Browns Lose Another Corner

From PFT...

BROWNS LOSE HOLLY

Posted by Mike Florio on May 21, 2008, 2:38 p.m.

The bad news is that the Cleveland Browns have lost starting cornerback Daven Holly to a “serious” knee injury.

The good news is that they still have Leigh Bodden. (Oops.)

With Bodden traded to Detroit for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, the Browns are suddenly thin at the position. And the Philadelphia Eagles suddenly have more leverage in their efforts to trade cornerback Lito Sheppard.

The Browns haven’t disclosed the extent of Holly’s injury.

I don't. They left themselves no wiggle room at CB. Very poor planning.

Theyre defn. a NOW team ala marvin lewis' new saying. Too bad they're NOW got them 10-6 and NOW is now THEN lol. NOW its time for them to go back to 5-11.

Theyre defn. a NOW team ala marvin lewis' new saying. Too bad they're NOW got them 10-6 and NOW is now THEN lol. NOW its time for them to go back to 5-11.

For probably the first time, I actually agree with you.

Uhh.. I'm gonna have to say that probably won't happen, Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald are both very talented.

Romeo and Mel Tucker both can develop corners that aren't drafted high, plus the fact that our front seven is going to make them look much better by putting pressure on the QB.

Uhh.. I'm gonna have to say that probably won't happen, Eric Wright and Brandon McDonald are both very talented.

Romeo and Mel Tucker both can develop corners that aren't drafted high, plus the fact that our front seven is going to make them look much better by putting pressure on the QB.

I thought Eric Wright was having legal problems?

Nice to see one of the few Browns fans with common courtesy back posting. As far as I'm concerned you are always a welcome addition to any football discussion.

I thought Eric Wright was having legal problems?

Nice to see one of the few Browns fans with common courtesy back posting. As far as I'm concerned you are always a welcome addition to any football discussion.

When he was at USC during the 2004-2005 season he did, and that's why he transferred to UNLV, but from everything I know he is fine now.

Hopefully Philly will be able to get something good for Sheppard, if the trade happens. Philly is overloaded with CB talent and limited cap space because of it, they need to get rid of Sheppard. As much as I loved this guy, he is somewhat prone to give up some big plays. Fingers crossed...

The browns didn't draft a cornerback did they?

I guess the Bengals late round picks will do well this year too looking at our past in players like Housh and Nudukwe. That's good news for us seeing how we have alot of late round picks.

I think the Browns cornerbacks are adequate and their depth is hurting badly. Your front 7 may produce well but consider that your 2 new aquistions played in a 4-3 defense before coming to the Browns and Rogers is known to get frustrated in a 2 gap defense. Imagine his frustration as a NT. I'm not sold that a team that ranks 30th in the league in defense, that stayed very healthy all year long, adds 2 DTs, loses their best CB.....and then all of the sudden is a defense to be reckoned with. I don't buy it. I truly believe that your weakness will be in the secondary and teams will game plan against that.

I think the Browns are a good team, I really do...but they won't make the playoffs this year. I'm not sold on Anderson. They won't sneak up on anyone this year. 5 prime time games can cause alot of inconsistency. I think they fall to 8-8 or below this year. Sorry...but your fanbase is going to have a meltdown when things don't start like they did in 2007. Pittsburgh and Dallas to start the year is tough.

Once Anderson is gone and Quinn starts in '09 I think they will be a very good team.

I guess the Bengals late round picks will do well this year too looking at our past in players like Housh and Nudukwe. That's good news for us seeing how we have alot of late round picks.

I think the Browns cornerbacks are adequate and their depth is hurting badly. Your front 7 may produce well but consider that your 2 new aquistions played in a 4-3 defense before coming to the Browns and Rogers is known to get frustrated in a 2 gap defense. Imagine his frustration as a NT. I'm not sold that a team that ranks 30th in the league in defense, that stayed very healthy all year long, adds 2 DTs, loses their best CB.....and then all of the sudden is a defense to be reckoned with. I don't buy it. I truly believe that your weakness will be in the secondary and teams will game plan against that.

I think the Browns are a good team, I really do...but they won't make the playoffs this year. I'm not sold on Anderson. They won't sneak up on anyone this year. 5 prime time games can cause alot of inconsistency. I think they fall to 8-8 or below this year. Sorry...but your fanbase is going to have a meltdown when things don't start like they did in 2007. Pittsburgh and Dallas to start the year is tough.

Once Anderson is gone and Quinn starts in '09 I think they will be a very good team.

I kind of agree with your statement up untill "Quinn starts in '09 I think they will be a very good team." Quinn is not a sure thing as an NFL QB, his play at ND was spotty at best and most of his stats were built on games against some weak teams.

I hope the Browns are the team that battles the Bengals for the division, I would love to see a return to Ohio teams dominating thier division.

No, the Browns didn't draft a cornerback this year surprisingly.

I agree, I think our corners are good, we just don't have the depth at the moment. I don't think that Shaun Rogers will have much of a problem at NT, I'd be more worried about Corey Williams. Bodden was absolutely god awful last year, and was constantly injured, I don't see why losing him would bring this defense down.

Teams are going to game plan against the secondary? Well, that might work and all, until the QB is facing constant pressure the entire game, and starts making bad decisions and gets sacked every other play.

I don't really think we "Snuck up" on anyone last year, we were just better than them, and played against an average schedule.

No, the Browns didn't draft a cornerback this year surprisingly.

I agree, I think our corners are good, we just don't have the depth at the moment. I don't think that Shaun Rogers will have much of a problem at NT, I'd be more worried about Corey Williams. Bodden was absolutely god awful last year, and was constantly injured, I don't see why losing him would bring this defense down.

Teams are going to game plan against the secondary? Well, that might work and all, until the QB is facing constant pressure the entire game, and starts making bad decisions and gets sacked every other play.

I don't really think we "Snuck up" on anyone last year, we were just better than them, and played against an average schedule.

The mistake that the media and most fans make is that they take the previous year as a template or a basis for the upcoming year. We see the Browns as already a 10-6 team in 2008 just because they were a 10-6 team in 2007. Add some good DTs and wa-la, you've got a 12-4 team that is AFCN champs, right? This is a recipe for disappointment to assume this.

It doesn't work that way. The NFL is way too fluid. The reason is because of strength of schedule (by the way the Browns had arguably the easiest schedule in the NFL in 2007), injuries, players moving from team to team, etc, the list goes on...

Like it or not, the Browns schedule, their lack of injuries, and the fact is they DID surprise other teams last year, will all add to the challenge. Add to it the 5 primetime games and it is going to be VERY tough for the Browns to hit 10-6 again this year. I don't think they'll do it. There is no way that the Browns walk away with the division this year. No way. I'm putting my money on the Steelers to win the AFCN.

By the way, the Bengals can very easily gameplan against a weak secondary. Short intermediate passes, slant routes. A good defense has balance to succeed. The Browns don't have that balance and it will show this year even with the addition of Rogers. Just ask Detroit.

The Browns won't get that much pressure to where they're getting sacks every other down... It just doesn't happnen, I don't care who's playing on the D line... You guys really need to improve the secondary or teams will take advantage of that. I hear Vincent's still available.

The Browns won't get that much pressure to where they're getting sacks every other down... It just doesn't happnen, I don't care who's playing on the D line... You guys really need to improve the secondary or teams will take advantage of that. I hear Vincent's still available.

When I said every other down, I was just trying to make a point, I don't literally mean every other down.

I'd pass on Vincent, he might be a little too old.. We signed Terry Cousin recently, who isn't a bad pickup, and I wouldn't mind making a trade for somebody.