Prisco's skinny on the Bengals draft needs.

Cincinnati Bengals

The skinny: The top offseason priority has been to try and fix the defense. They added end Antwan Odom in free agency, and he will help. Now they need to get some help inside. That should be the focus in the early part of the draft. This is a big one for coach Marvin Lewis.

Primary need: Defensive tackle. They have to get somebody who can help choke off the run.

Secondary needs: Linebacker, safety and tight end.

Possible targets: USC defensive Sedrick Ellis, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey or USC linebacker Keith Rivers.

Summary: We know they can score on offense. But it's time they stopped people. The defense should be a focus for many of their picks. Lewis is a defensive coach and it has to be killing him that his isn't doing its part.

I'd say it's well past time the Bengals had a defense that stopped teams. A good defense that makes offenses go three and out gives the team momentum.

I know the hype on " best player available " , but I don't care if Keller, Davis, Bennett, Cottam , Carlson etc. etc.. are there in the 3rd round.....

Go Defense. I think the Utecht signing was probably our best free agent signing in the Marvin Lewis era.

Okay Okay..... If Carlson is there at # 97 (compensation pick)

Maybe? :D

It appears Prisco has some company in who Cincinnati picks at #1. From Footballs Future:

#9 Cincinnati - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

Dorsey slides a little and the Bengals could not be happier. Dorsey is an impact interior lineman and will help the Bengals immediately.

I'm firm in my belief that either Dorsey or Ellis will fall to us. :bengal:

It appears Prisco has some company in who Cincinnati picks at #1. From Footballs Future:

#9 Cincinnati - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU

Dorsey slides a little and the Bengals could not be happier. Dorsey is an impact interior lineman and will help the Bengals immediately.

I'm firm in my belief that either Dorsey or Ellis will fall to us. :bengal:

Funny thing is, that mock had Dorsey AND Ellis falling to #9, that would be a total mind bender, just imagine the chaos on the message boards over which DT to take.

Problem is we would probably take Mendenhall or some other O-player anyway...as these are dem bengals...

My concern is still the VERY GOOD possibility that New Orleans makes a trade and jumps us to take either Dorsey or Ellis should they fall to #8. Baltimore would be able to trade out of the spot, get someone they want a couple spots lower, and F*CK the Bengals all in one fatal blow. That right there is where I see a problem.

Once again, I would have absolutely no issues whatsoever in seeing the Bengals move up to ENSURE they get one of the top two DT's. I can't think of anything else that would make me happier (in regards to the draft) than getting either Dorsey or Ellis !!!

WHODEY !!!

I would have absolutely no issues whatsoever in seeing the Bengals move up to ENSURE they get one of the top two DT's.

You forget yourself, Sarge - it's the Bengals. It's conceivable that they trade up w/ the Pats for................... Haervey? Mendenhall? Ryan (Mr Wonderluc) freakin' Clady!

Although I, too, want Dorsey or Ellis, I don't want them enough to lose a 3rd (Pats) or a 2nd (KC). I'd rather have an EXTRA 2nd or 3rd and grab Moore or Sims or Laws in the 2nd or Rubin or Pressley or Balmer in the 3rd. We would then ALSO have an additional top player (OL, RB, WR, OLB, S).

IF THEY'RE GONE - TRADE DOWN !!!

Although I, too, want Dorsey or Ellis, I don't want them enough to lose a 3rd (Pats) or a 2nd (KC). I'd rather have an EXTRA 2nd or 3rd and grab Moore or Sims or Laws in the 2nd or Rubin or Pressley or Balmer in the 3rd. We would then ALSO have an additional top player (OL, RB, WR, OLB, S).

IF THEY'RE GONE - TRADE DOWN !!!

Yeah, put me in the group who says to stay where you are and see if one of those guys fall. If not, BE PREPARED to trade down ... even if it means building picks for next year as well.