhere where I said go get him no matter what? Dude, work on your f**king reading comprehehsion. If not Barnes, is there someone else at T whom they should consider?

Why don't you stop being f**king ignorant. How about that?

When did this stop being a board where people could have a discussion? f**ker.

No, I was not joking about Barnes. I was generally asking people's impressions. Did I say up there anywhere where I said go get him? Dude, work on your f**king reading comprehehsion. If not Barnes, is there someone else at T whom they should consider?

Why don't you stop being f**king ignorant. How about that?

When did this stop being a board where people could have a discussion? f**ker.

I am suprised that Barnes hasn't gotten more intrest on the market. He has like 50 something starts. I never really watched him play but I know he is solid, and young.

Wow, here's an si.com article that has Barnes as the 8th best free agent overall (and top T):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ents/index.html

So, hey, go f**k yourself, JoeP.

Here's one on sportsline.com that has him as the fourth best available T behind Andrews and Stinchcomb and Marvel Smith. So, yeah, not bad company.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/...nts/position/OT

Prisco: When he's focused, he can be a good player. He's started the past four seasons.

It would be nice to get a decent tackle in Fa to open up the draft, but looking like it's not going to happen. I think it's more than time to trade Chad and get some more picks in either this draft or the next. I think the Vikings or Raiders would want to talk about Chad and I can see Chad fitting very well with the Raiders. The Redskins have sunk a ton of money in Fa, so they are most likely out of the picture.

I think it's time to think the draft is going to be where we begin to rebuild now.

I think the Bengals are content on a combination on a healthy Levi Jones/Andrew Whitworth at one tackle position and Anthony Collins at the other. The only move I'd like to see them make is trade a mid-round draft pick for Brian Waters. Waters is a 32 year old probowl caliber center that has been demanding a trade or release from the Chiefs.

I think the Bengals are content on a combination on a healthy Levi Jones/Andrew Whitworth at one tackle position and Anthony Collins at the other. The only move I'd like to see them make is trade a mid-round draft pick for Brian Waters. Waters is a 32 year old probowl caliber center that has been demanding a trade or release from the Chiefs.

I do like this idea, as they keep saying they have a few prospects already that need grooming....

As for trading Chad, it is not going to happen!!

What would you offer what Waters? I wouldn't want to part with anything more than a 4th rounder and maybe a conditional pick because of his age and injuries.

What about Samson Satele from the Dolphins, since they've signed Grove. He was their 2nd rounder in '07 and started every game last season for the Fins.

I think that one of the Bills C's between Fowler and Preston could be on the way in for a visit. Both have been starters in the past.

Oh he is worth it, but we won't pay it. Because we are tight wads.

Now if we sign Coles tonight to a big deal, that might change.

So the Bengals paid way too much to sign Benson, but they're tight wads at the same time?

Yep.

okay :wacko:

I was being sarcastic about the money Benson got. It was a good deal. I was just acting like some people on this board when there is a number and then million following it.

Oh he is worth it, but we won't pay it. Because we are tight wads.

Now if we sign Coles tonight to a big deal, that might change.

So the Bengals paid way too much to sign Benson, but they're tight wads at the same time?

Yep.

okay :wacko:

I was being sarcastic about the money Benson got. It was a good deal. I was just acting like some people on this board when there is a number and then million following it.

You got me -- I fell into the sar-chasm. Well done, sir.

Wow, here's an si.com article that has Barnes as the 8th best free agent overall (and top T):

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...ents/index.html

So, hey, go f**k yourself, JoeP.

Here's one on sportsline.com that has him as the fourth best available T behind Andrews and Stinchcomb and Marvel Smith. So, yeah, not bad company.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/transactions/...nts/position/OT

Prisco: When he's focused, he can be a good player. He's started the past four seasons.

I think the fact that they haven't brought in a tackle means one of two things:

A- They think Levi's knee is OK and they are sticking with what they got

B- They will sign an OT in round 1-3