Bengals Resign Coats

ArmyBengal

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7497

Just thought I'd share the news...

Posted: 11:30 a.m.

The Bengals on Thursday signed fullback/tight end Dan Coats, a third-year NFL player who has been with Cincinnati for the past two seasons. Coats played in 31 of 32 Bengals games over 2007-08, with 14 receptions for 141 yards (10.1). Coats's original Bengals contract expired after the 08 season, and due to his experience level, the Bengals held his exclusive NFL rights for 2009.

I liked what I saw from Coats at TE the year before last season. His weaknesses at that point were his blocking and adjustments at the line of scrimmage, but he seemed to run decent routes and had pretty good hands.

So going into last season I was pretty optimistic about what Coats might bring to the table at TE after a year under his belt.

...then they made him a FB. Which seemed like a great idea. I had visions of all the fun possibilities of having the option to motion your FB out to the TE position.

Problem was, Coats is a lousy fullback. He can't run block, or pick up blitzes.

So hopefully, they sign a real FB and we can see what Coats can do at TE again.

So we have Kelley, Utecht, Sherry, and Coats now at tight end. Hopefully Utecht can come back from his season of misfortune and develop something with Carson. Sherry is a big guy, so it will be interesting to see how he comes on this season.

Well they usually keep 3 TE's right? Not counting Brad "the choker" St.Louis.

So it seems to me that they keep Kelly and Utecht, with Sherry and Coats fighting for the 3rd position. Might come down to special teams play.

So we have Kelley, Utecht, Sherry, and Coats now at tight end. Hopefully Utecht can come back from his season of misfortune and develop something with Carson. Sherry is a big guy, so it will be interesting to see how he comes on this season.

Well they usually keep 3 TE's right? Not counting Brad "the choker" St.Louis.

So it seems to me that they keep Kelly and Utecht, with Sherry and Coats fighting for the 3rd position. Might come down to special teams play.

Sherry looks like another wasted pick or developmental type. I don't think he can beat out Coats based on the fact that Coats plays on every kicking team and can also "play" FB. Sherry could be in line to replace Kelly in '10, though.

Still don't have a TE who can catch, stay healthy, or provide a consistent outlet in the passing game...along with a bunch of now below-average blockers.

Utecht is junk and a disappointment.

At some point, like the 0-lineman junk they keep drafting in mid-rounds, you have to pick up a quality TE, and quit drafting WR's, CB's and RB's in the first 3 rounds every year at least.

I will lump Utecht in the same group as Odom, he got hurt early and pretty much stayed broke. He hadn't had those type of durability concerns while with the Colts, so there's not any reason (at least at this point) to think he won't come back and be the type of TE the Bengals thought they were getting when they picked him up. That being said, and just like Odom, another year with little to no production and then I would agree with you 100%. I'm just not quite there yet, but get what you are saying...

I will lump Utecht in the same group as Odom, he got hurt early and pretty much stayed broke. He hadn't had those type of durability concerns while with the Colts, so there's not any reason (at least at this point) to think he won't come back and be the type of TE the Bengals thought they were getting when they picked him up. That being said, and just like Odom, another year with little to no production and then I would agree with you 100%. I'm just not quite there yet, but get what you are saying...

I thought that Odom played well when he was in there last season. I like his speed on the edge and he is a better run defender than advertised. I'm expecting a big season, playing next to Sims all season.

The guy broke his foot on the first day of training camp and showed some toughness even making it on the field this season.

I thought that Odom played well when he was in there last season. I like his speed on the edge and he is a better run defender than advertised. I'm expecting a big season, playing next to Sims all season.

The guy broke his foot on the first day of training camp and showed some toughness even making it on the field this season.

yeah it's ludicrous to give up on odom after one injured season. with sims and peko improving, pockets will collapse and QB's will roll out into the waiting arms of odom and geathers

That's my whole point of Utecht and Odom. Give it another year and see how it all plays out. There were very few, if any, people here who weren't happy with those two picks ups. Injury plagued seasons, while irritating, don't make those two pickups lousy. I still think Utecht will be a weapon for Carson and you know he has the capability. Odom will fare better with a healthy camp and Sims having another year in the system. If Shirley gets into the rotation and becomes that big wide body, it could only help the likes of not only Odom, but the whole linebacking corps as well...