Question for Army Bengal

combatbengal

ArmyBengal, what would you do to a Soldier who performed as bad as the Bengal Defense? As leaders in the military, we'd counsel, retrain and reassess the Soldier. If that didn’t work, we’d build a packet up and get rid of them. You’re right, we’re outside of the organization and we don’t know what goes on behind closed doors. However, we witness a lack of fundamentals in tackling skills every week. Doesn’t look like the DC has counseled, re-trained or assessed anything this season. They talk about watching game film all the time. What are they looking at; the fans in the stadium, the cheerleaders, our mascot, etc? Same goes for our DB’s. WR’s have been 3+ yards open all year. We can’t cover anybody. You’d think they’d be better if they practiced against Chad and TJ!

I guess you and I take more pride in what we do for a living. If we fail at our jobs, Soldiers die. If the coaches fail, they just lose a game. I wonder if they have a smile on their face when they cash that paycheck. Wonder if they’re able to look at themselves in a mirror and feel comfortable about cashing that check. Are they as dedicated to the team as some of the fans are? Shoot you flew all the way from the sand box to watch a game! I displayed the Bengal colors in Iraq during the war. There are guys who have Bengal Tattoo’s, dress their pets up, etc.

You are correct in how to handle Soldiers and what I would "FOR" them. I emphasize "FOR" them, because we are suppose to give them all available time, training, and resources available before we write them off. Then again, that's in regards to Soldier's and not millionaires...

That being said, I have no idea how the coaches are handling the players and what they do "FOR" them. I'll take it one step further and wonder what Marvin is doing "FOR" his coordinators. I wonder what the front office is doing "FOR" Marvin. By the looks of things, it doesn't appear much is being done by any of them. However, that would be the obvious perception of a person (see "FAN") who has no idea what is really happening within the organization.

If you were to go back and look at some of the stuff being written about the 2007 Bengals prior to the start of the season, you would find many articles questioning not only the defensive issues that still exist (Getting younger, allowing 41% of opposition 3rd down conversions), but also how the offense has been just as miserable at converting 3rd downs (35.8% or 25th in the league for 2006). None of that has changed for this team and for all that was written, another common thread was the fact that if this team was to make it to the playoffs, it would be squarely on the shoulders of Carson.

What does all of that indicate ?? Well, again, as an outsider looking in, I would say the coordinators on both sides of the ball are having mad issues getting their respective units to perform. To answer why that is or how much Marvin has influenced either of those coaches in improving these problems, is unknown to me. How much are the people in charge doing "FOR" those having the problems ??

The injuries ARE an issue, not an excuse... Add to that the players we have missing for whatever reason and high draft picks that haven't produced and you have all the makings of a team that is going to underachieve. I'm sorry, but not having a developing Pollack and Thurman hurts this defense HORRIBLY. Right there are a 1st and 3rd round pick having NO impact whatsoever. The pick of Chris Perry (1st Round) and the loss of Kenny Irons (2nd Round) hurt this offense as well. Both were viewed as providing the RB corps with a "change of pace" back and neither have found their way to lineup. However, when Perry WAS playing, Rudi had one of his best seasons. Coincidence ?? I don't think so.

Sorry for the length of my response, but to tell you the truth, I don't have all the answers and can't figure it all out. However, I am just trying to provide the average fan with another possiblity to why we are having the issues we are, without blaming the entire thing on Marvin Lewis. I have ALWAYS been a Bengals fan since the early 70's and have always worn the colors of the team. They are my team and I'm going to support them. I always wear one of the three jerseys I brought with me over here (Palmer, Chad, or Rudi) and also have Carson's USC jersey as well.

I think the frustration is just getting the best of us at this moment and unfortunately, I don't see that frustration ending any time soon...

Hope that helped... If not sorry...

WHODEY !!!

You are correct in how to handle Soldiers and what I would "FOR" them. I emphasize "FOR" them, because we are suppose to give them all available time, training, and resources available before we write them off. Then again, that's in regards to Soldier's and not millionaires...

That being said, I have no idea how the coaches are handling the players and what they do "FOR" them. I'll take it one step further and wonder what Marvin is doing "FOR" his coordinators. I wonder what the front office is doing "FOR" Marvin. By the looks of things, it doesn't appear much is being done by any of them. However, that would be the obvious perception of a person (see "FAN") who has no idea what is really happening within the organization.

If you were to go back and look at some of the stuff being written about the 2007 Bengals prior to the start of the season, you would find many articles questioning not only the defensive issues that still exist (Getting younger, allowing 41% of opposition 3rd down conversions), but also how the offense has been just as miserable at converting 3rd downs (35.8% or 25th in the league for 2006). None of that has changed for this team and for all that was written, another common thread was the fact that if this team was to make it to the playoffs, it would be squarely on the shoulders of Carson.

What does all of that indicate ?? Well, again, as an outsider looking in, I would say the coordinators on both sides of the ball are having mad issues getting their respective units to perform. To answer why that is or how much Marvin has influenced either of those coaches in improving these problems, is unknown to me. How much are the people in charge doing "FOR" those having the problems ??

The injuries ARE an issue, not an excuse... Add to that the players we have missing for whatever reason and high draft picks that haven't produced and you have all the makings of a team that is going to underachieve. I'm sorry, but not having a developing Pollack and Thurman hurts this defense HORRIBLY. Right there are a 1st and 3rd round pick having NO impact whatsoever. The pick of Chris Perry (1st Round) and the loss of Kenny Irons (2nd Round) hurt this offense as well. Both were viewed as providing the RB corps with a "change of pace" back and neither have found their way to lineup. However, when Perry WAS playing, Rudi had one of his best seasons. Coincidence ?? I don't think so.

Sorry for the length of my response, but to tell you the truth, I don't have all the answers and can't figure it all out. However, I am just trying to provide the average fan with another possiblity to why we are having the issues we are, without blaming the entire thing on Marvin Lewis. I have ALWAYS been a Bengals fan since the early 70's and have always worn the colors of the team. They are my team and I'm going to support them. I always wear one of the three jerseys I brought with me over here (Palmer, Chad, or Rudi) and also have Carson's USC jersey as well.

I think the frustration is just getting the best of us at this moment and unfortunately, I don't see that frustration ending any time soon...

Hope that helped... If not sorry...

WHODEY !!!

What's your unit designation, out of curiosity? I was with the 1/41 FA Bn, 24th ID (now 3rd ID), Ft. Stewart, GA.

We are deployed out of Fort Riley, part of 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. We are what is called an ETT or Embedded Training Team. We are out in the middle of nowhere and are responsible for assessing and training the Afghan Border Patrol. We have responsibility for about 500km of border along Pakistan in the southern portion of Afghanistan. Thankfully, I have about 83 days until I get to come back for good. I was suppose to go back to Fort Stewart, but got that changed...

WHODEY !!!

As a former Marine, I'd like to comment on this Armed Forces themed thread. The way the Bengals play/conduct their affairs, and the way the military does business couldn't be farther apart. There is simply no accountability on the teams leaderships part for how poorly their "troops" preform. If ANY company commander, or even squad leader brought in such poor results as have done the Cincinnati coaching staff, they would all be standing tall in front of the unit C.O. facing charges of Dereliction of Duty.

The current staff is an absolute JOKE! Failing to put the proper number of players on the field once is a mistake. Anything more is sheer stupidity.

Billy, love you brother, but I wasn't the one who put the Military spin on things in this thread and while I cn agree with you assessment of the situation in regards to said theme, I also pointed out in my first post that there is a difference is dealing with Soldiers and millionaires... It was just another way of looking at the situation...

WHODEY !!!

We are deployed out of Fort Riley, part of 1st Brigade, 1st Infantry Division. We are what is called an ETT or Embedded Training Team. We are out in the middle of nowhere and are responsible for assessing and training the Afghan Border Patrol. We have responsibility for about 500km of border along Pakistan in the southern portion of Afghanistan. Thankfully, I have about 83 days until I get to come back for good. I was suppose to go back to Fort Stewart, but got that changed...

WHODEY !!!

You're lucky you don't have to return to Ft. Stewart.

Hinesville sucks ;)

Army, when I deployed to Iraq, I was the company XO for the 526 FSB, 101st. We were all over Iraq during the war. Towards the end, we set up in Mosul. I switched jobs there and became the CHSO for the MSB. I am now a company CDR for AMEDD recruiting in Columbus Ohio. Maybe comparing Soldiers to these millionaires was a bad idea. We have tools in place to take care of Soldiers (counseling’s, sergeant’s time, remedial training, UCMJ, etc). Not sure what they have for these spoiled NFL players. Hope those 80+ days move quick for you. Where are you headed upon redeployment? I have three years to retirement!

I would think it is a pretty difficult job to find a way to motivate young millionaires as well. Besides having a love for playing the game, once you have that much money and you find yourself at ends with another's opinion, it would seem MUCH easy to just pop off with whatever the hel comes flying out of your mouth without any concern for anything or anyone else. Why care, they are millionaires... I would also think that's where personal accountability comes into play and realizing the sum of the team is greater than any ONE individual. Without everyone buying into that concept, I imagine coaching at that level becomes VERY difficult...

On a side note, I got myself a nice job at a MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station) in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I hit 20 in 2 years, but the assignment is locked in for 3, so I will do an extra year and retire with 21 years in. I'll still only be 40 years old...

WHODEY !!!