Sedric Ellis under 300

Caught the NFL Network's recap of USC's ProDay.

Highlights...

Disappointed by his performance at Indy, Sedrick Ellis hired a new trainer who put him on a strict chicken and veggie diet, and has dropped 11 pounds since the combine. He now weighs 298 pounds and ran a much quicker 5.01, beating his combine time by .24. He also lifted 225# 36 times.

Mike Mayoch and Charles Davis claimed the real star of USC's Proday was Keith Rivers. Rivers was said to be outstanding in all of the drills, ran a 4.58, and stunned scouts with a 42" vertical leap.

TE Fred Davis was said to have disappointed a bit, running two 4.7's and looking stiff in change of direction drills.

RB Chauncy Washington was also said to be a little stiff in change of direction drills, but created a buzz by showing up at a ripped 218 pounds and then running a suprising 4.4. Pete Carrol noted Washington's "competitive speed"...saying he rarely gets caught from behind.

Thomas Williams, a very highly regarded but little known LB also ran well, ripping off a 4.7 and a 4.9. Williams rarely started at USC, but earned plenty of playing time by backing up all three LB positions. He's pretty good.

Caught the NFL Network's recap of USC's ProDay.

Highlights...

Sedrick Ellis hired a new trainer who put him on a strict chicken and veggie diet, and has dropped 11 pounds since the combine. He now weighs 298 pounds and ran a much quicker 5.01, beating his combine time by .24. He also lifted 225# 36 times.

If he's improved his quickness as much as his straight-line speed, he could be a fantastic LDE in a 3-4. Regardless, the Bengals can kiss him goodbye.

Mike Mayoch and Charles Davis claimed the real star of USC's Proday was Keith Rivers. Rivers was said to be outstanding in all of the drills, ran a 4.58, and stunned scouts with a 42" vertical leap.

It looks like it's between Rivers (LB) and Harvey (RDE) and Merling (LDE) at #9. I think DE is more vital (and harder to fill later in the draft) than LB. If we don't do better stopping the run and presurring the QB, Marvin is toast. We absolutely need a DT and DE, and could use an upgrade at OLB. Ergo, we'll get DT in the 2nd, and one or the other in the first.

Really, name 3 DE's available after the 2nd round that you'd be willing to go to war with. Jason Jones, EMU or Brian Johnston from Garner-Webb (school's are too small) or lazy Calais Campbell (maybe) or Harrington (Tex A&M)?

With WR becoming more of a priority, I think we'll plan to go DE - DT - LB and then BPA, knowing this draft is very deep at RB, WR, DB, and OL.

I'm sure Rivers will make a very good pro. I don't believe the difference between him and the 7th rated LB is as great as between Harvey or Merling and the 9th DE (remember, 2 are already gone).

Extra picks would sure help out !!! :whistling:

It looks like it's between Rivers (LB) and Harvey (RDE) and Merling (LDE) at #9.

I would think Merling's sport hernia rules him out at 9. If they are comfortable moving Geathers into a LB role, Harvey makes sense. Otherwise, pull the trigger on Rivers.

There was a nice recap of USC's ProDay in todays Los Angeles Daily News. Not much new other than a note that Chauncy Washington was actually timed at 4.30 and 4.35 in the 40. That's cooking. However, at the very end of the article this caught my eye.

[Pete] Caroll became angry when the NFL coaches put Ellis, Lawrence Jackson, and Morrow through a "handfighting" drill with Kansas City assistant Tim Krumrie. The players had to knock Krumrie's arms off themselves until thy almost dropped from exhaustion.

"I'm still light-headed," Ellis said.

Carroll expressed his displeasure with the coaches.

"That won't happen again here," he said.

There was a nice recap of USC's ProDay in todays Los Angeles Daily News. Not much new other than a note that Chauncy Washington was actually timed at 4.30 and 4.35 in the 40. That's cooking. However, at the very end of the article this caught my eye.

[Pete] Caroll became angry when the NFL coaches put Ellis, Lawrence Jackson, and Morrow through a "handfighting" drill with Kansas City assistant Tim Krumrie. The players had to knock Krumrie's arms off themselves until thy almost dropped from exhaustion.

"I'm still light-headed," Ellis said.

Carroll expressed his displeasure with the coaches.

"That won't happen again here," he said.

Hair, what's your take on Washington? It seems like he's been swept under the rug a little as far as being a USC RB prospect. Has he done anything wrong?

Hair, what's your take on Washington? It seems like he's been swept under the rug a little as far as being a USC RB prospect. Has he done anything wrong?

No, he hasn't done anything wrong. In fact, I think of him as USC's version of Rudi Johnson. That being, a solid productive player the team is always attempting to replace with someone flashier and more explosive. For example, USC began last season with almost a dozen RB's on their roster and they were hoping Joe McKnight would immediately become the next great Trojan tailback. Washington was almost an afterthought. But despite having as much big play ability as anyone in the country McKnight just wasn't ready, and the team had to turn once again to the steadier and more consistent Washington.

Obviously Washington has far better speed than most scouts had predicted, but that mistake was probably due to Washington's lack of wiggle and between the tackles running style. Plus, he's rarely used in the passing game. But again, if you're looking for a backup straight line power back with better than average speed he fits the profile.

No, he hasn't done anything wrong. In fact, I think of him as USC's version of Rudi Johnson. That being, a solid productive player the team is always attempting to replace with someone flashier and more explosive. For example, USC began last season with almost a dozen RB's on their roster and they were hoping Joe McKnight would immediately become the next great Trojan tailback. Washington was almost an afterthought. But despite having as much big play ability as anyone in the country McKnight just wasn't ready, and the team had to turn once again to the steadier and more consistent Washington.

Obviously Washington has far better speed than most scouts had predicted, but that mistake was probably due to Washington's lack of wiggle and between the tackles running style. Plus, he's rarely used in the passing game. But again, if you're looking for a backup straight line power back with better than average speed he fits the profile.

USC fan here, and I can promise you that Chauncey Washington blows. He's an idiot who could never stay academically eligible, and only got the bulk of the carries last year because Pete's loyal to a fault. He occasionally has flashes of good running, but for the most part he's very inconsistent, goes down easy, needs to get a full head of steam to break any tackles, and needs a wide open cutback lane to get any huge gains. There was a point last year when Stafon Johnson practically had the same number of yards as Chauncey on half as many carries, and if Stafon and CJ Gable weren't both injured last year Chauncey would've seen significantly less playing time. He was lazy at USC but stands a chance if he ever develops any kind of work ethic.

Thomas Williams was a little bit of an underachiever as he was All-American coming out of high school, but he's still a fairly good player, hard worker, and at the worst should end up being a good special teams guy. Sedrick's obviously the real deal, and Keith may never be the best linebacker in the league but he should be very solid for years to come. FWIW, other than Keith, Sedrick, and Chilo I'm not really a fan of any of the SC guys in the draft this year.

USC fan here, and I can promise you that Chauncey Washington blows.

I don't call myself a USC fan, and I'd normally defer to anyone who claims to be a diehard fan of a team I follow only casually. But saying a player blows after he's gained more than 1,700 yards rushing and scored more than 21 TD's in two seasons seems unduly harsh, especially when that player isn't being considered as anything more than a potential backup who could be had in the 4th round or later.

He occasionally has flashes of good running, but for the most part he's very inconsistent, goes down easy, needs to get a full head of steam to break any tackles, and needs a wide open cutback lane to get any huge gains.

I don't disagree entirely. As a power back Washington hasn't shown a consistent ability to break tackles, and for a player with his speed hasn't shown the ability to consistently gain the edge. But again, he's been far more consistent/durable than each of the so-called more explosive RB's the Trojans have looked to as replacements, a storyline any Bengal fan should be familiar with.

There was a point last year when Stafon Johnson practically had the same number of yards as Chauncey on half as many carries, and if Stafon and CJ Gable weren't both injured last year Chauncey would've seen significantly less playing time.

Yeah, and if Rudi Johnson, Chris Perry, and Kenny Irons were healthy the Bengals running game last season might have looked much different. Instead, the starting RB role was handed to Kenny Watson, just as the Trojans starting RB role was handed to Washington. To then argue that those players aren't as good as the players they replaced may be true, but ultimately....so what? Rather than saying a player like Washington "blows" isn't it more accurate to judge him on what he was able to do when all of the other options proved they were either unready to assume the starting RB role or were simply unavailable?

Thomas Williams was a little bit of an underachiever as he was All-American coming out of high school, but he's still a fairly good player, hard worker, and at the worst should end up being a good special teams guy.

I think he can be more than that...although it will take a few years before he challenges for a starting job in the NFL. But I think he qualifies as a true draft "sleeper" and I think many people will be suprised when they see him selected before several well known long time college starters.

Perhaps it was harsh of me to say that Chauncey blows (I'm sorry Chauncey), but he was just an extremely frustrating player to watch. He ran with passion on only a select number of runs, frequently p***yfooted while getting to the hole, and definitely never showed any determination to ever make something out of nothing, as he was guaranteed to go down if there wasn't a sizeable gap to run through. Yes, his overall stats are all well and good but they are of course deceiving as he had high totals against weaker run defenses, and often one long run would bring his average to a respectable total. I mean it's not like he's the worst running back of all time, if you give him enough carries he's bound to eventually do something right. It was just really annoying to see him always get the majority of carries no matter how badly he played nor how well anyone else played. So I'll admit my bias against Chauncey Washington, and leave on the note that if the spirit of Marion Barber jumped into Chauncey Washington, he could be a very serviceable player (he has the physical ability). Anyway while we're on the Pac-10 prowl, LB Spencer Larsen from Arizona is a player that was really productive and would maybe be worth a look if he falls far enough.

So I'll admit my bias against Chauncey Washington, and leave on the note that if the spirit of Marion Barber jumped into Chauncey Washington, he could be a very serviceable player (he has the physical ability).

On the NFL Network coverage of USC's ProDay Charls Davis said he had spoken to several NFL scouts and all were impressed by the fact that Washington had managed to run back to back 40's in the 4.3 range AFTER putting on considerable weight. Davis claimed the scouts were unanimous in their belief that not only was Washington smart to add size, as it hadn't cost him any speed, but would be well served by adding more weight, thereby commiting himself fully to becoming a true power back.

I agree.

In short, he'll never be a scatback because he's too stiff and lacks the vision of big play runners, but better power would allow him to work between the tackles more effectively...which seems to be what he does best.

So I'll admit my bias against Chauncey Washington, and leave on the note that if the spirit of Marion Barber jumped into Chauncey Washington, he could be a very serviceable player (he has the physical ability).

On the NFL Network coverage of USC's ProDay Charls Davis said he had spoken to several NFL scouts and all were impressed by the fact that Washington had managed to run back to back 40's in the 4.3 range AFTER putting on considerable weight. Davis claimed the scouts were unanimous in their belief that not only was Washington smart to add size, as it hadn't cost him any speed, but would be well served by adding more weight, thereby commiting himself fully to becoming a true power back.

I agree.

In short, he'll never be a scatback because he's too stiff and lacks the vision of big play runners, but better power would allow him to work between the tackles more effectively...which seems to be what he does best.

In a "me-too" class of draftable running backs, I do not consider Washngton as a prospect who has done a single thing to elevate him at the position. There are just too many very good RB's who do more than him, better to warrant discussion of him as a possible selection. There are 10 RB's I would take before Washington. This is before we get into the "desire" and "toughness" elements of his make-up. All the talk of him being another "Rudi" type back is not much of a selling point.

If you want a big, between the tackles guy who can break off a long run, take Alley Broussard as an undrafted FA and save an acutal draft pick for defense.

In a "me-too" class of draftable running backs, I do not consider Washngton as a prospect who has done a single thing to elevate him at the position.

You mean he's done nothing to elevate himself besides running back to back 4.3's, right?

There are just too many very good RB's who do more than him, better to warrant discussion of him as a possible selection.

So you wouldn't consider him if he were available in the 4th or 5th round? Because that's where I always see him projected to go.

There are 10 RB's I would take before Washington.

So what? PFW has him listed as the 17th best RB, and I don't have any complaint with their rankings. A better question might be which running backs you think are decidedly better who are also likely to be available in the 4th or 5th round? Frankly, I wouldn't mind it a bit if the Bengals delay drafting a RB until other needs are filled, and if they do then players like Washington could be the best options still available.

All the talk of him being another "Rudi" type back is not much of a selling point.

Does Rudi still hold the franchise rushing record?

In a "me-too" class of draftable running backs, I do not consider Washngton as a prospect who has done a single thing to elevate him at the position.

You mean he's done nothing to elevate himself besides running back to back 4.3's, right?

Nope, and as you conveniently note below, that stat didn't matter much to most of the draft guru's and their rankings. I watched USC most weekend and he certainly did not imrpess me with his overall play during the year. BersMrnsT has it pretty nailed. What has been left off is that USC had a monumental OL again last year...he was just not all that.

There are just too many very good RB's who do more than him, better to warrant discussion of him as a possible selection.
So you wouldn't consider him if he were available in the 4th or 5th round? Because that's where I always see him projected to go.

Nope, would rather have Tony Temple, Pinnix, Parmele, all of whom we can snag from r4-6...or a guy like Alley Broussard as a free agent for banging between the tackles.

There are 10 RB's I would take before Washington.
So what? PFW has him listed as the 17th best RB, and I don't have any complaint with their rankings. A better question might be which running backs you think are decidedly better who are also likely to be available in the 4th or 5th round? Frankly, I wouldn't mind it a bit if the Bengals delay drafting a RB until other needs are filled, and if they do then players like Washington could be the best options still available.

see above...I agree about delaying taking an RB but simply think his timed pro day speed, so far his only measurable of note, is not a good indicator of his viability to be a decent pro or work in the Bengals scheme where a "franchise best" runner like Rudi cannot get decent YPC.

All the talk of him being another "Rudi" type back is not much of a selling point.
Does Rudi still hold the franchise rushing record?

Yes. But you leave off serious qualifiers like:

Was this "record" achieved when the line was substantially different in effectiveness than it is now? Yes.

Does our current "franchise running record" holder currently have limited and clearly diminishing skills? Yes.

Would another "Rudi" type back stand to improve the run game in its current form above our current "Rudi"? maybe... but why pimp a guy who's only notable s running two sub 4.4's when clearly better prospects with more skills can be had in the same range??

Here is PFW's take on Washington:

"USC’s Chauncey Washington was running harder early in the fall after dropping 20 pounds, but since he failed to pick up tough yardage in four short-yardage situations vs. Stanford, he was benched and has fallen out of favor."

Wow, sounds like Rudi. pass.

If you want a big, between the tackles guy who can break off a long run, take Alley Broussard as an undrafted FA and save an acutal draft pick for defense.

I though Alley blew out a knee, dropping his 40 time to north of 4.7? He's a ton, though...

:weightlift:

Nope, and as you conveniently note below, that stat didn't matter much to most of the draft guru's and their rankings. I watched USC most weekend and he certainly did not imrpess me with his overall play during the year. BersMrnsT has it pretty nailed.

Well, if you ignore the silly remark about Washington "blowing" I don't think BersMrnsT is saying anything that I'm not saying as well. It mostly boils down to the things I wrote about in my first post about Washington. He frustrated USC fans for exactly the same reasons Rudi Johnson has frustrated many Bengal fans. And just like we've seen in Cincinnati, Trojan fans constantly complained about a player the coaching staff picked as the best option while arguing that players who couldn't get out of the whirlpool tub were significant upgrades.

What has been left off is that USC had a monumental OL again last year...he was just not all that.

If you watched USC as much as you claimed you'd be aware last season was a down year for USC's O-Line in terms of pure talent, and several of their most important players, including OLT Sam Baker, suffered nagging injuries that either cost them playing time or effectiveness. Individually or as a group they were hardly monumental.

There are just too many very good RB's who do more than him, better to

Nope, would rather have Tony Temple, Pinnix, Parmele, all of whom we can snag from r4-6...or a guy like Alley Broussard as a free agent for banging between the tackles.

((Shrug)) There isn't a late-round back you can name who doesn't have warts as ugly as Washington.

...I agree about delaying taking an RB but simply think his timed pro day speed, so far his only measurable of note, is not a good indicator of his viability to be a decent pro or work in the Bengals scheme where a "franchise best" runner like Rudi cannot get decent YPC.

Define decent pro? Aren't we talking about a mid-to-late round draft prospect who wouldn't be selected to be a starter? Aren't we talking about a prospect whose size and speed package make him more likely to stick on an NFL roster than some UDFA whose greatest asset is based upon the consensus belief that he isn't worthy of being drafted at all, and thus doesn't cost the team a draft pick?

I though Alley blew out a knee, dropping his 40 time to north of 4.7?

It doesn't seem like Kingwilly cares very much about speed or durability.

that is funny.

as background, Broussard hurt his knee back in 05...lost his "love" of the game, transferred to nw directional state u and has been in a minor program trying to graduate. Watch the video of him at LSU where he was the select back in front of addai and tell me how that would look in stripes. I tossed him out there only as comparitive value rationalization with Washington, a guy who, despite a very good line and a member of one of the best teams in the country, could not muster the grit to "run tough" and has had his overall motivation questioned by many and whose only blip of mention for the draft has been that he has surprised folks with a sub 4.5 40...4.42/.43...which, btw, strikes me as funnny as to how "surprised" they were. If they thought he was that fast, it would have shown in game film or would have been an expectation, not a big surprise. Sonds to me like he "got religion" and knew he needed to pop a good time so as to have any shot at a pro career.

Broussard, from what I read runs in the 4.5's and plays faster. at 235-250, that is pretty serious mass hitting a hole. he will probably not be drafted but could be an interesting prospect, given his size and pedigree. why burn a pick to reach for Washington??? sounds like an offensive version of Frostee.

but....you miss my point entirely. I concede speed is important. I concede durability is important. What must not get lost is that there are plenty of proven, highly skilled guys who's overall grit and motivation are not at question like Washington's.

Overall, if getting a starting RB was a priority (like if Rudi were already released, Irons was done, Perry was released and Watson had an injury...which all could become reality) looking for value in a Washinton or Broussard or other is a bad appraoch. Targeting Choice, Ray Rice, Stweart or someone in the r1-late r2 range would be my preference.

Well, if you ignore the silly remark about Washington "blowing" I don't think BersMrnsT is saying anything that I'm not saying as well. It mostly boils down to the things I wrote about in my first post about Washington. He frustrated USC fans for exactly the same reasons Rudi Johnson has frustrated many Bengal fans. And just like we've seen in Cincinnati, Trojan fans constantly complained about a player the coaching staff picked as the best option while arguing that players who couldn't get out of the whirlpool tub were significant upgrades.

Like I said, another Rudi (in current form)...how is that an upgrade

If you watched USC as much as you claimed you'd be aware last season was a down year for USC's O-Line in terms of pure talent, and several of their most important players, including OLT Sam Baker, suffered nagging injuries that either cost them playing time or effectiveness. Individually or as a group they were hardly monumental.

but I'm not talking "pure talent"...in terms of pure talent...yes. in effectivenss, overcoming injuries and as a unit, they were damn good. perhaps monumental was overly-superlative. let's try among the best in the PAC-10. Washington had a line that, had he possessed the overall grit and toughness, could have been tossed around as a Day 1 RB, maybe more.

((Shrug)) There isn't a late-round back you can name who doesn't have warts as ugly as Washington.

Tony Temple. what warts?

Define decent pro? Aren't we talking about a mid-to-late round draft prospect who wouldn't be selected to be a starter? Aren't we talking about a prospect whose size and speed package make him more likely to stick on an NFL roster than some UDFA whose greatest asset is based upon the consensus belief that he isn't worthy of being drafted at all, and thus doesn't cost the team a draft pick?

I'd call Watson a decent pro. I'd call Chester Taloylor a decent pro+. I would not project Washington to be on their level or worthy of an r3-4 pick.

that is funny.

as background, Broussard hurt his knee back in 05...lost his "love" of the game, transferred to nw directional state u and has been in a minor program trying to graduate.

So Washington lacks grit, but as an alternative you'll pimp a player who could be timed with a sundial, won't be drafted, and has no love for the game. Sorry, I'm unimpressed.

I tossed him out there only as comparitive value rationalization with Washington, a guy who, despite a very good line and a member of one of the best teams in the country, could not muster the grit to "run tough" and has had his overall motivation questioned by many and whose only blip of mention for the draft has been that he has surprised folks with a sub 4.5 40...

First, Washington was said to have run back-to-back 4.37's. Second, he was considered draft worthy even before his ProDay. For example, the PFW ranking that you quoted earlier projected Washington to be selected somewhere in the 4th or 5th round.....higher than any of the players you mentioned. And just for the record, that ranking was determined long before Washington's ProDay.

...which, btw, strikes me as funnny as to how "surprised" they were. If they thought he was that fast, it would have shown in game film or would have been an expectation, not a big surprise. Sonds to me like he "got religion" and knew he needed to pop a good time so as to have any shot at a pro career.

Pete Carrol was interviewed after USC's Proday and praised his "competitive speed" noting how rarely Washington was caught from behind on breakaway runs. Left unsaid was why washington produced so few of those types of plays. But again, I see him as a between the tackles runner with above average speed who would be well served to gain size and power, not as a wiggly scatback.

Broussard, from what I read runs in the 4.5's and plays faster. at 235-250, that is pretty serious mass hitting a hole. he will probably not be drafted but could be an interesting prospect, given his size and pedigree.

You seem to be suggesting all 32 NFL teams are going to ignore Superman in the draft. So why should I do any different?

why burn a pick to reach for Washington???

Whose suggesting any team will reach for him? The PFW scouting report you quoted projects Washington as a 4th or 5th rounder. Frankly, I haven't pimped the guy but I haven't yet heard a valid reason why a team shouldn't consider Washington in that range.

I'd call Watson a decent pro. I'd call Chester Taloylor a decent pro+. I would not project Washington to be on their level or worthy of an r3-4 pick.

Well, who besides you is projecting Washington for the 3rd round? The very same player evaluation you quoted projects Washington as a late 4th/ 5th round prospect, and you've repeatedly stated that Washington's Proday performance won't impact his draft stock.

Let's look at it this way. If the Bengals haven't drafted a RB prior to their 5th round pick, and Washington were available, why shouldn't he be on their short list?

Just saying...

Well, who besides you is projecting Washington for the 3rd round? The very same player evaluation you quoted projects Washington as a late 4th/ 5th round prospect, and you've repeatedly stated that Washington's Proday performance won't impact his draft stock.

Let's look at it this way. If the Bengals haven't drafted a RB prior to their 5th round pick, and Washington were available, why shouldn't he be on their short list?

Just saying...

Pardon me, I miswrote the r3-4 portion. To your point, if he was there in r6 and we had not gone RB yet, then it would merit discussion and a hard look at what needs have been addressed. I have been clear on my impressions of his downsides but I hear what you are saying.

To your point, if he was there in r6 and we had not gone RB yet, then it would merit discussion and a hard look at what needs have been addressed.

I'd be willing to consider Washington prior to that, perhps as early as the 4th round depending upon what other players were available, but the 5th round is more likely. And forgive me for saying it again, but at that point I'm willing to consider any 218 lb. tailback capable of ripping off a 4.37.

Back on topic, this from pro football weekly today...

New England

April 11, 2008

Patriots zeroing in on DT Ellis

With one of the most loaded defensive lines in the NFL, it would seem odd for the Patriots to pick up yet another defensive lineman with the seventh pick in the draft. But a source close to the club said the Pats are taking a hard look at USC DT Sedrick Ellis. Ellis has been one of the fastest-rising prospects since the end of the season — a strong, quick player who could conceivably man any of the three down lineman positions in the 3-4 defense. One of the biggest reasons for the interest is the belief that the personnel on the now-dominant line will be shifting in two years. The contracts of both DE Richard Seymour and NT Vince Wilfork are up after the 2009 season, and it’s likely the Pats won’t be able to re-sign both. Seymour, specifically, has reason to doubt his future with the team. Injuries have taken a toll on him, and the Pats will be reluctant to spend top dollar on a guy with injury baggage. Wilfork, perhaps the most talented nose tackle in the game today who’s only now entering the prime of his career, is critical to the Pats' future, but will require a megadeal to keep around. The situation couldn’t be more different than the situation with DLE Ty Warren, whose extension a season ago was considered team-friendly. Ellis is by no means a lock to be around by the seventh pick as Oakland at No. 4 and Kansas City at No. 5 are interested in him, but if he is around and the Pats are unable to trade down, look for him to be the pick.

Back on topic, this from pro football weekly today...

New England

April 11, 2008

Patriots zeroing in on DT Ellis

With one of the most loaded defensive lines in the NFL, it would seem odd for the Patriots to pick up yet another defensive lineman with the seventh pick in the draft. But a source close to the club said the Pats are taking a hard look at USC DT Sedrick Ellis.

Bill Belichick - the master of smoke & mirrors (and video tape)