New LB's for the taking?

Clackwoods

Which FA linebacker would you rather have?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to come to Cincy?

• Bart Scott
    • Derrick Brooks
    • Cato June
    • Channing Crowder
    • A 1st round LB
    • A 2nd round LB
    • A 3rd round LB
    • A second day pick

I know that he is not on the list and probably gone @ #6, but ACurry is my pick he is the only pick I would make @ 6 if it's LB,DBrooks better days are behind him, CJune no thank you undersized & he is no RLewis, BScott was injury prone, don't know if he has gotten over that...So maybe rd3 or later...

Brooks 2008 stats:

G GS Total Solo Ast Sck

2008 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16 16 73 58 15 0.0

Thats not good at all. Don't even think of him as an option for us to pick up. OUR OLB's produce better then him.

I would want to bring him in for Leadership alone. He is the ultimate locker room guy and a proven winner. He would greatly improve Keith Rivers as a football player!

I guess the reason I'm so high on taking a guy like Rey is that he can be the heart of the defense. Beyond making plays, he can bring an extra level of attitude and toughness to a group that is starting to look a little tougher. In my eyes he can be what Takeo Spikes was to this defense. I understand that the team has holes on the OL and I think they can be filled either via free agency or in rounds 2-7 of the draft. I don't think they will go with RB or WR with their 1st round pick and I think at 6 they need to get a player who is the best at his position coming out of college. I think there is more value in taking the best (IMO) MLB rather than taking the 3rd best OT.

Michael Boley? Kind of an odd man out in Atlanta now, but he started for Zimmer and he played well. Still young...4 years experience. Might come cheap if teams judge him mostly by last season. Not sure how interested Marvin is in 225 OLB's these days, but Boley is pretty solid in pass coverage.

I always liked Boley as well. He always plays with a high degree of intensity, but yeah have to wonder about the "light in the ass" issue. 225 just doesn't seem to cut it. Wonder if anyone has tried him at the safety position...

Michael Boley? Kind of an odd man out in Atlanta now, but he started for Zimmer and he played well. Still young...4 years experience. Might come cheap if teams judge him mostly by last season. Not sure how interested Marvin is in 225 OLB's these days, but Boley is pretty solid in pass coverage.

I always liked Boley as well. He always plays with a high degree of intensity, but yeah have to wonder about the "light in the ass" issue. 225 just doesn't seem to cut it. Wonder if anyone has tried him at the safety position...

To be honest I guessed his weight. Pretty sure he was only 220 or so when drafted and he doesn't look much different now. But again, he's got a history with Zimmer and he fits the 2nd and 3rd tier cheaper FA profile we've all grown familiar with.

To be honest I guessed his weight. Pretty sure he was only 220 or so when drafted and he doesn't look much different now. But again, he's got a history with Zimmer and he fits the 2nd and 3rd tier cheaper FA profile we've all grown familiar with.

Having watched a lot of Atlanta Falcons football, Michael Boley is a pretty good player, sort of a Landon Johnson-type. He's still in the 220 pound range and the Falcons were considering moving him to Safety, at one point. The only knock on him is that he's not a true pash-rusher, with only 6 career stats. I think Brandon Johnson already occupies his potential role on this team as a Nickel LB.

I think he's be awesome on one of the Cover 2 teams, although it seems like everyone runs the 3-4 defense now.

On a side note, ESPN is reporting that the Ravens are closing in on a deal with Bart Scott, so it looks like Ray is going to be a Dallas Cowboy. How about Rey Maualuga potentially going to Baltimore at 26?

If he does, that changes everything. I wonder if the differences in Bart's contract and Ray's asking price will allow for them to keep both Bart and Jason Brown for the approximate cost of Ray. I don't know that I would be happy with that, if I were a Ravens fan, though. I'm elated about it as a Bengals fan.

Having watched a lot of Atlanta Falcons football, Michael Boley is a pretty good player, sort of a Landon Johnson-type.

Exactly the comparison I made to myself. Marvin has a fairly long history with 220/225 lb guys so I'm guessing there would be interest on some level....including a backup role.

I think Brandon Johnson already occupies his potential role on this team as a Nickel LB.

Yup, and that's why I wondered aloud if there is still a role for him here. But despite all of the above I wonder what type of FA price tag Boley could command after being phased out in Atlanta? How cheaply can he be had? Is he looking for a place to start over from scratch, and if so does his season with Zimmer count for anything?

Saw the same thing about the Ravens cutting off talks with Brown and also saw where the Vikings are also now looking at Brown since they won't be trying to regain the services of a declining Birk.

the more teams that get involved the less likely he'll land in cincy. this message brought to you by captain obvious.

Would anybody like to see ex Jaguars Mike Petterson, he was one hell of a LB. I wonder what he wants in free agency.

He is still a FA? Thats surprising. Although i think some of his talent came from playing behind Stroud and Henderson. I know personally that makes average players look ridiculous sometimes.

Would anybody like to see ex Jaguars Mike Petterson, he was one hell of a LB. I wonder what he wants in free agency.

I really dont want a 32 yr old (33 in june) LB who hasnt posted 100 tackles since 2005. What's the point? He played in 15 games last season, after playing in 10 in 2007, and only 5 in 2006. Seriously, whats the point in bringing in an old LB for a year or two if you are not already a contender? They'd be much better off with a younger LB or an impact guy who be around in a few seasons.

I really dont want a 32 yr old (33 in june) LB who hasnt posted 100 tackles since 2005. What's the point? He played in 15 games last season, after playing in 10 in 2007, and only 5 in 2006. Seriously, whats the point in bringing in an old LB for a year or two if you are not already a contender? They'd be much better off with a younger LB or an impact guy who be around in a few seasons.

especially one that was all but exiled from his team last year for being a distraction . . . wait maybe he'd fit in here.