Dillon wants out?!

kevnz

Excite News story

Just found this...I hope it's wrong for so many reasons. First being that Corey doesn't have a clue about the NFL cause the trade deadline has passed. What is he, stupid? Second, why leave when things are turning around for the Bengals. Yeah, he doesn't get the ball 40 times a game, but damn, no running back should for more than a game or two. If the Bengals were still losing badly, then yeah, ask to be traded, cut anything, but come on, why jump when things are turning around. I am just astounded that he is being so selfish. He might want to go to Dallas but I don't think Parcells would have a bar of that selfish ass attitude. For that matter I can see Dillon not suiting up for the rest of the year and coach Lewis let Rudi, and Kenny get the snaps...(just please not Bennett)

cheers

say it aint so corey. i would understand maybe if we were comin off of a loss, but momentum is starting to swing our way and he even scored a TD in the frickin game. this definitely is not good. it is on espn.com's lead stories, too.

Well, Marvin has been more than happy to show people the door, even top players so I don't think Corey should get any special treatment. I say sit him down and don't dress him for a game or two, see what happens then. This team is bigger than any one player, even CD.

do we bench him all year?

Yep, All this year, and if it hurts the cap to get rid of him, bench him next year as well. I mean really, if it would cost too much to release him or trade him next year then don't even dress him, or make him play special teams only. What makes him so special that he is above the rest of team? He maybe the best player on the team(I have my doubts cause Chad is the bomb) But last time I looked there are 11 players on the field at anyone time, and CD has not won one game for the Bengals in the past two years.

I had gotten suspicious when his agent called Dallas especially after us grabbing Kenny Watson. But then when the deadline passed and nothing happened, I thought it was just a bunch of smoke.

There's a bunch of things that aren't making sense though. He's complaining about not getting the ball enough and in the same breath blaming the field for getting hurt and saying he shouldn't have been played. Corey. If you don't play .......you don't get the ball. If you get more carries on a field that you think is getting you injured then ...... ????????

The whole thing is beside the point now. Given coach Lewis's history, Corey Dillon just ceased to exist. Trading is out. Cutting him is very expensive ......... would serve him right though cause I think Arizona would have 1st dibs on him off of waivers. I think he sits while Watson and Rudi get the calls. Either way though, this is going to make the other teams think before making him even a decent offer. He's getting on in age ... he's hurt ..... and now he has just blind sided his team. Doesn't look real good on the resume does it ? How much of this do you think is bitterness because they've won 2 out of 3 games with no major contribution from him ?? plus that being mentioned in the press ?????

Doesn't look real good on the resume does it ?

That's just it, very few coaches would be desprate enough to get someone that has the potential to be a coach killer that Dillon would have. Yep, if they cut him, Arizona would have first dibs, followed by Detroit, Chicago, and Atlanta. Damn, playing Arizona is a fate worse than death, just look at poor Emmitt(not that I have a lot of sympathy for him :D )

WELL WELL WELL.........WHERE IS THIS STORY??????? is there any truth to it? ....IF THERE IS; then the best way i can sum this up is ............ well, you all know my sentiments about dillon...let's see this in print before i really comment.....but...remember "life goes on" and gets better...........

I have wanted to be rid of Corey Dillon for years. I had hoped that he would not make it through training camp. Unfortunately we're stuck with him for the rest of the year. Perhaps they can suspend him for conduct detrimental to the team. Then after he misses a paycheck or two his attitude will change.

I have predicted for weeks that he will not be a bengal next year. He is a premadonna that has had a few BIG games, but otherwise has been a durable mediocre back.

Another possibility is to place him on IR and go get an unsigned veteran (like Adrian Murrell) or a rookie off of someones practice squad. I think Ickey (the current) could have gotten the yards Dillon has this year.

this is just another rumor going around

Dillon wants out --- blah blah blah

dillions best years are behind him ---- blah blah blah

dillon and lewis dont get along ---- blah blah blah

dillon should be benched --- blah blah blah

dillon is here to stay --- yea yea yea :P

has had a few BIG games, but otherwise has been a durable mediocre back.

WTF?

He was the Bengals offense for years. Even when they stacked the box with 7-10 players, if the Bengals had even a remotely decent passing game then he would have broken 2000 yards in a season and the Bengals wouldn't have sucked so bad. Dillon is a lot of things, mediocre is not one of them.

On a good team Dillon would have been league MVP, and have that ring he wants so bad. But let's face it he was great and some piss poor Bengals teams.....

Saying that when the Bengals drafted him they knew they were taking risks cause it's not like he was the most upstanding of citizens. So this most recent tirade is not a huge surprise. It's not justified, and he is being a prick about it, but it's not surprising.

I'll also stand by my comments that he needs to sit the next couple of games for spouting off like he has.

cheers

HEY EVERYONE.....cd has been the media and self appointed HEART 'n Soul of this team for years........he has done some impressive things and has had major accomplishments......during this time the fans have appreciated, supported and THRIVED on corey; as he seemed to be the only thing the bengals had going........now to the point....remember when the offesive line said they didn't know whether to pass or run block (should be able to do both) 2 years ago? bratkowski's offense is pass oriented.....think about that!!!..... dillon is used to being the center of attention.....i personally don't think he ever believed in the passing offense; it takes him out of the lime light...... i believe EGO is the problem and has been for a couple years....2 1/2 to be exact, and quite honestly, as much as he has done for this team in his early years, he has undone for THIS TEAM the last 2.....

RICHMOND MATT....as much as the people, fans of this town don't want to hear it.....I AGREE WHOLE HEARTEDLY..............we can speculate now, but in time we will know the final outcome

OH MY FREAKIN GOD!!!!!! You guys are pathetic. Man, you make me not want to be a Bengals fan. I hope you are the only ones who think this way.

You guys are terrible fans. How often does Dillon get hurt?????Not much, and it's JUST a groin injury. No wonder Dillon is getting mad, people are acting like he can't walk anymore, so they want to dump him to the pirhannas. Talk about people being selfish, you guys are selfish for wanting to sit Dillon, or even trade him. Sure he spouts off at the mouth every now and then, but can you blame him???

Wouldn't you get a little ticked off if everybody keeps saying your too old, when he's only 29, he can play because he's prone to getting hurt. He JUST has a groin injury, I've had groin injuries before in the past just from picking up boxes and moving them around, and believe me, it doesn't feel good.

I don't even know what to say. I am really dissappointed in you people. SHIP JUMPERS, that's all you are, why don't you just go and jump on Cleveland or Pittsburghs band wagon. Look at Marshall Faulk, look how old he is, he has gotten injured this year and I do believe he got injured last year but he's still considered one of the best backs in the league. RIGHT!!!!!!!!!

Sure, what was written in the Enquirer was false, but still, you shouldn't want to jump ship so fast before you even hear the whole story.

I guess I'm the only one who still thinks Dillon is THE BEST back, the bengals have ever had, THE BEST back that is playing in the NFL right now, and he's our only hope for being a playoff contention team.

Man. . . . . . . . .. . . you guys are dissapointing!

Noxiously did you not read my last post? I never said one word about Dillons injury, or productivity or what not. Dillon has been the best back in the NFL since his rookie season. It's not his fault the Bengals couldn't do anything but run the ball. Saying that, greatness doesn't allow you to slag your team just when they are turning it around. No one player is better than the team, no matter that the player is truly a great player. The Bengals are turning it around and Coach Lewis has said that he wants Dillon to be a centerpiece of the team. Dillon spouts off like he has, and I'm sorry, this is spouting off and slagging his team so he can kiss my @$$. Yeah he wants to win, yeah he hates losing, and he wants the ball more. But damn, how can he justify saying that if he get's it more he would be more productive? 39 yards on 19 carries this past game coming back from injury. What would have five more carries made? His team won for pitties sake, is he that selfish that winning be damned as long as he get's his carries? Screw that! I have been Bengals fan for the past 20 some odd years, and Dillon has been the best RB on the team in that time, but he doesn't get a get out of jail free card just when it looks like the team is finally playing like a true NFL team and he spouts off like he did. And the stories aren't made up he did say he wanted out he only backtracked a little bit afterwards! That's just piss poor.

Hey 'NOXIOUSLY' i luv that handle!!!!!!!! and i respect your opinion.....has anyone read; "who move my cheese"?........well marvin has moved the cheese!!!!!!! and grion injury or not, dillon has not found the cheese, the attitude is not there....the times;.. they hav'a changed.....we're disappointing, maybe so....but we are following the cheese....run marvin run...

Kevnz

How does this translate into Dillon saying he wants to get the ball more?

"How we go from being one of the strongest running teams to one of the weakest, I don’t know. When I’m healthy, I don’t get the ball more than 20 times a game."

Maybe he's just making a point.

All I'm saying is people need to cut him some slack.

Yes, he does deserve a "get out of jail free" card. Don't you think he deserves it for all the hard work he's done for this team. No one else could ever have ran the ball that well for that many years for any team that hasn't had a winning season in 12 years. Any RB would be saying stuff after seven losing years, especially if "the fans" are ragging on him for one injury.

"Dillon hasn’t carried more than 23 times in a game in a full year, or since he went for 138 yards on 30 carries last Oct. 27 in a 30-24 loss to Tennessee. The Bengals are ranked next to last in NFL rushing, but know that a large part of that is because Dillon hasn’t been healthy since the first half of the second game." This was taken from Bengals.com from and article written by Geoff Hobson

Maybe Dillon was trying to make a point. Maybe he was saying when he's healthy they should involve him more often to help the team not rely on just the pass, which until now hasn't been that reliable and it still really isn't. Maybe he was trying to say that when he rushes for more than 23 times a game their win/lose record isn't as bad as when he doesn't rush 23 times a game.

Seriously, all I'm saying is people should just cut him some slack. What more do you want from him, he's continually been an excellent RB on a team that couldn't move the ball by passing. I would be mad too if I've busted my ass for seven years on a losing team, and now that he's injured people want to talk trade or even bench him for the year.

Whats up with that??!!!!

NOX........good points.....but it seems, all things aside, cd runs hard when he wants to....think back to last yr when he was stopped on 4th 'n goal....the drive and desire don't seem to be there.....and this certainly takes nothing away from his great performances in years past....hell yes i'd love to see him run for 100+ per game the rest of the yr...but i don't think he's in to it, kit can tutor palmer, but i don't think dillon can handle watson......i, and many more would love to be wrong....but it just isn't happening....and if he goes for 100+ vs seat; it's still a wait and see....lewis' demeanor has been very calm and low key when he deals with player issues; same as for dealing with dillon....to me all signs indicated a smooth surface with major turburlance underneath......we can just hope for the best

Noxiously, all I'm saying is that greatness doesn't excuse poor timing. Do I think Dillon should be getting the ball heaps? Yes, if he shows that he is healthy(I think he is) and his line can block for him(not doing a very good job of that). Should he hammer his team after an emotional win, and showing the NFL that they are turning around? Hell no. I don't think he has diminished skills and I do think he is healthy. I also think there is no reason to give him thirty carries a game if his O-line can't keep him from taking some brutal hits before he even get's to the line of scrimmage. I also say that about any back, cause that will shorten a career fast.

and as for the quote

"How we go from being one of the strongest running teams to one of the weakest, I don’t know. When I’m healthy, I don’t get the ball more than 20 times a game."

Well, being one of the strongest running teams sure didn't help them win many games or make the playoffs :angry: Now that they are starting to win and throwing it better(because teams still fear CD) he get's pissy and spouts off...That just sucks on his part.

I'll say one other thing. I want to see Dillon stay a Bengal, I want to see him retire a Bengal, and I want to see him in Canton in a Bengal jersey.

Cheers

I read the article from the Enquirer and the one @ Bengals.com. I think it's hard for anybody to know what CD wants or what he meant because it didn't seem to me like he knew either. Either he was screaming for attention, or he missed his medication.

Marvin Lewis said that CD was mad at the media and not the team and he has no intention of benching him. Whether we agree or not, he's the coach and he gets to make that decision. Thats not to say he won't end up being benched, but its not going to happen now. What he did was beyond blowing off steam and definitely shouldn't have been done in public. He'll pay for it, but it will be in the time and manner that Coach Lewis decides. CD knows he's going to get it too, and the worst part is he doesn't know how or when. He just knows.

The notion that CD is a mediocre player is ridiculious. He broke 2 rushing records. The nothion that being a top player at his position will keep him on the team is equally ridiculious ... ask Spikes. The whole thing is unfrotunate, but it's done. He will play till someone can replace him. He will sit after that and most likely be gone after June.

You guys are stupid. No matter who is running the ball this weekend you wont gain 100.

This is an intelligent discussion between well informed fans of the game in general and the Bengals in particular. The conversations of such men can have no meaning to you and you are certainly not relevant to it. You may go.

I so much dislike players who are not loyal to there teams or fans. Corey D is a puke who just wants fame. It is best to just let him go. Trade him for a good draft pick with less of a attitude. Terrel Owens of S.F. the same way loud mouth not happy always someones elses fault type a player. Sorry Bengals fans you would be better with a peep who likes to play for the team.

“Get it done. Make me happy. This thing has been lingering around for years and years. This is my confession. Change is good. Change is very good. The question is, do I want to see myself here next year,” Dillon said of trades. “Dude, plug me into a Denver, Plug me into a Dallas, I’d have the rushing title hands down, period. Put me in a different situation and you hear my name every Sunday. These are things I know.”

Sounds to me like he is a little jealous and selfish. He's tired of when he hears about the Bengals it's about C. Johnson, Kitna and others.

I don't see where he thinks that even if he was healthy he wouldn't get 20 or more carries a game. He was only healthy in one game this season and we were getting blown out. There isn't a coach out there thats going to stick with the running game very much in a blow out.

I've always liked Dillon, but comments like the ones he made aren't good for the team.

Maybe Lewis should have all the other players and coaches bow to Dillon as they pass him on the sidelines, so he can get the respect that he's in such a need of.

He backed off some later in the day, but if it happens again, he should be benched.