Should Rudi make the team?

MARVIN=W'S

I would love to see Marvin and MB cut rudi and give the starting job to Perry. I completely understand Perry's injury history and that he has not proven to be durable. I get it. However, that's what Kenny Watson would be for, insurance in case of an injury. Just as he was last year when Rudi went down. I think we would all agree that he did a good job stepping into the starting role when he had to. He could do it again if needed in the case of a Perry injury. I also think you need to see what you really have in Perry. You don't draft a guy in the first round to just be your third down back. First round draft picks need to start. So aside from his injury history which we have Watson as insurance, what is the downside of giving him the feature role? I think the three RBs should be Perry, Watson, and De De. All guys have the hands and burst that Rudi just doesn't provide. Rudi had a good run, I just think it's time to move on.

WHO DEY!!

It should be all hands on deck, its a grueling 16 game schedule and to ask Perry to carry the load is not good roster management, ease Rudi in the lineup and he will reward you late in the year IMO. I hope to God Perry doesnt play against Detroit sunday, he should be locked in his dorm room that game.

I think we need all of them (Watson, Perry, and Rudi). I would use Rudi like the Steelers used Bettis (if Rudi returns to his '05 form) in his final years. Short yardage situations. Perry and Watson are every down backs, IMO. You can leave them in on all downs. You can't do that with Rudi, he's got hands of stone.

I think we need all of them (Watson, Perry, and Rudi). I would use Rudi like the Steelers used Bettis (if Rudi returns to his '05 form) in his final years. Short yardage situations. Perry and Watson are every down backs, IMO. You can leave them in on all downs. You can't do that with Rudi, he's got hands of stone.

Agreed. Of course Rudi makes the team. You need an effective 1-2 punch at running back so when you've got the lead in the 4th quarter, you grind the other defense and the tempo of the game down to chew up the clock. This is where Rudi Johnson specializes.

Having said that, he's more than likely on his last legs as an NFL running back either this season or next. The Bengals would be wise to look for his replacement (a between-the-tackles bell cow) soon.

Rudi starts, Perry plays third downs, Watson plays ST and subs for either of these guys when they have their inevitable breakdowns.

(Why do I feel as if I'm repeating myself?)

I disagree in that Rudi starts, Perry has a series or 2 to rest Rudi per half, and Watson plays 3rd down.

In an ideal situation (and as said previously here) The Bengals start Chris Perry, mixing in Rudi and Watson. I would love to see a healthy and fresh Rudi in late in some of the pound-it-out games in the division. Throughout his career, Rudi has done his best work when defenses tire. I see the average game with 35-40 carries from the backs with the hot hand getting the bulk of the snaps, but then again, it all depends on how the defense performs. If we're in the lead, there is nothing better than running Rudi, but Perry/Watson give them the best chances receiving/blocking. I would rest Perry the rest of the preseason and get a closer look at Rudi and DeDe/J.Johson. We all know what Watson can do.

If preseason has any value whatsoever....(shrug)....it involves unproven players

It bugs me that I agree with something you said, but I think Rudi has something to prove also. His stats have been declining the last couple of years (whether or not that has to do with the o-line is debatable) and he also needs to prove that he's 100% and can be dependable again.

Yep, I want to see Perry play as much as he can prior to the season opener !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yes, Rudi should make the team and Rudi should start, Rudi has done to much for this team to not at least give him a chance to compete, he was hurt most of last year, let's see what he can do when healthy. On a side note, since Irons was waived, I'd love for this team to sign RB Tony Temple of Missouri last year, this guy is a stud and if given a chance could be a suprise for an NFL team willing to give him a true chance.

Yep, I want to see Perry play as much as he can prior to the season opener !!!

WHODEY !!!

Yes, Rudi should make the team and Rudi should start, Rudi has done to much for this team to not at least give him a chance to compete, he was hurt most of last year, let's see what he can do when healthy. On a side note, since Irons was waived, I'd love for this team to sign RB Tony Temple of Missouri last year, this guy is a stud and if given a chance could be a suprise for an NFL team willing to give him a true chance.

I disagree with the first part but totally am with you on the second part.

Rudi is as close to being done as can be possible. Given the sal cap, this could be it if he is not back to being productive. I have been a big Rudi fan but this is the NFL and a Bizness. If he can tote the note, then rally on. if not, this is no time to wait and see or get him healthy. too much shuffling, too much indecision, too much of nothing.

As for Tony Temple, I am right there with you. He is a real sleeper who impressed me all last year. he reminds me of a Westbrook type guy.. noy going to beat you with crazy speed but more with his diverse skills.

apparently, rudi has put himself back into his old 'bowling ball' form of running- punishing defenders and keepin those legs movin.

but he hasn't played yet...if he has truly regained his previous form, we definitely keep him...but we have to see him play a few games before we see what he's done to prepare for this season before we think about keeping/cutting him.

and to boot, cperry, while gifted, is not reliable, so there's no way we say, "dude can flat out play, let's start him"...dude can't keep his joints hinged

apparently, rudi has put himself back into his old 'bowling ball' form of running- punishing defenders and keepin those legs movin.

but he hasn't played yet...if he has truly regained his previous form, we definitely keep him...but we have to see him play a few games before we see what he's done to prepare for this season before we think about keeping/cutting him.

and to boot, cperry, while gifted, is not reliable, so there's no way we say, "dude can flat out play, let's start him"...dude can't keep his joints hinged

Rudi will stick and by all rights should if he can at least be getting us 4 yards a carry on 1st or 2ed down. But he is too expensive to carry as a 1 down guy. Unfortunately Chris Perry could run for a 1000 yards in the pre-season and you still have to wonder about him....will he still be playing at a high level in November? You know what Watson does best, 3rd down. The other backs have such a thin resume that they really can't be counted on to run in Pittsburg or Baltimore in Nov and Dec.

Plain as day, if Rudi can't be that 4+yards per carry guy on 1st and 2ed down, the Bengals are screwed this year.

Rudi needs his # of carries to be limited at this point in his career. He should be used for clock control in the 2nd half when defenses are tiring. He can be really effective. Watson IMO should get the bulk of the first half carries, and we'll see how Perry does.

The key is to have more of a balanced team, with a defense that doesn't give up so many long drives and gives the offense more shots per game. That was a huge problem the last two years.

The o-line has to do a better job with run blocking. Things come together for a guy like Rudi when a team is playing well and things are put together and there's balance. He can be a top 5 back on a good team with a decent o-line and a top 15 defense. I don't know that we have those things here at this point.