OLB Brandon Johnson offered 2nd Round Tender

HAPPYJAQ

Per the official site:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7524

Another solid move by the squad. I am somewhat surprised that Corey Mays was not offered but I guess the Bengals fill he's in the Andre Frazier/Marcus Wilkins mold of star Special Teamers who are limited in what they can do from scrimmage. There's still a chance he could come back, though.

As far as Johnson goes, he's definitely a player on the rise and should be competing for a starting position. He played extremely well the 2nd half of the season, after replacing Rivers, and was in their Nickel packages all season. The 2nd round tender probably means the Bengals felt that other teams may have been interested in his services.

Seems the Bengals have learned from the Kevin Walter mistake. You can never have enough good players, especially guys that can play well on special teams. The Bengals are off to a good start in the offseason, so far.

Only in Bengal land do we give them kudos for making blatantly obvious moves that require little to no effort. :)

Little to no effort is allowing guys like Takeo Spikes, Eric Steinbach and others go for nothing. Under the radar moves like this one are steps in the right direction on building a great defense, at a place they've failed miserably before.

I think this may be a sign as to who they might be thinking of in the draft. Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Mays the backup MLB? Anyone else thinking they may go for Rey?

I hope they have some kind of plan. :huh: MLB was already thin and I thought Mays did a good job when called upon.

I am glad they tendered BJohnson who looked like one of the best players on D whenever he was in! :cheers:

I think this may be a sign as to who they might be thinking of in the draft. Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't Mays the backup MLB? Anyone else thinking they may go for Rey?

without trade their will bo no rey in stripes

Why because a MLB has never gone top 6? Did you forget Mike Brown owned the team,The same mike brown turned down the Saints entire draft because he wanted to sit there and take Akili instead even though akili would have been there after the trade.....If they want Rey they'll take him trade down or not.

Why on earth would they tender Corey Mays? They'll just offer him the same type of deal he had last year, 1 year at veteran minimum. If someone else offers more, he's easily replaceable.

I'll give you that he probably didn't garner the playing time in '08 to justify throwing $1mil+ at him. However, given the impact he made when given the opportunity and the lack of depth at his position on this team, I wouldn't call him "easily replaceable".

Maybe the team plans to sign him to a near-minimum deal in FA. Maybe the team has designs on someone else who can play MLB. I'm just saying -- and I think we can all agree -- that I hope they have *some* plan in regards to MLB because I prefer not to get caught w/ our pants down AGAIN at this critical position.