HairBrained Mock V.2

HairOnFire

Because it's not fair if I make fun of yours without giving you a chance to make fun of mine. :lol:

I tried to stay consistent to the things I've said in all of the draft threads. Specifically, I'm looking for defense early, help for the running game in the mid rounds, interior offensive lineman over tackles, an upgrade in all phases of the kick return games, a wideout, and a strong emphasis on prospects who not only have athletic upside but more importantly...have reputations for leadership, hard work, and high character.

Finally, because there's always discussion about whether or not a player might be a reach or unavailable at the spots selected I included the players value ranking as determined by DraftScouts. Furthermore, I deliberately handcuffed myself by limiting my options to selecting only prospects whose DraftScout ranking was equal to or lower than the Bengals draft position in each round. For example, if a prospect was ranked 45th best in DraftScouts player ranking I refused to consider him for the 46th pick...treating him as if he had already been drafted.

Enjoy.

1st round - WOLB - Keith Rivers, USC - Save the complaints because I'm not listening. If Sedric Ellis doesn't fall to the Bengals, and it says here he doesn't, then this is the pick. Rivers has more athletic potential than most here will admit, great instincts, is an outstanding worker, and is high character player who has experience playing all three LB roles. And if he's not what you want at #9 it's fair to say he may be what you need more than you're willing to admit. (DraftScout 9th Ranked)

2nd round - DT/LDE - Trevor Laws, Notre Dame - He could be gone by the time this pick rolls around, but he's a perfect vaue fit according to DraftScout, (46th ranked) Slides immediately into same inside/outside role now occupied by DT John Thornton. Active and disruptive he only lacks the outstanding pass rushing skills as the two elite prospects.

3rd Round - FS/CB - DaJaun Morgan, North Carolina State - A better pure athlete than the player he'd replace, Madieu Williams, Morgan is less experienced and may take a little time to develope, but it's that inexperience that could cause Morgan to drop into the upper reaches of the 3rd round. (DraftScout 79th Ranked)

3rd Round - RB - Kevin Smith, Central Florida - Instinctive gliding RB with outstanding vision and ability to work between the tackles, a must for any Bengal runner. Gained nearly 2,600 yards as a senior...and scored 30 times...leading all college runners. Put together back-to-back 4.47's at his ProDay despite adding 7-10 lbs. (DraftScout 98th ranked)

4th round - WR/PR - Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State - Provides a much needed upgrade in the return game, and some insurance if slot WR TJ Houshmandzadeh leaves in free agency. Smaller slot option in the mold of Peter Warrick & Antonio Chatman. Has jaw dropping speed and quickness, having been clocked as low as 4.33 in the 40. High character team leader with outstanding work ethic. (DraftScout 112th ranked)

5th round - OG/OG - Doug Legursky, Marshall - Rising prospect. The 4th rated center on some boards due to having better size (6'3", 312) than more well known prospects. Rimington Award nominee. Has experience playing all OL positions but extensive experience at the pivot. Brutally strong, lifted 225 36 times during his ProDay. Boasts the power and size that current starter Eric Ghiacuic lacks. Has experience as a long snapper. (DraftScout 146th ranked)

6th round - TE - Craig Stevens, California - The best blocking TE in the draft. Has decent underdeveloped ability to catch the ball, but isn't a threat to make plays downfield. Would compliment and bookend Ben Utecht, perhaps replacing Reggie Kelly next season. (DraftScout 177th ranked)

6th round - SS - Dominique Barber, Minnesota - Somewhat athletically limited, but brings a physical in-the-box presence. Adds depth, and special team ability. (DraftScout 214th ranked)

7th round - (Traded- Fitzgerald)

7th round - KR/PR - Kevin Robinson, Utah State - Would go undrafted based upon his ability as a WR, but some team will probaby take a late round flyer on Robinson due to his return ability. In fact, I wonder if this slot is high enough to get the job done. (DraftScout 249th ranked)

7th round - DE - Chase Ortiz, TCU - Undersized athletically limited overacheiver. High motor prospect whose senior production fell off the table and should cause a drop into the late rounds. Might have a role as a designated pass rusher, but selected here soley as BPA who could find a spot on special teams. (DraftScout 244th ranked)

Not bad. Covers all the bases. Like the Legursky pick solely if it enables us to part with Brad St. Choker. And Stevens slides nicely into the vacated TE spot. I might go with a OT prospect instead of DE at the end, but either way the guy will have practice squad written all over him.

you lost me at rivers.

.....ugh. Rivers? 9 is too high. Comparing him to recent highly picked LB's, he is not a Hawk, Willis or Sims. I'd prefer to trade out of 9 instead of taking Rivers.

The draft is pretty deep at LB...can snag a very good one late day 1.

I don't really like the Laws pick either. He is Thornton 2.0. Too small to be effective handling his gap in the AFC North, like Thornton. Can't get ot the QB, like Thornton.

I do like the Morgan and Smith picks. I had my eye on Smith, watching him play on TV a few times last season. He reminds me of a young Edgerrin James.

If the draft went your way to here, I would prefer burn r6 on a prospect at T and at WR than TE and SS. We are solid at TE and with Morgan have many safeties, no less than 8 listed on bengals.com. This pick could be used better on a WR or even a CB.

With the ....................pick in each round, the Cincinnati Bengals select.....

1. Derrick Harvey DE, Florida - Guessing that Ellis and Dorsey are gone, and knowing that i can add an offensive tackle later. Harvey is the last talent worthy of a top ten selection. - Carolina offers our best chance at trading down and grabbing another player in the mid-teens. - Harvey has a great first step, a natural pass rusher, and would contribute immediately on third down putting 3 pass rusher on the field at one time.( Odom,Geathers,& Harvey.)

2. Pat Sims DT, Auburn - This is a stud. He will be quickly make us forget that we missed out on Dorsey and Ellis. Not a great pass rusher, but he does collapse the pocket. He'll have to be double teamed because of his low center of gravity, quickness and strength on every play.

3(a) Roy Schuening G, Oregon State - Probably one of the most sound offensive lineman in this draft. Great at locking onto defensive lineman in the run and pass game.

3(B) Geno Hayes OLB, Florida State - Grabbing him here gives us a full year to develop him into a starter next year. He's an underclassmen that is still improving. In a year he'll be our starting weakside linebacker. He's also a playmaker and a thumper.

4. Simeon Castille FS/CB, Alabama - Castille is adept at playing safety, and cornerback. He's got the athleticism to play corner and the instincts to play the deep middle of the field. He's an immediate improvement over DazeJones and should push to start at Free or the nickel corner spot.

5. King Dunlap OT, Auburn - He's 6'8 310 lbs. If anyone gets him to play hard like he did when he was a sophomore and Junior at Auburn , then' he's possibly another Johnathan Ogden. He's a natural left tackle both in footwork and competitiveness.

6(a) Jeremy Leman ILB, Illinois - He's an instinctive linebacker. Makes plays all over the field by being a " smarter than you" type of player. He's a bigger version of Zach Thomas. A born leader, and a high character guy. - Also won't spend his career on the IR, like Caleb Miller.

6(B) Arman Shields WR, Richmond - Considering our lack of depth and the hit our return game took with the loss of Tab Perry. Shields will excel as a special teamer and should push his way to a # 4 spot. The thing you gotta like about him is his great hands. Only reason why he falls is because of the knee injury that cost him most of his senior year. - When Healthy, he could be a Troy Brown type of player.

7(a) Adam Spieker C, Missouri - Rich Braham period. Only thing he's missing is the strength.

7(B) Allen Patrick RB, Oklahoma - Not sure if he's a long term solution, but I do know that before his knee injury, he was a very instinctive runner that has good vision and balance. One thing is for certain;He'll answer the question, "Can Chris Perry be hurt all 5 years ?"

you lost me at rivers.

I assumed I'd lose plenty of people with that pick. That being, everyone who would rather move up, move down, or would rather draft a player who doesn't play a position of need. Instead, I stayed put...as I believe the Bengals will do...and drafted a player that will be a solid starter for the next 6/10 years.

.....ugh. Rivers? 9 is too high.

He's rated the 9th best player in the draft by DraftScouts, and is projected to go 9th or 10th in more mock drafts than I feel like counting. So I say he belongs.

I don't really like the Laws pick either. He is Thornton 2.0. Too small to be effective handling his gap in the AFC North, like Thornton. Can't get ot the QB, like Thornton.

My biggest concern regarding Trevor Laws is if he'll be available at $46, not if he'd be effective if used correctly. After all, Laws played in a scheme that didn't suit his talents last season and still managed to be the only DT in college football to produce 100 combined tackles. As for his pass rush ability, I acknowledge he's not considered one of the best yet he managed to produce 12 sacks in his college career. By comparison, Glenn Dorsey produced 13.

I do like the Morgan and Smith picks. I had my eye on Smith, watching him play on TV a few times last season. He reminds me of a young Edgerrin James.

Like I said at the top of the mock, I attempted to make picks that stayed true to the various opinions and draft strategies I offered in countless draft threads to date....including my belief the Bengals can get a quality RB outside of the 1st round. This time I picked Smith but I could very easily have selected Matt Forte' or Tashard Choice.

If the draft went your way to here, I would prefer burn r6 on a prospect at T and at WR than TE and SS. We are solid at TE and with Morgan have many safeties, no less than 8 listed on bengals.com. This pick could be used better on a WR or even a CB.

I selected Stevens both because I don't like Daniel Coates nearly as much as everyone else seems to, and because I fear Reggie Kelly is not only slipping, but close to retiring. If true, I'd like to see a player groomed for a year before being asked to fill his shoes. It's also fair to say that the Stevens pick is made with the running game in mind, and I think a young blocking TE could contribute more and faster than yet another backup OT would. As for preferring a CB over another S, yeah....I agree. Sadly, I didn't like the remaining options. And finally, I didn't see the need for another WR after adding Dexter Jackson in the 4th, and Kevin Robinson in the 7th. Robinson will probably never be a real factor in any teams passing game, but Jackson is good enough to assume the slot role if TJ leaves in FA.

My thread....my turn.

1. Derrick Harvey DE, Florida - Guessing that Ellis and Dorsey are gone, and knowing that i can add an offensive tackle later. Harvey is the last talent worthy of a top ten selection. - Carolina offers our best chance at trading down and grabbing another player in the mid-teens. - Harvey has a great first step, a natural pass rusher, and would contribute immediately on third down putting 3 pass rusher on the field at one time.( Odom,Geathers,& Harvey.)

I don't hate it. Nor do I love it....in part because the guy sounds dumber than a houseplant whenever I hear him interviewed. But what the heck, it's football.

2. Pat Sims DT, Auburn - This is a stud. He will be quickly make us forget that we missed out on Dorsey and Ellis. Not a great pass rusher, but he does collapse the pocket. He'll have to be double teamed because of his low center of gravity, quickness and strength on every play.

Since when do we describe fat people as studs? Sims is the opposite of Trevor Laws and that's not a good thing. Laws has a work ethic second to none while Sims is said to have a "sloppy" body that apparently "has never seen a weight room." (PFW)

3(a) Roy Schuening G, Oregon State - Probably one of the most sound offensive lineman in this draft. Great at locking onto defensive lineman in the run and pass game.

3(B) Geno Hayes OLB, Florida State - Grabbing him here gives us a full year to develop him into a starter next year. He's an underclassmen that is still improving. In a year he'll be our starting weakside linebacker. He's also a playmaker and a thumper.

4. Simeon Castille FS/CB, Alabama - Castille is adept at playing safety, and cornerback. He's got the athleticism to play corner and the instincts to play the deep middle of the field. He's an immediate improvement over DazeJones and should push to start at Free or the nickel corner spot.

Schuening is a very solid G prospect who lacks the agility to play anywhere but the right side. If that's acceptable he's a great choice because he's probably got the widest mean streak of any blocker in the draft. Not quite as sold on Geno Hayes, as he's from the same 220 lb LB mold the Bengals seem intent on leaving behind. He's also a character risk so he may not even be on their board. Castille is a solid prospect, but too much of a tweener for my liking....moving to FS because he lacked the speed to continue playing CB. But as a FS he has marginal size and very little experience.

5. King Dunlap OT, Auburn - He's 6'8 310 lbs. If anyone gets him to play hard like he did when he was a sophomore and Junior at Auburn , then' he's possibly another Johnathan Ogden. He's a natural left tackle both in footwork and competitiveness.

I think you'd be hard pressed to name a bigger "Boom or Bust" prospect in this draft.

6(a) Jeremy Leman ILB, Illinois - He's an instinctive linebacker. Makes plays all over the field by being a " smarter than you" type of player. He's a bigger version of Zach Thomas. A born leader, and a high character guy. - Also won't spend his career on the IR, like Caleb Miller.

No real complaints. I've wondered aloud whether he'd even be drafted, but you can always make a case for drafting guys like this late in the draft, if only for depth and special teams duty.

6(B) Arman Shields WR, Richmond - Considering our lack of depth and the hit our return game took with the loss of Tab Perry. Shields will excel as a special teamer and should push his way to a # 4 spot. The thing you gotta like about him is his great hands. Only reason why he falls is because of the knee injury that cost him most of his senior year. - When Healthy, he could be a Troy Brown type of player.

Quite honestly, I've never heard of him.

7(a) Adam Spieker C, Missouri - Rich Braham period. Only thing he's missing is the strength.

And Rich Braham without strength is what?

7(B) Allen Patrick RB, Oklahoma - Not sure if he's a long term solution, but I do know that before his knee injury, he was a very instinctive runner that has good vision and balance. One thing is for certain;He'll answer the question, "Can Chris Perry be hurt all 5 years ?"

The injury concerns are real, but he averaged almost 6 yards a pop as a senior so I've got my doubts he'll last this long.

My thread....my turn.

I couldn't wait for you to respond!! :lol::lol:

1.There are a bunch of guys that Cincinnati has worked out privately, but I just think Zimmer has a hard-on for this kid.

2.Pat Sims is going up, and I wouldn't be surprised if he goes into the bottom of the first. 6'2, 310 with long arms, but this kid offers more than Laws. Laws may be a high motor guy, but he's also maxxed out. In the End, you want to be able to draft guys that will be better pro's than they were at the college level. Sims will be solid either way, but he's got Pro-Bowl talent.

3.Not sure where you read Schuening could only play the right side. He was Oregon States best offensive lineman, and he was like their Steve Hutchinson. I'll admit he's not the most nimble of guys, but he does make blocks at the second level, and he is rarely ever beaten.

3- I'm looking at the Long Term with Hayes. I don't think his character is a problem considering he was one of the linebackers that supposedly interviewed really well according to ScoutsInc. - Drafting linebackers this year is kind of funny because we should be getting O'Dell, Brooks, Henderson back along with 2 free agents. So I took Hayes here as my gamble pick. Hayes has the potential on his small frame to add bulk, and keep his quickness. But he's a real linebacker in the O'Dell Thurman mold, that will make sure tackles and make some game changing turnovers as well.

4. I guess I'm higher on Castille than others. ( I'll except that ^_^ ) Living here in the SEC country, I got to see lots of Alabama games. All this kid does, is make plays. He didn't run well at the combine, but has run better in workouts. His footwork is bad, but he still shows the closing speed to make plays on the ball. I think he'll excel playing in the slot if he stays at corner. If he moves to Free Safety, He's a very good tackler with good instincts to make plays on the ball.

5. - Yes he's a boom or Bust player. With Stacey Andrews already signed for the year, I think it's worth a shot at this kid. Dunlap has the size and athleticism that won't drop further than this. All Cincy' has to do is turn this kids' light back on.

6 - Ditto on Leman. Gotta love linebackers with a mean streak. He's also got prototypical size for all 3 linebackers spots. He's also a classic overachiever.

6-Shields is a guy that I read up on last year. The thing that sticks out about him is, that he's a fearless receiver with catchers'-mits for hands. Every readup on the guy says the same thing.. " Catches every thing thrown at him". " Great at getting open". - Makes my draft every time.

7- Rich Braham minus the strength is Gutcheck.

7- Patrick is my "mock-draft" pick. Most mocks have him falling to the 7th round. But I still like his size, and shiftiness.

you lost me at rivers.

I assumed I'd lose plenty of people with that pick. That being, everyone who would rather move up, move down, or would rather draft a player who doesn't play a position of need. Instead, I stayed put...as I believe the Bengals will do...and drafted a player that will be a solid starter for the next 6/10 years.

Exactly. If the biggies are gone and the name called at 9 is Rivers, I won't be leaping up, pumping my fist in the air, and screaming a Howard Dean-like "Yeahhhh!!!" But I won't be tossing any bricks through the tube either. I'll just be checking off the will slot for the next decade or so, with the bonus that Rivers gets to learn from a consummate pro in Dhani Jones.

Because it's not fair if I make fun of yours without giving you a chance to make fun of mine.

Thanks, Hair. My Turn !!! :lol::lol:

1st round - WOLB - Keith Rivers, USC - As you know, I'm not sold on #55. That being said, he is universally being hailed as a top 15 prospect. My question: assuming Brooks is healthy and Thurman reinstated, we have those 2 at ILB and Henderson, Geathers, and a host of others at OLB. Depending on how new LB coach Fitzgerald rates the current players, I'm thinking they'll target LB later in the draft. Is this a need pick, BPA, or BDPA??? I'd rather have an RB or OT (BPA) if DTs and DEs are gone. After Harvey's pro day, I'd rather have him opposite Geathers as a DE/OLB than Rivers (need).

2nd round - DT/LDE - Trevor Laws, Notre Dame - Not to be contrary, but I prefer Dre Moore for UT and / or Albahtya Rubin for NG. Laws had a great senior bowl and combine, I'm just leery of Irish players (and before anyone pops off, my Dad was recruited by Elmer Layden (one of the 4 horsemen) and played for Frank Leahy 1941 - 43).

3rd Round - FS/CB - DaJaun Morgan, North Carolina State - Wow - super steal. 6 ft, 205 lbs, 4.44 forty, 21 reps - what's not to like?

3rd Round - RB - Kevin Smith, Central Florida - I'd prefer Choice or Forte if they're here. You say to-MA-to, I say to-mah-to. Still a good pick.

4th round - WR/PR - Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State - good returner, but at 5'09" and 180 lbs, may be too light for Marvin's tastes - Donnie Avery is bigger.

5th round - OG/OG - Doug Legursky, Marshall - A rock. Started every game of his college career.

6th round - TE - Craig Stevens, California - Another steal - how does a 'blocking' tight end run a 4.6?

6th round - SS - Dominique Barber, Minnesota - Marion's brother - trade him to the Cow-girls.

7th round - (Traded- Fitzgerald)

7th round - KR/PR - Kevin Robinson, Utah State - Didn't he run a 4.8? At this point, anybody you like is okay.

7th round - DE - Chase Ortiz, TCU - another slow guy - whatever

Overall - a draft that will be graded well by many 'experts', but I'd find it disappointing. I want more impact at the top, more steals in the middle, and more speed at the bottom.

C+

change the top pick or trade down, it could rise to an A- or B+

Thanks, Hair. My Turn !!! :lol::lol:

Indeed.

1st round - WOLB - Keith Rivers, USC - As you know, I'm not sold on #55. That being said, he is universally being hailed as a top 15 prospect. My question: assuming Brooks is healthy and Thurman reinstated, we have those 2 at ILB and Henderson, Geathers, and a host of others at OLB. Depending on how new LB coach Fitzgerald rates the current players, I'm thinking they'll target LB later in the draft. Is this a need pick, BPA, or BDPA??? I'd rather have an RB or OT (BPA) if DTs and DEs are gone. After Harvey's pro day, I'd rather have him opposite Geathers as a DE/OLB than Rivers (need).

Well, this is where are paths always part as I have no problem whatsoever including Rivers in the BPA debate at #9. In fact, I like him better than Harvey, Clady, Otah, and Mendenhall. So if Ellis is off the board I turn quickly to Rivers.

2nd round - DT/LDE - Trevor Laws, Notre Dame - Not to be contrary, but I prefer Dre Moore for UT and / or Albahtya Rubin for NG. Laws had a great senior bowl and combine, I'm just leery of Irish players...

Yeah, Laws had a great Senior Bowl, a great combine, and a great season. In fact, it's fair to say he was the very best player on a major college program that has fallen on hard times. As for being leery of Irish players, you might be but the Bengals aren't. They drafted two of them last season, and are said to be very interested in at lest that many this year.

4th round - WR/PR - Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State - good returner, but at 5'09" and 180 lbs, may be too light for Marvin's tastes - Donnie Avery is bigger.

The Bengals have shown no reluctance to man the slot position with smaller faster players. (Yeast, Warrick, Chatman) And before you poin out the mixed results achived by that trio Jackson is faster, quicker, and more exposive than all of those players. Best, if things are worked out with both of the Bengals current starting WR Jackson would still have a valuable role to fill.

6th round - TE - Craig Stevens, California - Another steal - how does a 'blocking' tight end run a 4.6?

You're touching on one of the reasons I stated he had unrealized potential as pass catcher. Simply put, he has some skills but they haven't been fully developed or taken advantage of at Cal. So he's considered a block-first kind of guy...which I think is fair at this point. He's not thrown to very often and he drops too many when they do.

Overall - a draft that will be graded well by many 'experts', but I'd find it disappointing. I want more impact at the top, more steals in the middle, and more speed at the bottom.

IMHO you're not going to get many steals, if any at all, using the restrictive "handcuffs" I spoke about at the top of the mock. Which was exactly the point as I feel too many mocks are filled from top to bottom with picks that are unrealistic.....thereby making that type of mock exercise less than useless.

IMHO you're not going to get many steals, if any at all, using the restrictive "handcuffs" I spoke about at the top of the mock. Which was exactly the point as I feel too many mocks are filled from top to bottom with picks that are unrealistic.....thereby making that type of mock exercise less than useless.

Actually, that's been my major problem with the Bengals' drafts the last 5 years. They set up their board, and then are unable or unwilling to take advantage of a player that has slipped through the cracks. No spontaneity whatsoever. In such a deep draft as this one, it's essential that you grab players that are undervalued.

So if their board says "Round 2 is LB: Groves / Mayo / Lofton / Henderson / Avril", and Devin Thomas shows up at pick #46, TAKE THE BPA.

IMHO that's exactly why they always seem to take players 1/2 or a full round too early - they're inflexible