Benson resigned for 2 years

Bearcat1975

A poster on GoBengals claims to have an inside source...(ahem)...said the 2-year contract was Benson's idea. The Bengals were said to have offered 12 million over 3 years, but Benson preferred a shorter deal and a chance to hit FA again as a more proven 28-year old.

As always, take it for whatever it might be worth.

I actually think this can work two fold...if Benson has a good year next year, it gives the Bengals a full year to sign Benson to a longer deal OR the ability to trade him to another team for some compensation.

If the rumor is true then I give Benson lots of props for the confidence he's shown in regards to turning his career around. In short, he left years and money on the table for the opportunity to cash in again in a much bigger way two years from now. That said, if I'm the Bengals I wouldn't have many plans to sign Benson when and if that day ever comes. Rather, I'm counting on Benson for two years of Rudi Johnson style bell cow work and no more.

Word. 2 years is a long time for a NFL RB. Especially the bell cow type. The Bengals don't have to be careful with their playcalling trying to keep their investment safe for the next 5 years. Benson can be a bell cow this year and next, and then when the defense has been more developed (hopefully) they can address the RB issue in the draft in 2011.

I'd rather draft a developmental guy this year...run Benson like crazy building up his value, then trade him with one year left on his contract and get something in return for their investment. It is getting old watching the Bengals put time and effort into building up project players or rebuilding guys careers, to only watch them leave with no compensation. They need to take a page from the Patriots book on how to get returns for their services.

Dude, what do you think we will get for this guy? Even if he has a huge year, he still won't net us anything more than a fourth round pick. I would rather hang on to him for the life of his contract, select a second rounder next season and develop him for one year before he takes over as the starter in 2011.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To those who are talking about running him to death then letting him go in 2 years...It's not like he ran alot the first 4 years of his career he could have plenty of steam left.

This is true, but he was a bell cow in college and he had over 500 carries. I say we select Javon Ringer in round 3 if he is their.

A poster on GoBengals claims to have an inside source...(ahem)...said the 2-year contract was Benson's idea. The Bengals were said to have offered 12 million over 3 years, but Benson preferred a shorter deal and a chance to hit FA again as a more proven 28-year old.

I actually think this can work two fold...if Benson has a good year next year, it gives the Bengals a full year to sign Benson to a longer deal OR the ability to trade him to another team for some compensation.

If the rumor is true then I give Benson lots of props for the confidence he's shown in regards to turning his career around. In short, he left years and money on the table for the opportunity to cash in again in a much bigger way two years from now. That said, if I'm the Bengals I wouldn't have many plans to sign Benson when and if that day ever comes. Rather, I'm counting on Benson for two years of Rudi Johnson style bell cow work and no more.

Word. 2 years is a long time for a NFL RB. Especially the bell cow type. The Bengals don't have to be careful with their playcalling trying to keep their investment safe for the next 5 years. Benson can be a bell cow this year and next, and then when the defense has been more developed (hopefully) they can address the RB issue in the draft in 2011.

I'd rather draft a developmental guy this year...run Benson like crazy building up his value, then trade him with one year left on his contract and get something in return for their investment. It is getting old watching the Bengals put time and effort into building up project players or rebuilding guys careers, to only watch them leave with no compensation. They need to take a page from the Patriots book on how to get returns for their services.

Dude, what do you think we will get for this guy? Even if he has a huge year, he still won't net us anything more than a fourth round pick. I would rather hang on to him for the life of his contract, select a second rounder next season and develop him for one year before he takes over as the starter in 2011.

So you would rather see the Bengals resurrect some guys career only to watch him walk away as a free agent and get nothing in return? Haven't we as Bengal's fans seen enough of that already? The Patriots are perennial winners for a reason...and this because they can take a 7th round QB that had only one good year and turn him into a second round pick.

So you would rather see the Bengals resurrect some guys career only to watch him walk away as a free agent and get nothing in return? Haven't we as Bengal's fans seen enough of that already? The Patriots are perennial winners for a reason...and this because they can take a 7th round QB that had only one good year and turn him into a second round pick.

Running backs don't have as much value as QB's. Especially running backs that are considered busts and have had multiple run ins with the law. You sound like Al Davis, I would trade you Benson for a second round pick next offseason and you would consider that a bargain.

Running backs don't have as much value as QB's. Especially running backs that are considered busts and have had multiple run ins with the law. You sound like Al Davis, I would trade you Benson for a second round pick next offseason and you would consider that a bargain.

Well first off Benson was cleared of all his charges in both the boating case and the DUI case. Secondly I don't know if you have been paying much attention to free agency this year or not...but the market for RBs that don't have a proven track record has sky rocketed. So if Benson goes out and has a 1200+ yard year and keeps his nose clean, he will be one of top RBs that will be going into the last year of their contract. Once again let me repeat...Benson was cleared of all his charges. In fact i I remember correctly several eyewitnesses stated that during the boating incident Benson did nothing wrong and was harassed by the cops.

I'd say the Cheifs got the best of that deal, no question. Sure... they turned a 7th round pick into a 2nd round pick - but they also gave up Vrabel, had to use their franchise tag on Cassell, and although they have Brady coming back, they still only got a 2nd round pick for a player many believe to be a top 10 QB in this league. This wasn't exactly like giving up a 4th round pick for Randy Moss.

I'd say the Cheifs got the best of that deal, no question. Sure... they turned a 7th round pick into a 2nd round pick - but they also gave up Vrabel, had to use their franchise tag on Cassell, and although they have Brady coming back, they still only got a 2nd round pick for a player many believe to be a top 10 QB in this league. This wasn't exactly like giving up a 4th round pick for Randy Moss.

How can you call him a top 10 QB in the league when the guy only started one year? That's like saying Matt Ryan is a top 10 QB after just this year. It cracks me up every time I hear someone say something like that. Go out and do it 2, 3 or more years then I'll drink the koolaid. Anyone remember how good Rick Meier did his first year in Seattle? Now the guy (Bless his Notre Dame heart :lol: ) is probably coaching high school football somewhere. It happens all the time. BTW New England only franchised him because they knew they could trade him for something...something the Bengals could have probably done with TJ. Now they have to hope to get a comp pick for flat losing him as a free agent. Th Bengals could have easily signed Opie to a contract without franchising him, and then tagged and traded TJ. This isn't rocket science...it's a matter of penny pinching in that the less draft picks the Bengals have the less money Mike own has to pay out.

Well first off Benson was cleared of all his charges in both the boating case and the DUI case. Secondly I don't know if you have been paying much attention to free agency this year or not...but the market for RBs that don't have a proven track record has sky rocketed. So if Benson goes out and has a 1200+ yard year and keeps his nose clean, he will be one of top RBs that will be going into the last year of their contract. Once again let me repeat...Benson was cleared of all his charges. In fact i I remember correctly several eyewitnesses stated that during the boating incident Benson did nothing wrong and was harassed by the cops.

Wasn't Pacman cleared of all his charges? We should go and sign him and then trade him for a second round pick next year to.....Hell let's take a fliar on Mike Vick to, the guy has served his time, he could come in and play well in the preseason and we can trade him for a second round pick!

How can you call him a top 10 QB in the league when the guy only started one year? That's like saying Matt Ryan is a top 10 QB after just this year. It cracks me up every time I hear someone say something like that. Go out and do it 2, 3 or more years then I'll drink the koolaid. Anyone remember how good Rick Meier did his first year in Seattle? Now the guy (Bless his Notre Dame heart :lol: ) is probably coaching high school football somewhere. It happens all the time. BTW New England only franchised him because they knew they could trade him for something...something the Bengals could have probably done with TJ. Now they have to hope to get a comp pick for flat losing him as a free agent. Th Bengals could have easily signed Opie to a contract without franchising him, and then tagged and traded TJ. This isn't rocket science...it's a matter of penny pinching in that the less draft picks the Bengals have the less money Mike own has to pay out.

I think the coach and the offense made Matt Cassel. He reminds me a little bit of a poor man's Kurt Warner. Warner was garbage once he lost Faulk in St Louis and then he was garbage in New York. He plays very well when he is surrounded by hall of fame WR prospects.

Wasn't Pacman cleared of all his charges? We should go and sign him and then trade him for a second round pick next year to.....Hell let's take a fliar on Mike Vick to, the guy has served his time, he could come in and play well in the preseason and we can trade him for a second round pick!

Well unfortunately you have crossed the line of debating a topic into just saying ignorant things. PacMan still has cases pending including an Atlanta Strip Club shooting where he is accused of putting out the hit on someone. As far as Vick is concerned, I don't agree with his life choices, but he is paying his debt to society and people need to move on. If you went out tonight, and had let's say had 3 beers and then accidentally hit and killed someone with your car. You would be charged with vehicular manslaughter and would probably spend some time in jail. Do you think it would be fair that once you got out, no one would give you a job the rest of your life for that event in your life that you were convicted of and paid your punishment for? I wouldn't take a flier on Vick simply because of him being away from football and the training that goes along with being a professional QB for so long. There are other options out there that would be a better fit right now.

Two things...

1) The Bengals were not going to get the same trade compensation for Housh that the Pats got for Cassell and Vrabel. For someone who believes the Pats are so wise, I imagine you believe they tested the market and took the best available deal. Housh tested the FA market and had trouble getting teams to offer him a deal, even going far enough to beg. Why do you think a team would have given him the kind of coin he required AND give up draft picks? They wouldn't.

2) I'm not saying myself that Cassell is a top 10 QB. I'm going based on what Chris Mortenson said many NFL scouts were telling him on "NFL Live" the day the trade went down. And frankly, if I were the Cheifs, I'd be way more excited about getting Cassell who has successful NFL experience over a guy like Stafford or Sanchez who have none. Add to that the fact that you only give up a 2nd round pick and add a leader on defense, rather than having to use up your 1st? That's a hell of a bargain.

Two things...

1) The Bengals were not going to get the same trade compensation for Housh that the Pats got for Cassell and Vrabel. For someone who believes the Pats are so wise, I imagine you believe they tested the market and took the best available deal. Housh tested the FA market and had trouble getting teams to offer him a deal, even going far enough to beg. Why do you think a team would have given him the kind of coin he required AND give up draft picks? They wouldn't.

2) I'm not saying myself that Cassell is a top 10 QB. I'm going based on what Chris Mortenson said many NFL scouts were telling him on "NFL Live" the day the trade went down. And frankly, if I were the Cheifs, I'd be way more excited about getting Cassell who has successful NFL experience over a guy like Stafford or Sanchez who have none. Add to that the fact that you only give up a 2nd round pick and add a leader on defense, rather than having to use up your 1st? That's a hell of a bargain.

Bargain? I can't believe they got that deal from the Pats. If I was the Pats I would have taken the alternative deal and taken the Bucs first round pick. This was a gift from the Pats and I am sure they will want a return favor in the future!

So you would rather see the Bengals resurrect some guys career only to watch him walk away as a free agent and get nothing in return? Haven't we as Bengal's fans seen enough of that already?

How do you figure they're getting nothing in return? If Benson plays out his contract he'll have three years in stripes under his belt.

So you would rather see the Bengals resurrect some guys career only to watch him walk away as a free agent and get nothing in return? Haven't we as Bengal's fans seen enough of that already?

How do you figure they're getting nothing in return? If Benson plays out his contract he'll have three years in stripes under his belt.

Exactly.

Good teams lose good players every year. That's the reason the NFL decided to give teams losing key players compensatory picks. T.J. played 8 seasons here; We had him during his best days as an NFL WR.

It's time to move on.

Let's at least TRY to get excited about the prospect of Carson Palmer coming back to play with a potential stud RB and a WR who's just as effective as T.J. Hell, what part of "I knew I wasn't going back to Cincinnati" do people not understand? He wanted out! We got a guy in Coles that actually WANTED to be here for less than it would've taken to keep T.J. The bonus is that Coles is a proven leader, a team player and a guy our young WR's can look up to. It's nice to get an offensive FA, coming from a winning organization, to inject some life into the offense.

If you want to get pumped up for next season today, go and watch the press conference interview with Ced on the official site. I know it did it for me.

I'll leave the names out of it, but some of you guys have flat out lost your minds over the comp pick angle. Point blank, it's not a core FA strategy, and it never will be. Rather, it's a way to soften the blow that comes when important players leave for greener pastures. And yeah, it helps explain why teams don't fall all over themselves attempting to trade players who are entering the last year of their contracts. But adequately replacing lost players with comparable veterans is almost always a better play than cashing in a comp pick.

I'll leave the names out of it, but some of you guys have flat out lost your minds over the comp pick angle. Point blank, it's not a core FA strategy, and it never will be. Rather, it's a way to soften the blow that comes when important players leave for greener pastures. And yeah, it helps explain why teams don't fall all over themselves attempting to trade players who are entering the last year of their contracts. But adequately replacing lost players with comparable veterans is almost always a better play than cashing in a comp pick.

Also take into account that a third round pick is the highest comp pick a team can receive and that no matter how many players a team loses in free agency they can only get a maximum of three comp picks. Hair is right in so far as to not think Comp picks are a tool in free agency, yet a safety net instead. Who in their right mind would turn down a guaranteed first or second round pick for a player in a trade and instead hope to rewarded a third round comp pick by the league. Besides we all know how much the league office hates the Bengals they are not going to go out of their way to do the Brown family in favors...

i've been wondering about this since i started posting here. i thought all of you were comp pick crazy. i know they're nice to get, but like you said hair it's not a strategy. at all.