Reds trade for catcher Hernandez from Orioles

BengalszoneBilly

The Reds gain another mid .250 hitter. Big whoop.

Reds get C Hernandez from Orioles

LAS VEGAS – The Baltimore Orioles have traded catcher Ramon Hernandez to the Baltimore Orioles for outfielder Ryan Freel and a pair of minor leaguers.

The rebuilding Orioles also got minor league infielders Justin Turner and Brandon Waring.

As part of the deal, Baltimore will give Cincinnati cash to offset part of Hernandez's contract. He is owed $8.5 million next year.

I'm not sure what to think of the deal as I'm not greatly familiar with Hernandez. I know the Reds needed some help at the catcher position and Hernandez hit .257 with 15 HR's and 65 RBI's, but the guy doesn't appear to have much of an arm or is inaccurate with only throwing our 19.5 percent of base stealers (Caught 24 of 123)...

I guess with Baltimore sending some cash our way to offset the salary of Hernandez, it's not bad with the improvement in batting...

They are supposedly sending 3 million in cash to go along w/ Freels 4 million hit. The reds end up paying 1 million more than what they would have if they kept Freel. He is also classified as a class A free agent and will net at least 1 first round pick when he leaves. He is a really clutch hitter and has seemed to lack motivation the last couple of years. He is also the godfather to Tejada's Son and it might help to lure Miguel our way w/ a trade w/ Houston for Homer and some other prospects. I know it won't happen but I can dream.

Where's my buddy Semiotter when I need him to weigh in ??

This same topic is being discussed at the Baltimore Ravens forum, and they are quite glad to unload this guy. I believe "bum" was the term they used.

I have heard that he's been lazy the last couple of years but I also heard that he was known as a hustler w/ Oakland.

If he was even partially responsible for the development of the A's great starting rotation while he was there, then he's a god-send and well worth the dinero.

Where's my buddy Semiotter when I need him to weigh in ??

Hey I just got in off the road and being a big REDS and ORIOLES fan i cant lose either way. But if RYAN can stay healty he will really do well in Balt. And Hernandez comes back to the NL were he had his best years as a Padre, so maybe he will shine in Cincy.... :) and PS tnks for thinking about me....lol