1 thing that bugs me about this offseason

walzav29

I have to wonder if the Bengals would have made a better offer earlier for Shaun Rogers how that would have changed the draft. The more I hear about Sims and Shirley when you take into account the character issue compared to Rogers proven Pro-Bowl resume. The Bengals still could have gotten a DT with the difference of being proven, still would have gotten Rivers, and a running back. We wouldn't have to go through all of this character talk. Well, woulda shoulda coulda. When I think of the worst case scenario Rogers dominating, and a Sims/Shirley off the field incident and no running game makes me nervous.

You do know Rogers would have come with his own character issues, right? The knock on him is that he, at times, would make Dan Wilkinson look motivated by comparison...

ETA: My point being, as much as I wanted Rogers, he was no sure thing either. There are few sure things in the NFL.

Rogers has a history of beating women, I think. Other than that, while he would have been an upgrade, chances of him staying on the field all year are slim. He's been having injury issues as of late and it wasn't necessarily the Bengals fault the deal fell through. They worked out a deal, then the commish denied it.

I know, but he is a 2-time probowler. Just saying.

Right. He's good when he wants to be. Not so much when he doesn't. Ask any Lions fan and they will roll their eyes about how he could change a game when he exerted himself, and how frustrated they were that it wasn't consistent from him. At all.

No. sure. things.

I wanted him, I thought it worth the roll of the dice, but I am certainly not looking back at it wistfully....

• 2 weeks later...
I know, but he is a 2-time probowler. Just saying.

Right. He's good when he wants to be. Not so much when he doesn't. Ask any Lions fan and they will roll their eyes about how he could change a game when he exerted himself, and how frustrated they were that it wasn't consistent from him. At all.

No. sure. things.

I wanted him, I thought it worth the roll of the dice, but I am certainly not looking back at it wistfully....

No doubt Shaun Rogers can be dominant when he wants too, but the dude just takes too many plays off(sometimes whole games). Last year, he had 6.5 of his 7 sacks in 4 games(Chicago 1, Chicago 1, Denver 2.5, KC 2) against teams with mediocre offensive lines and poor QB's. Add in the 39 tackles he had, and I just cant see giving up the draft picks, and having to then shell out what Cleveland did, 6 years $42 million, with $23 mil guaranteed over the first 3 years.

Way too much money(and picks) for a guy who only plays hard when he feels like it.

One last thing to consider.....Knowing how important good DT's are to a defense, you have to wonder WHY Detroit was willing to Trade him? Its one thing to let a so-called "star" DT leave as a free-agent, its a whole other thing entirely, to trade him. Especially for only a 3rd and 5th(or a 3rd and Leigh Bodden as it turned out).

I'm not that sold on Rogers either. He definitely seems like the type who would only play kind of hard in a contract year, and even then (like you say) pile up the stats against chumps.

As a wise man once said, "fat, lazy, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". I think Rogers is at least 2 of the 3. Still, if we could have gotten him relatively cheap, what the heck?