Is it time to change the playoff seeding format?

jjakq27

Is it fair that Jacksonville could possibly finish with 12 wins yet end up as a road team in the playoffs?

I would like to see them seed based on straight records in each conference. Why penalize a team that plays in strong division when you might have a team like San Diego that could finish with the same or worse record than both wild card teams? That shouldn't merit a home game. Not to mention the Jags already beat the Steelers.

It keeps the relevancy of divisions. What would even be the purpose of divisions if they didn't do it that way?

You would still qualify based on division but I don't think you should get a home game if you don't have a better record than the wild card teams.

It keeps the relevancy of divisions. What would even be the purpose of divisions if they didn't do it that way?

You would still qualify based on division but I don't think you should get a home game if you don't have a better record than the wild card teams.

I see your point but if a team wins its division, even a weak one, then surely they deserve at least one home playoff game? What would be the point of having divisions if not?

I agree, jjakq. I don't view the issue as very important, but I think it'd make more sense for home/away seeding to be determined by win/loss record rather than division/wild card standings. Division winners should always make the playoffs though, as you said. It'd be stupid to include a third wild card over a division winner.

Yeah it probably isn't that important but compare Jacksonville's division, where every team could finish .500 or better if Houston wins Sunday, to San Diego's division, where the three other teams have combined for 14 wins.

My point is that Jacksonville has had to face better competion in its six divisional games than San Diego did and still has a better overall record. Somehow they should be rewarded for that if they have a better record.

Yeah it probably isn't that important but compare Jacksonville's division, where every team could finish .500 or better if Houston wins Sunday, to San Diego's division, where the three other teams have combined for 14 wins.

My point is that Jacksonville has had to face better competion in its six divisional games than San Diego did and still has a better overall record. Somehow they should be rewarded for that if they have a better record.

Personally, I think it's fine. I mean, the next step would be subjective interpretation arguments that are similar to the BCS and additional tie-breaking procedures that already confused me after the 342rd tie-breaker. If a WC team has the same record as a division winning team in a dreadful division, who gets the home game? If WC team has the second best record in the NFL, they would be in line for a bye week. Therefore, do you penalize the third best team by making them play whereas now they'd get a break?

Not trying to be difficult here. But it would create arguments that the NFL does not want. And it's not like Roger Goodell is close to the image of his predecessors. He needs to save face... just like giving the NFL Network game between the Pats and Giants to NBC and CBS FOR FREE while both networks get the advertising revenue while FOX looks clearly confused saying, "WTF"?

Again, you have a fine point. But it's really not that critical.

Leave it as is as far as seeding, wouldn't mind another wild card however, but thats simply because I know it would give us a better chance to make it. I am cool with how it is now...