The problem isn't the team, it's the organization

fazs2000

Now we can blame 2006 and 2007 on many obvious factors we see on TV, when in reality, it's all linked to one person: Mike Brown. There are so many problems in every seam of this organization that it doesn't seem like the Bengals can ever become elite unless Brown is gone. You can blame the players, the coaches, blah blah blah, but how has Brown given our Bengals the best chance to win? Let's see here. Well for one, the Bengals have three talent scouts. Three. The Steelers have 18. The Patriots have 24. We have three. This leads directly into the second problem, which is a lack of big, effective free agent signings. Yes, that's due to a lack of a GM. Brown wants to handle all that himself. Three, Brown holds Marvin back. Lewis wants more power, he wants more control, he wants to make this team his own. He did, for a few years. What happened? We made the playoffs. What happened the last two years? Brown decides he wants Marvin to be his puppet, and this team regresses. All the big football decisions (ie. who gets to call the defense) must go through the boss, and he seems content with the coordinators and assistant coaches that we have. This is what Marvin has to work with. This became more and more apparent towards the end of 2006. To get the obvious out of the way, this team has just been subjective to some bad luck, mainly injuries and/or unexplained suspensions to key draft picks and players. Pollack, Thurman, Brooks are just a few of many. Another obvious but huge problem is the lack of maturity of this team. It's hard to believe how much this team pouts, taunts, talks, and childishly celebrates when they're losing. And I also find it hard to believe that this team can be behaving that way under Marvin Lewis, who has always had a reputation as a guy who keeps his players in line (evidenced by how disciplined the Ravens' defense was when Marvin was there). But he's not allowed to discipline the Bengals too severely. Mike Brown won't allow that. The players have nothing to be afraid of, so they do whatever they want, on or off the field. It's almost as if Brown enjoys notoriety. So when you look at this team, and look back on the last decade and a half, there is really only one common factor and problem: the organization, mainly Mike Brown. I'm a Bengals' fan through and through but until he's gone, I have serious doubt that this team can be a dynasty like the Patriots, even though we have the players and talent (and head coach) to be one.

Well, I honestly don't know what Mike Brown does with his staff, what is said, or how they go about making decisions in regards to the organization. Not trying to be a d*ck, just asking, but do you have first hand knowledge that this is how Mike Brown actually does business or is this strictly your opinion based upon what you see ?? That being said, this was only the 3rd game I was actually able to watch and this is what I thought about during the game...

The Steelers organization is ran VERY well. Did anyone actually watch how the Steelers players reacted to things during the game ?? Even when they were making mistakes and TRYING VERY HARD to give the Bengals this game, they were not concerned and looked to be having fun playing the game. Did you notice the Bengals players ?? After the Holt fumble, it looked like they had already quit. No fun, no fire, no anything !!! I admire how well the Steelers organization is ran and it is VERY appearant watching the team play. Even Tomlin looks to be a more confident coach and in control of things. The Bengals look as bad as they played tonight.

After watching this game, I am officially in the camp of whatever changes need to be made, MAKE THEM... Trade Chad, fire all the coaches, or whatever they think will be a positive move, DO IT !!! Outside of the Cleveland game this year, I haven't been more embarrassed of this team. I couldn't hardly believe what I was watching today when the game was on and it sickened me...

Always hoping for more...

WHODEY !!!

Well, I honestly don't know what Mike Brown does with his staff, what is said, or how they go about making decisions in regards to the organization. Not trying to be a d*ck, just asking, but do you have first hand knowledge that this is how Mike Brown actually does business or is this strictly your opinion based upon what you see ??

I work at a Circuit City and Bengals' players and coaches come in all the time. I get into good conversations with a lot of them (usually with the coaches), which is where I find this type of information out. Whether the coaches and players are just expressing their opinion, or are actually telling me how things actually are, I don't know, but I can only assume what they say is true since they are as close to a source as I can imagine.

The Steelers organization is ran VERY well. Did anyone actually watch how the Steelers players reacted to things during the game ?? Even when they were making mistakes and TRYING VERY HARD to give the Bengals this game, they were not concerned and looked to be having fun playing the game. Did you notice the Bengals players ?? After the Holt fumble, it looked like they had already quit. No fun, no fire, no anything !!! I admire how well the Steelers organization is ran and it is VERY appearant watching the team play. Even Tomlin looks to be a more confident coach and in control of things. The Bengals look as bad as they played tonight.

Yeah you can notice that with pretty much every consistently good team. They are very well coached, are very calm, very confident, very enthusiastic, and generally appear to know exactly what to do in every situation. You can see it in their body language. We always look like we're pressing, nervous, freaking out, and just have no idea what to do next. The main thing I hate about our defense is just how dumb most of our players are. You might be able to attribute that to either their work ethic and lack of preparation, or just bad coaching. They are always easily fooled. It's not as if eight of them fall for something, and three will recognize the play. All eleven just all at once fail to recognize plays. If they've spent all week getting ready for the game, watching tape, and figuring out their opponent's tendencies, how come not even a few of our players seem to know what's going on out there? The lack of leadership on the Bengals is very surprising, especially with veterans like Willie and Thornton.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't trying to be funny with you... However, if the Bengals coaching staff feels the need to walk into some retail store and share the weak points of the organization and how poorly it is run with one of its employees they don't know from Adam, we have bigger problems than I thought !!!

If this is in fact the case, I vote the Bengals coaching staff the most unprofessional bunch of losers in the league...

WHODEY !!!