Combine Observations CB/S

HAPPYJAQ

Bad news.

With Malcolm Jenkins running a near 4.6 forty, it probably takes him out of consideration of Cleveland at #5. It looks like teams will look at him as a Safety now, and a 4.6 is even slow there, too. He did show some excellent ball skills and looked good in the drills.

I don't see Cleveland going OT or QB and a RB is too high there. They won't take Raji either, with getting Rogers last year. They need a 3-4 rush backer so my guess is that they take either Orakpo or Maybin, if Curry is gone. We might have out choice of the Orakpo/Maybin to Cleveland loser, Crabtree, Maclin or Raji and this all could change if KC drafts Sanchez.

Bad news.

With Malcolm Jenkins running a near 4.6 forty, it probably takes him out of consideration of Cleveland at #5. It looks like teams will look at him as a Safety now, and a 4.6 is even slow there, too. He did show some excellent ball skills and looked good in the drills.

I don't see Cleveland going OT or QB and a RB is too high there. They won't take Raji either, with getting Rogers last year. They need a 3-4 rush backer so my guess is that they take either Orakpo or Maybin, if Curry is gone. We might have out choice of the Orakpo/Maybin to Cleveland loser, Crabtree, Maclin or Raji and this all could change if KC drafts Sanchez.

I am saving up some money to buy my Michael Crabtree or Aaron Curry jersey. Crabtree is going at six, here is how I have it shaking out

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

Aaron Curry- Bengals (Trade 1st and a 3rd for the 4th pick)

Brian Orakpo- Cleveland Browns

Michael Crabtree- Seattle Seahawks (Makes a lot of sense considering this is who the Seahawks want, and Curry

would be the Bengals first choice with the top 2 tackles off the board)

Bad news.

I am saving up some money to buy my Michael Crabtree or Aaron Curry jersey. Crabtree is going at six, here is how I have it shaking out

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

Michael Crabtree- Seattle Seahawks (Makes a lot of sense considering this is who the Seahawks want, and Curry

curry does seem to be the gem of this draft, but with all the needs we have to address i'd be hesitant to give up picks. interesting thought though. more than likely the decision will made for us when curry goes #3 to the chiefs.

Bad news.

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

curry does seem to be the gem of this draft, but with all the needs we have to address i'd be hesitant to give up picks. interesting thought though. more than likely the decision will made for us when curry goes #3 to the chiefs.

It all depends on what the Lions due with the first pick.

If they take an OT with the pick we will get either Curry, Orakpo, Crabtree, Raji, or Moreno

If they go QB with the first pick I could see us getting Monroe, Orakpo, Raji, or Moreno

If they take Curry then I see the draft doing this:

Lions- Aaron Curry

Rams- Jason Smith

Chiefs- Matthew Stafford

SeaHawks- Michael Crabtree

Browns- Aaron Maybin/Orakpo/Trade down

Bengals- Monroe/Orakpo/Raji/Moreno

If the Lions take anything but a QB then the draft is going to get distorted, but I think when they look at McCoy and Bradford coming out in 2010 they are going to find them more appealing. THey have two pro bowl QB's on their roster right now.

I think Jason Smith made himself the number one pick with his combine performance

Bad news.

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

I'm trying not to panic, but after reading the above post I inadvertantly swallowed my gum. Worse, I fear the ramifications of this action are far more serious than the financial loss of a stick of gum as I can no longer breath properly and I worry I'm in danger of passing out soon. So if anyone out there in internet land knows how to do the Heimlich manuever please drop what you're doing and rush to my rescue. And please hurry. I really don't want to die and it was my very last piece of Juicy Fruit.

Bad news.

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

I'm trying not to panic, but after reading the above post I inadvertently swallowed my gum. Worse, I fear the ramifications of this action are far more serious than the financial loss of a stick of gum as I can no longer breath properly and I worry I'm in danger of passing out soon. So if anyone out there in internet land knows how to do the Heimlich maneuver please drop what you're doing and rush to my rescue. And please hurry. I really don't want to die and it was my very last piece of Juicy Fruit.

I don't know why you would be choking on your gum if this happened. I would be pretty damn jubilant if this happened. Considering the team needs I could see it happening, even though Mikey doesn't normally trade up to do things that make sense.

All I am saying is with a defense like this and a great coach like Zimmer:

Geathers, Sims, Peko, Odom

Rivers, Jones, Curry

Hall, Joseph, Ndukeye, White/Crocker

I could see us becoming a top 10 defense for the next decade!

Rivers, Maualuga, B. Johnson

Hall, Joseph, Ndukwe, Crocker

I keep telling you guys that this is the way the draft is going to go in some form.

1: Lions: Stafford

2: Rams: Jason Smith

3: Chiefs: Curry

4: Seahawks: Crabtree/Maclin

5: Browns: Orakpo

6: Bengals Maualuga

2nd round: we take Mack, Unger, Robinson, or Barwin (Barwin only if we land an FA Center)

I keep telling you guys that this is the way the draft is going to go in some form.

2nd round: we take Mack, Unger, Robinson, or Barwin (Barwin only if we land an FA Center)

Their are a lot of people we may pick, I just do not think that Rey will be the one. Number six is way to high for him. Something someone else pointed out was Patrick Willis. He was a complete LB and he is and was better than Maualuga coming out of college and he lasted to number 11.

I evaluated both Willis and Maualuga and as far as playing style and overall game impact I think actually Maualuga is better than Willis though only slightly. Willis had better stats in college but he was asked to do more as well, one of the drawbacks to working with 11 pro players in college is that you have to work within the confines of the defense, you can't just fly around free lance without screwing someone else up and messing up the continuity of the scheme.

Bad news.

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

If they take an OT with the pick we will get either Curry, Orakpo, Crabtree, Raji, or Moreno

If they go QB with the first pick I could see us getting Monroe, Orakpo, Raji, or Moreno

Lions- Aaron Curry

Rams- Jason Smith

Chiefs- Matthew Stafford

If the Lions take anything but a QB then the draft is going to get distorted, but I think when they look at McCoy and Bradford coming out in 2010 they are going to find them more appealing. THey have two pro bowl QB's on their roster right now.

I think Jason Smith made himself the number one pick with his combine performance

I think the Lions cemented the Stafford selection with re-signing Culpepper this week. 'Pepper would be the bridge to Stafford, while he develops. It's very rare to be able to get a QB with Stafford's skill set (especially arm strength) and college production. Some are comparing him to Jay Cutler and I think he's a better pro prospect than either McCoy or Bradford. They were both wise not to come out. Figure in Stanton has been a bust and Orlovsky a UFA, and the cupboard is pretty bare at QB. How about if the Lions were to somehow get Stafford and then trade up from #20 to get Andre Smith?

I see the draft as follows:

1. Lions - Stafford - Head and Shoulders the best QB prospect in the draft at a position they've failed to have an impact player in for 50 years. The Lions will allow him to sit behing Culpepper to start the season in the hope that Stafford will be ready by November and prepared to start the 2010 opener. The Lions will likely draft their LT later in the draft from the Beatty, Britton and Oher group.

2. Rams - Jason Smith - A very, very good prospect but not quite in the Jake Long class as a #1 overall pick. His game needs polish, especially in the running game, but he should be an impact LT for a long time on one of the worst OL's in football. Bonafide Pro Bowl potential LT and could eventually replace a declining Orlando Pace in protecting Mark Bulger's blind side, after Bulger took a beating behind their line last season.

3. Chiefs - Mark Sanchez - The dropoff between Sanchez and the 2nd round QB's is tremendous and they need a player there. Their new headcoach is a former QB coach who just came from a team with 2 Franchise QB's, the most recent guy being from USC. Sanchez would've been the #1 overall pick in '10, had he stayed in college and is a good value pick at #3. The Chiefs will pass on Aaron Curry and use former #1 picks Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali as OLB's in McDaniel's new 3-4 defense.

4. Seattle - Michael Crabtree - New HC Jm Mora, who loves to draft 1st round WR's (see Atlanta), will find the perfect weapon in their West Coast offense in Crabtree. Questionable speed will not be a factor in this offense and the Seahawks get a replacement for 2 disappointing receivers in Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. Seattle had the most injury-depleted receiving corp in the NFL last season.

5. Cleveland - Aaron Curry - The best player in the draft will fall to Cleveland at #5 overall and be the face of a defense that desperately needs an identity. New HC Eric Mangini hopes he will have his bookend LB's in their 3-4 scheme for years to come in Wimbley and Curry. The Browns are elated to have him fall in their laps, at this pick.

6. Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe - The Bengals land the most polished LT in the draft in Monroe, who should be a Day 1 starter for the Bengals. The move allows them to shift promising T Anthony Collins to RT to give the Bengals a young, solid set of bookend tackles, as Carson Palmer enters the prime if his career at QB. The temptation to select from the group of quality pash rushers is resisted due to the need to keep the Bengals franchise QB healthy, while improving in the running game.

Bad news.

Top 6 picks-

Jason Smith- Lions

Eugene Monroe- Rams

Matthew Stafford- Chiefs

Lions- Aaron Curry

Rams- Jason Smith

Chiefs- Matthew Stafford

I think the Lions cemented the Stafford selection with re-signing Culpepper this week. 'Pepper would be the bridge to Stafford, while he develops. It's very rare to be able to get a QB with Stafford's skill set (especially arm strength) and college production. Some are comparing him to Jay Cutler and I think he's a better pro prospect than either McCoy or Bradford. They were both wise not to come out. Figure in Stanton has been a bust and Orlovsky a UFA, and the cupboard is pretty bare at QB. How about if the Lions were to somehow get Stafford and then trade up from #20 to get Andre Smith?

I see the draft as follows:

1. Lions - Stafford - Head and Shoulders the best QB prospect in the draft at a position they've failed to have an impact player in for 50 years. The Lions will allow him to sit behing Culpepper to start the season in the hope that Stafford will be ready by November and prepared to start the 2010 opener. The Lions will likely draft their LT later in the draft from the Beatty, Britton and Oher group.

2. Rams - Jason Smith - A very, very good prospect but not quite in the Jake Long class as a #1 overall pick. His game needs polish, especially in the running game, but he should be an impact LT for a long time on one of the worst OL's in football. Bonafide Pro Bowl potential LT and could eventually replace a declining Orlando Pace in protecting Mark Bulger's blind side, after Bulger took a beating behind their line last season.

3. Chiefs - Mark Sanchez - The dropoff between Sanchez and the 2nd round QB's is tremendous and they need a player there. Their new headcoach is a former QB coach who just came from a team with 2 Franchise QB's, the most recent guy being from USC. Sanchez would've been the #1 overall pick in '10, had he stayed in college and is a good value pick at #3. The Chiefs will pass on Aaron Curry and use former #1 picks Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali as OLB's in McDaniel's new 3-4 defense.

4. Seattle - Michael Crabtree - New HC Jm Mora, who loves to draft 1st round WR's (see Atlanta), will find the perfect weapon in their West Coast offense in Crabtree. Questionable speed will not be a factor in this offense and the Seahawks get a replacement for 2 disappointing receivers in Deion Branch and Nate Burleson. Seattle had the most injury-depleted receiving corp in the NFL last season.

5. Cleveland - Aaron Curry - The best player in the draft will fall to Cleveland at #5 overall and be the face of a defense that desperately needs an identity. New HC Eric Mangini hopes he will have his bookend LB's in their 3-4 scheme for years to come in Wimbley and Curry. The Browns are elated to have him fall in their laps, at this pick.

6. Cincinnati - Eugene Monroe - The Bengals land the most polished LT in the draft in Monroe, who should be a Day 1 starter for the Bengals. The move allows them to shift promising T Anthony Collins to RT to give the Bengals a young, solid set of bookend tackles, as Carson Palmer enters the prime if his career at QB. The temptation to select from the group of quality pash rushers is resisted due to the need to keep the Bengals franchise QB healthy, while improving in the running game.

I defiantly agree that this could happen and I would be ok with it. If I were the Lions though I would stand pat and get my LT and then pick up a top defender with my other first rounder. Rey Rey may still be their and if he isn't then they could pick up James Laurentitis.

If only one QB is taken in the top 5 I think Brian Orakpo ends up in Cincy, especially if we stand pat at 6.

And to answer the next post: I seem to remember everyone in this place wanting and bitching about us not moving up to get Sedrick Ellis. I think Aaron Curry is just as much a playmaker on defense as Ellis was coming out of college and he would merit some more money and a third rounder. We would probably pick up an extra sixth rounder in that trade anyways.

I don't know why you would be choking on your gum if this happened. I would be pretty damn jubilant if this happened.

Really? Under the scenario painted above you'd be so dissatisfied with the options available at #6 that you'd burn a 3rd and a 4th round pick to move up?

If I could get AAron Curry at 4 I would definatly burn a third rounder to move up. However, I would only do this if both LT's were off the board. If the tackles aren't their then the best player for our defense is Curry. I would take Curry before I would take Orakpo and a third rounder. And I love Orakpo

Yeah, I wanna think that Curry would go to KC, but what would they do with Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali? Both were recent high #1's and Johnson just signed a mega extension and is not an inside player.

Their is absolutely no way he gets past Cleveland at #4. The only other possible pick there is Jenkins and I think he's run himself out of that spot with a 4.6 forty today.

I would absolutely trade a 3rd rounder to move up to get Curry, though. The guy's just a playmaker and a superior athlete to boot. A Curry-Johnson-Rivers linebacking trio would be insane for the next 5 years. They'd have to be convinced Curry can rush the passer in the NFL to make that move, though. That's the ONLY question on this guy, albeit a big question considering what they're looking for right now.

The Bengalszone board has the most intelligent Bengals fans on the net and I have a hypothetical question for you guys.

What if you give up a 3rd to get up to the #3 spot and Jason Smith or Monroe happen to be there, along with Curry? Who do you pick, also knowing you no longer have a 3rd rounder in the draft?

Yeah, I wanna think that Curry would go to KC, but what would they do with Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali? Both were recent high #1's and Johnson just signed a mega extension and is not an inside player.

Their is absolutely no way he gets past Cleveland at #4. The only other possible pick there is Jenkins and I think he's run himself out of that spot with a 4.6 forty today.

I would absolutely trade a 3rd rounder to move up to get Curry, though. The guy's just a playmaker and a superior athlete to boot. A Curry-Johnson-Rivers linebacking trio would be insane for the next 5 years. They'd have to be convinced Curry can rush the passer in the NFL to make that move, though. That's the ONLY question on this guy, albeit a big question considering what they're looking for right now.

The Bengalszone board has the most intelligent Bengals fans on the net and I have a hypothetical question for you guys.

What if you give up a 3rd to get up to the #3 spot and Jason Smith or Monroe happen to be there, along with Curry? Who do you pick, also knowing you no longer have a 3rd rounder in the draft?

Well I am of the thinking that Smith is much better than Monroe. They are pretty even prospects, but Smith crushed him at the combine. If I were picking between the three I would take Curry and then draft an OT in the second and use my comp pick in round 3 to get a RB.

This would mean we would have to get a Center in FA. As many busts as we have had in the past in the later rounds I got no quarrel with trading away a third rounder

Patrick was not complete he was small and got swalloed up on blockers...Reyrey is huge and is good at shedding bocks he's the type of dominate LB you want in the middle of your defense.

Their are a lot of people we may pick, I just do not think that Rey will be the one. Number six is way to high for him. Something someone else pointed out was Patrick Willis. He was a complete LB and he is and was better than Maualuga coming out of college and he lasted to number 11.

Patrick was not complete he was small and got swalloed up on blockers...Reyrey is huge and is good at shedding bocks he's the type of dominate LB you want in the middle of your defense.

Can you say Overrated? Rey had the benefit of playing with three other great linebackers (All of which were invited to the combine) I do like him, but I think he won't go before 12. It was kind of disappointing seeing him go down so early. I wanted to see what he could do.

If only one QB is taken in the top 5 I think Brian Orakpo ends up in Cincy, especially if we stand pat at 6.

Honestly, I think if only one QB is taken then it means Curry is gone and increases the odds of Orakpo going to Cleveland.

I seem to remember everyone in this place wanting and bitching about us not moving up to get Sedrick Ellis.

I was one of those "everyone" who wanted to move up to get Ellis, but Sims actually had a more productive year. That being the case, I will be more than happy to sit back and let the organization figure out if either Curry or Orakpo is a better for the team. I won't go on and on about it this year.

Once again, I think if they are targeting a RT then they could wait until the 3rd to get him or even the top of the 4th and take RB in the 3rd. That would also mean that our first rounder would HAVE to be the BPA. Many are now projecting Curry as the top player in the draft. It just so happens that LB is a need for us, so I think Curry would be the pick. Without a FA center, the 2nd rounder would have to be the highest rated one in the draft (Mack, Unger, Wood).

You could very easily argue protecting Carson is the priority and go with Smith. I still think center would be the pick in the top of the 2nd minus a FA signing and then RB at the bottom of the 3rd. I wouldn't necessarily argue with either approach.

It all depends on how the Bengals slot the players and I have no idea in that regard...

If I could get AAron Curry at 4 I would definatly burn a third rounder to move up. However, I would only do this if both LT's were off the board. If the tackles aren't their then the best player for our defense is Curry. I would take Curry before I would take Orakpo and a third rounder. And I love Orakpo

I seems I swallowed my gum for no reason. (Good thing I lived, right?)

I realize now your trade up scenario involved only a 3rd round pick.....instead of a 3rd and a 4th as I mistakenly assumed. My bad. Apologies all around.

While Malcolm Jenkins did disappoint some, fellow Buckeye Donald Washington did not. His 4.5 forty was ok, but a 45" vertical leap and a 11'3" broad jump is incredible. He would be a nick pick up in the 4th or so round.

The two mid-round guys I like are Sherrod Martin of Troy and Kevin Barnes of Maryland. They're both experienced senior DBs that have good size and had decent workouts at the combine. I see Barnes as a nickle that could develop into a decent starter and Martin can play both nickle and safety. Martin would probably be a good option to rotate in at safety to cover the three good tight ends in our division.