Bengals show heavy interest in Rey Maualuga

BlainThePain

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Hard-hitting USC linebacker Rey Maualuga has hired agent Steve Feldman, Scout.com’s Adam Caplan reports.

The Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year is projected as a high first-round draft pick and has already drawn heavy interest from the Cincinnati Bengals, who hold the sixth overall pick.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see ALL KINDS of stories about who the Bengals are targeting. I'm hoping there is a story about how the Bengals have shifted focus and are now targeting either Crabtree or Macklin as the impending trade of Chad will make this a priority. I don't give a sh*t if it stirs the pot or not. Just keep other teams guessing to what move we may make and increase the odds of having someone wanting to move up in the draft to get the guy they want.

I REALLY WANT TO TRADE DOWN...

I want to see ALL KINDS of stories about who the Bengals are targeting. I'm hoping there is a story about how the Bengals have shifted focus and are now targeting either Crabtree or Macklin as the impending trade of Chad will make this a priority. I don't give a sh*t if it stirs the pot or not. Just keep other teams guessing to what move we may make and increase the odds of having someone wanting to move up in the draft to get the guy they want.

Unless you've got the number 1, how can any team "target" one player on January 21? Of course teams will be lining up dozens of "targets" between now and draft day. Most likely a Bengal coach is blowing smoke at a willing journalist that has a deadline to meet.

Based on team needs they "target" players. So it's probabaly more towards a specific position, but you have to know they have certain players lined up. Jacksonville is in need of a WR. I'm sure Crabtree would be the main guy they would love to see drop or have an opportunity to trade up for, but then again, they may be more than satisfied to sit where they are and take Maclin from Missouri. That being said, they may not take a WR at all, but you get my point...

Unless you've got the number 1, how can any team "target" one player on January 21? Of course teams will be lining up dozens of "targets" between now and draft day. Most likely a Bengal coach is blowing smoke at a willing journalist that has a deadline to meet.

well Most anyone could call last years draft 1-7 and then 49ers with their gaze on willis when they took him 12th...

While I don't feel like LB is the greatest need for the Bengals, I don't think I could complain too much about Maualuga. Bringing him in next to Rivers would do loads for the front seven.

I'd prefer a player who would help more with the pass rush, but Maualuga and Rivers could end up being a LB tandem that holds this defense down for the next 10 years.

I think it also fits with an intelligent draft strategy. You don't reach for a position of need. You take the best available player, and if Maualuga is the best player on the board, I think you take him. It might not be the Bengals greatest need... but Dhani Jones isn't a future pro bowler. Maualuga with his ideal size, great speed, and amazing passion has the potential to end up being a hall of famer. I think you take that when you have the chance.

While I don't feel like LB is the greatest need for the Bengals, I don't think I could complain too much about Maualuga. Bringing him in next to Rivers would do loads for the front seven.

I'd prefer a player who would help more with the pass rush, but Maualuga and Rivers could end up being a LB tandem that holds this defense down for the next 10 years.

I think it also fits with an intelligent draft strategy. You don't reach for a position of need. You take the best available player, and if Maualuga is the best player on the board, I think you take him. It might not be the Bengals greatest need... but Dhani Jones isn't a future pro bowler. Maualuga with his ideal size, great speed, and amazing passion has the potential to end up being a hall of famer. I think you take that when you have the chance.

Very well said. I wouldn't mind if the Bengals ended up picking Maualuga.

well Most anyone could call last years draft 1-7 and then 49ers with their gaze on willis when they took him 12th...

That draft was two years ago.

That draft was two years ago.

I said "when" he went 12th I didn't say it was last season,Only said 1-7 for last years draft ;)

Well, Bengals pick 6th, so "dozens" of "targets" isn't appropriate. How about a maximum of 6? And then when you consider that there is an incredibly high probability that at least one QB will go in the top 5 as well as the likelihood of Crabtree going in the top 5, that even further lessens the number of "targets" the Bengals need. My guess is the Bengals will "target" Maualuga, Curry, Orakpo, and a couple OTs.

The fact that the Bengals appear to be especially interested in a top tier MLB that played with and has good rapport with their other potential star LB shouldn't come as a surprise and really isn't all that newsworthy. Neither do I see it as "blowing smoke." Maualuga is a top 10 pick. The Bengals have a top 10 pick. Marvin loves drafting first day LB's. Hmm... Looking for a shocking story with twists and surprise endings? Move along people. Nothing to see here.

He's been getting his ass handed to him all week. He sux.

Yes because few bad practices out weigh 3 years of being a Force in the middle for USC...yes he is terrible we would be screwed if we drafted him...

Let's instead take someone who has been avg - crappy for 4years but is having good senior bowl practices.

The thing that bothers me is that, if you've ever watched USC games, he disappears for LONG stretches at a time. He is not a player who is in on nearly every tackle, a la Ray Lewis or even Pat Willis. Brain Cushing is far more consistent, albeit less spectacular. Rey is also shows a penchant of going for the "big hit", instead of wrapping up, although that can be corrected. I've heard and read mixed reviews of his Senior Bowl practices overall. One thing that is for sure is he will probably be the one player available at that spot that will impact the team the most, both on and off the field, and he should team well with Rivers. For those reasons, I would be happy with the pick.

Two other players the Bengals like are the two Dt's from BC. They both have been really dominant in the Senior Bowl practices. Could the Bengals go with Rey at 6 and then package Chad and a second rounder to move up back up in the first round to select one of the two BC DTs?

I like that idea. Would Mikey be willing to pay 2 first round draft picks? The last time it happened was 1998 when we took Spikes and Simmons in the first round.

Two other players the Bengals like are the two Dt's from BC. They both have been really dominant in the Senior Bowl practices. Could the Bengals go with Rey at 6 and then package Chad and a second rounder to move up back up in the first round to select one of the two BC DTs?

I like that idea. Would Mikey be willing to pay 2 first round draft picks? The last time it happened was 1998 when we took Spikes and Simmons in the first round.

If we trade into the first round I say we take Knowshown Mareno give or take the spelling.

The guy is going to be a great RB at the next level

"First of all, you have to look at the body of work of these players," Duffner said after he worked with his marquee names in Thursday's South practice. "One practice or one drill or anything like that can't make you or break you. He's had a very productive career. They come in, they're working in a different scheme, and they're working around different players. You can't look at one practice, one play, one drill."

Brain Cushing is far more consistent, albeit less spectacular. Rey is also shows a penchant of going for the "big hit", instead of wrapping up, although that can be corrected.

I recall the exact same analysis by many regarding Bobby Carpenter being a better NFL player than A.J. Hawk. Spot on accurate, huh?

The thing that bothers me is that, if you've ever watched USC games, he disappears for LONG stretches at a time. He is not a player who is in on nearly every tackle, a la Ray Lewis or even Pat Willis. Brain Cushing is far more consistent, albeit less spectacular.

What the? Bro, you obviously dont watch too many USC games, living in Socal, every game is on TV, so I dont know what you're seeing. Teams run plays AWAY from Rey, and as for him "not in on every tackle" is anyone? NO, because if they were, they'd have 300 tackles a season. HE IS however, always around the ball, and when he is the First one there, there is no need for a second player.

And your comment about him going for the "big hit" instead of wrapping up? RIDICULOUS, Just because a player can deliver a "big hit" doesnt mean he cant form tackle, Rey lays wood to you, but he's also a great tackler, and will also take your legs out from under you, so he is not just a "big hitter"

I dont really need to defend him, as his play will do that by itself. I would LOVE to get this guy, as you usually only find 1 or 2 IMPACT LB's in a draft, some years NONE, and you can find solid OT's every year.

True story.

Yesterday I'm half watching half ignoring the coverage of Day 3 South squad.

At the critical moment in time I happen to have my head in my checkbook, paying the electric bill...while the television blares in the background.

Blah, blah, blah. My eyes are glazed over and I'm half deaf from listening to the monotone mutterings of Charles Davis.

I pray for death.

Why do I do this I wonder?

Live scrimmage though. Full squads, full pads, flat out.

I stay awake.

I pay my electric bill.

And in the background I hear the pads popping.

poppity...bap...click....pop....BANG....piff...pop...ptwee

I grab the remote and hit rewind.

Who made that banging sound I wondered?

I should have known. :lol: