Andrews agree on one-year deal

DDOGG

The Bengals signed G/OT Stacy Andrews, who was designated last month as the team’s franchise player, on Wednesday.

Andrews, who has played five years in the NFL, exercised his option to sign a one-year contract for a salary equal to the average of the top five offensive linemen in the NFL in 2007.

“We’re happy Stacy is signed in advance of our offseason work,” said head coach Marvin Lewis, “and this does not preclude our continuing to talk to Stacy and his representatives about reaching a longer-term agreement.”

An unusually gifted athlete for his size, Andrews was a nationally prominent track and field star at Ole Miss, but he had played very little football when the Bengals drafted him in the fourth round in 2004. He has progressed steadily during his NFL career, and last season he became a leading performer on the Bengals line.

He played in every game last season with 14 starts. He started Games 1-3 at LG, and later replaced injured Pro Bowler Willie Anderson at ROT, starting there in Games 5 and 7-16. He was a key contributor to the team’s record-low total of 17 sacks allowed. The Bengals ranked second in the NFL in fewest sacks allowed, just one off the pace of league leader New Orleans.

Good news, as far as it goes. I'm divided on the merits of a long-term deal at this point. On the plus side, it lessens the cap hit and he'll be cheaper sooner rather than later...on the flip side, I still harbor doubts whether Stacy is really-o-truly the answer at RT. Still, even if he's not he can play guard just fine, so it's probably time for the FO to bite the bullet here.

Glad to see him sign before the draft. Cincinnati should have no excuse why they haven't signed him long-term before the draft.

5 years, 30 million with 12.5 million guaranteed ???

2.5 base this year, 2.5 bonus

3.0 base in '09, 2.5 bonus

3.5 base in '10, 2.5 bonus

4.0 base in '11, 2.5 bonus

4.5 base in '12, 2.5 bonus

C'mon Stacy... Hire me as your agent ... 40% of the contract is guaranteed !! ^_^^_^:cheers::sure:

Good news, as far as it goes. I'm divided on the merits of a long-term deal at this point. On the plus side, it lessens the cap hit and he'll be cheaper sooner rather than later...on the flip side, I still harbor doubts whether Stacy is really-o-truly the answer at RT. Still, even if he's not he can play guard just fine, so it's probably time for the FO to bite the bullet here.

Hmmmmmm whitworth beat stacey out as LG,but think he could make it as a RG?I dunno I still think Whitworth should be the RT of the future.

Whitworth Held his own as a LT when Levi went down,yes he got his ass handed to him by Dwight freeney(who wouldn't as a rookie getting no help?) and Elvis somethingoranother (broncos) but outside of that He played awesome and I don't think he'd have any problem on the right side which he was always more suited for anyways rather then the left.

PS,I was happy to see Marvin call out guycheck hopefully he steps up or find someone who will....still wish we took Ryan Khalil last year.

Glad to see him sign before the draft. Cincinnati should have no excuse why they haven't signed him long-term before the draft.

I'm not very concerned with the timing as I think the Bengals have already accomplished most of their goals in free agency. Thus, there's no pressing need to free up cap space prior to the draft or for that matter immediately after it.

Frankly, all I expected out of free agency is two or three new starters being added, with an eye towards freeing up the draft. Odom and Utecht do that very well. So on that front I think they're done...or very close to it....which negates the need to have any long-term deal with Andrews completed prior to the draft.

That said, they need to get a long-term deal done eventually, and after Lewis admitted nearly a month ago how the two sides were very close in regards to money, well....it would be almost unforgivable if they didn't reach an agreement. They need the security of having Andrews locked up long-term and they probably need the cap room they'd gain for TJ's new deal.

I'm not very concerned with the timing as I think the Bengals have already accomplished most of their goals in free agency. Thus, there's no pressing need to free up cap space prior to the draft or for that matter immediately after it.

Frankly, all I expected out of free agency is two or three new starters being added, with an eye towards freeing up the draft. Odom and Utecht do that very well. So on that front I think they're done...or very close to it....which negates the need to have any long-term deal with Andrews completed prior to the draft.

That said, they need to get a long-term deal done eventually, and after Lewis admitted nearly a month ago how the two sides were very close in regards to money, well....it would be almost unforgivable if they didn't reach an agreement. They need the security of having Andrews locked up long-term and they probably need the cap room they'd gain for TJ's new deal.

Also, should the draft see us make a run at an r2-4 OL, it means Big Willie could end up that much more expendable if his health does become an issue again.

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

You're right, but there's still that little glimmer of hope that Cincy will trade down, add some extra picks which changes their cap hit because of the additional money that will be alotted for the additional draft picks.

- Thank you for reminding me that we don't have a real GM.......... time to go load the shot gun... Thanks a lot Hair, Thanks a lot... :unsure::unsure: