Chad's frustration has a name...

Spor_tees

According to a source for ESPN, Chad is all pissed off and is threatening to sit out the 2008 season because Marvin gave him the cold shoulder not long after the season started...

Source: Bengals' Johnson may sit out 2008 season if he's not traded

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: February 3, 2008, 12:07 PM ET

* Comment

* Email

* Print

Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson feels betrayed by head coach Marvin Lewis and is privately threatening to sit out the 2008 season if he isn't traded, according to a source.

Chad Johnson

Johnson

Johnson was upset after the coach quit speaking to his receiver early in the season, according to the source.

The Bengals star wideout has been making the rounds with the media at the Super Bowl. When asked on Jim Rome's radio show this week about whether or not he was happy with Bengals, Johnson sounded less than happy.

"I'm not allowed to say. I get the blame; the so-called best player, I'm the problem. Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down [and] stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can't function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement."

Lewis has said he won't trade Johnson, who finished with a single-season franchise-record 1,440 receiving yards. Johnson has had six consecutive seasons with at least 1,000 receiving yards and is under contract with the Bengals through 2011 after signing a $35.5 million extension in April 2006.

"Obviously, there is a lot of frustration with things that happened last year as it pertains to Chad," Johnson's agent, Drew Rosenhaus told The Cincinnati Enquirer.

Rosenhaus tried to explain his client's recent statements to the media.

"What Chad is doing [in the radio interviews] is expressing his emotions and frustration."

Chris Mortensen is an NFL analyst for ESPN. Information from the Associated Press was used in this report.

ESPN article

At what point could Chad buy himself of contract or is that not even a possibility? If he can't he won't sit out even a year. He only has a few years left. Unless he pulls a Barry Sanders then he'll play next year. IMO.

If Chad sits, the Bengals could make him stay out of football until his contract is over. With the extension he signed, the Bengals hold his rights until after the 2011 season. By that point no one would want him because he would have been out of football for too long and he would be too old. If Chad sits out on his own accord, he forfeits any money he would make from the contract...the only money he would make would be from doing television...and as most have seen, unless Chad has already scripted what he is going to say, he makes himself look worse than Emmitt Smith on camera. The Bengals really do have Chad by the balls. If Chad does decide to play and sand bag it, then his stats go down and so does the interest from other teams. So at this point, he just needs to come play, play well, and shut up.

At what point could Chad buy himself of contract or is that not even a possibility? If he can't he won't sit out even a year. He only has a few years left. Unless he pulls a Barry Sanders then he'll play next year. IMO.

If Chad sits, the Bengals could make him stay out of football until his contract is over. With the extension he signed, the Bengals hold his rights until after the 2011 season. By that point no one would want him because he would have been out of football for too long and he would be too old. If Chad sits out on his own accord, he forfeits any money he would make from the contract...the only money he would make would be from doing television...and as most have seen, unless Chad has already scripted what he is going to say, he makes himself look worse than Emmitt Smith on camera. The Bengals really do have Chad by the balls. If Chad does decide to play and sand bag it, then his stats go down and so does the interest from other teams. So at this point, he just needs to come play, play well, and shut up.

Thanks for the detailed reply Spor_tees. :sure: Well Rosenturd either has no control of the situation or he has gone bat s**t crazy. If he's after more money for Chad and himself, either by trade or renegotiation, then they haven't thought this one through.

I still think Chad plays next year and does well. If he wants to sit it out then SoP has the perfect demenour for the situation, IMO.

Just to clarify, if Chad sits out a year does he count against the Cap for that year?

We've discussed this ad nauseam', if Chad and his agent agree they can re-negotiate his contract to minimalize or eliminate the current cap hit the team would take if they traded him right now.

It's up to Chad/Rosenhaus to approach the bungles and ask to re-negotiate to pave the way for the trade they both seem to want so badly. <_<

i dont get how hes blaming marvin... i dont believe that until i get a quote or see him say it.

he complains about being misquoted a lot and anyone can be a "source" and say that s**t.

this seems like its jsut gonna be something that CJ will be crying about later

i dont get how hes blaming marvin... i dont believe that until i get a quote or see him say it.

he complains about being misquoted a lot and anyone can be a "source" and say that s**t.

this seems like its jsut gonna be something that CJ will be crying about later

This just seems like so much BS to me. Marvin and Chad are tight. I remember the game where #85 scored a TD, and jumped up onto the TV camera and got penalized. Marvin was giggling over it like a little girl. How could Chad have a problem with a HC that lets him get away with that s**t!?!

We've discussed this ad nauseam', if Chad and his agent agree they can re-negotiate his contract to minimalize or eliminate the current cap hit the team would take if they traded him right now.

It's up to Chad/Rosenhaus to approach the bungles and ask to re-negotiate to pave the way for the trade they both seem to want so badly. <_<

I wasn't asking that. Thanks for the input though.

Source: Bengals' Johnson may sit out 2008 season if he's not traded

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

"I'm not allowed to say. I get the blame; the so-called best player, I'm the problem. Someone in-house is spreading this. Maybe they want me to quiet down [and] stop being me. That is not going to happen. I can't function that way. I tried it. It sucked. There was no excitement."

Here is the issue with this line of reasoning for Chad:

If the Bengals asked you to "stop being you", they would have asked you to stop playing WR. That is what "you" are and do as indicated by your contract and paycheck.

What is appears they asked you to "do" is quit being a whining, "look at me" malcontent and simply do your job. It appears they thought your job, and the follow-on of the teams perfomance, was being impacted by what you "do".

The problem lies in Chad thinking his "job" is being a showman, not a WR working to help the team win. This is supported by the fact that he takes issues with the team asking him to simply "do your job" by saying "It sucked" and "There was no excitment". Mr. Chad equates "being me" and "excitement" with behavior that now is clearly counter to the success of the team.

I'd like to see these posed to Chad:

Chad, you mention "no excitement" when asked about the team needing you to tone down your "act". Is it not "exciting" enough to win and perform at a level we've come to expect from you?

Would you be willing to "quiet down" if it meant the team would be rid of a major distraction and could then focus on winning?

How can you claim to be a "team player" and that the playoff are "all the matter" when your behavior and attitude indicates otherwise?

If you continue to place your own demands and need to "be me" above that of the team how can you expect any other NFL team to be interested in bringing you in?

Don't believe anything reported in the media unless we see Chad moving his lips and hearing the words. Mucho BullSh*tO from Ochco Cinco is happening just now. Chad is using the fact most media outlets have a bigger budget during SB week to count on airtime. Once the SB is over, like in a few hours, Chad will go back to Margaritaville and pipe down or even toke up, who knows.

Hey how about dem Lakers? Trading trash for gold. Sorry to go off topic but as a guy who remembers the Cincy Royals and had to see Jerry Lucas's bronzed shoes at Middletown High for 3 years, I love dat game played in LA.

Sorry but the Bengals moved on after Charlie Joiner left, after Isaac Curtis was gone, after Eddie Brown left, after Carl Pickens left, after Darney Scott left, and so will they when Chad is gone.

Right now Chad is slapping the face of every fan who bought a #85 jersey, bought something with his likeness on it, or stood in line for hours to PAY to get his autograph...

Chad on your way out don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'!

And how about this for a trade...Chad Johnson to the Giants for Jeremy Shockey and a third round pick? or Chad Johnson and a Bengals third rounder for Shockey and the Giants Second Rounder?

Of course this is another year of off-season distractions, that is really creepy of Chad to pull this. The love is gone for 85, but he'll probably wear that number in September at Cincy, in 2008. Remember Asante Samuel? He's playing today.

Assante Samuel didn't call out his teammates...just the Front Office looking for more money

Of course this is another year of off-season distractions, that is really creepy of Chad to pull this. The love is gone for 85, but he'll probably wear that number in September at Cincy, in 2008. Remember Asante Samuel? He's playing today.

Assante Samuel didn't call out his teammates...just the Front Office looking for more money

Well, he's not pulled a Kobe Bryant yet, who did call out teammates by name PLUS trashed the FO by name too PLUS trashed the owner by name. So if Kobe can be reeled back in so to can a lesser luminary like Chad be reeled in. My guess about Chad is that its all about money, just like Samuel. He and his agent are searching for the right PR campaign without mentioning the M word.

Sorry but the Bengals moved on after Charlie Joiner left, after Isaac Curtis was gone, after Eddie Brown left, after Carl Pickens left, after Darney Scott left, and so will they when Chad is gone.

Right now Chad is slapping the face of every fan who bought a #85 jersey, bought something with his likeness on it, or stood in line for hours to PAY to get his autograph...

Chad on your way out don't let the door hit ya' where the good lord split ya'!

And how about this for a trade...Chad Johnson to the Giants for Jeremy Shockey and a third round pick? or Chad Johnson and a Bengals third rounder for Shockey and the Giants Second Rounder?

Why would we trade one premadonna for another? Or were you kidding?

Shockey is worse than Chad. Hey, buddy, nice of you to support your teammates from the luxury booth drinking beers!!!!!!! You fu*king piece of sh*t!!!!!

Shockey is worse than Chad. Hey, buddy, nice of you to support your teammates from the luxury booth drinking beers!!!!!!! You fu*king piece of sh*t!!!!!

To be fair, Shockey was probably doing them a favor. At least he wasn't whining about not getting the ball, and let Boss make that big play.

After sitting through an entire night of my Chiefs fan buddies telling me over and over that the Chiefs are interested in Chad and then backing it up with "sources," I would like to throw my two cents in.

If you are a fan of the Bengals, then you are a Chad Johnson fan by proxy, and you have probably done your fair share of defending him against the barbs that fans of other teams tend to throw against #85. He is an elite talent, he has great TD celebrations, he is outspoken, and all of those things add up to what we probably perceived as jealousy from other fans who didn't have that type of player on their team that warned us about how this would all turn out. We probably laughed it off, looked at the hard evidence that insisted that he would be a Bengal for a sizable amount of time, and remained confident that it really would work out in the long run.

Ladies and gentlemen, we were wrong. So very, very wrong.

Chad Johnson, at his core, is no different than the other troubled-yet-elite WRs who have stirred the pot in the past. When things began to turn around, when Palmer emerged as the long-term franchise QB and put up staggering numbers, when the team won the AFC North in 2005 and went into the final game of the 2003 and 2006 season with a spot in the playoffs at stake, there was nothing to indicate that this problem would eventually exist or that Chad was unhappy. However, as is the case in a vast majority of these situations, when the team underperformed, when things went wrong, and when 2007 went from a year of substantial promise to what can only be described as a major disappointment, we got to see the Chad that has always been bubbling beneath the surface but had not had an opportunity to be seen, the Chad that complains about his teammates, about management, about the coaches, about anything that will take the focus off of himself. I do not begrudge any player who hates losing, but I do begrudge the player who makes himself the face of the franchise when the team is winning and cannot take the heat and suddenly wants to shift the blame anywhere he can when the team is not what it was supposed to be.

So now Chad wants to move on to another team that will allow him to "be himself," but what happens when that team falls below expectations? And all of you know the answer...he complains, he throws people under the bus, he threatens, he quits, and then he goes somewhere else.

I appreciate Ocho Cinco as much as the next guy, and I know that a talent of his caliber is hard to come by, but I would rather cut ties and see where we end up than have our most talented offensive star dangling a sword over the team's head every time that things do not go as planned. This one story may not be entirely true, but I have heard the interviews that he has done over the last two weeks, and he certainly sounds like he has already cashed in his chips and is ready to head out the door.

If this is the way that it is supposed to be, then so be it. We got through 2-14 in 2002, so we can surely weather this storm.