Chad Johnson Jumps Route, Picks Off Pass Intended for T.J. Houshmandza

Bengals1

Not mine...

(AP) - Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson picked off a pass today intended for Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and took it in for an important score. Johnson said he knew not to bite on the pump fake from Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer from watching film.

“The Bengals have been going more and more to T.J. Houshmandzadeh in their passing game,” said Johnson. “He has pretty much become their No. 1 receiver. So I knew to watch out for him coming across the middle, especially on third downs. And when he did – BOOM! – I stepped in front of him and picked it off.”

Johnson said he was supposed to run a fly pattern on the play to clear the free safety out of the middle of the field. But he cut off his route and jumped in front of Houshmandzadeh.

“It was easy. Carson Palmer didn’t even try to look me off,” said Johnson. “He thought T.J. was wide open. He tried a double move to get open, but I knew not to fall for it. I think Carson was shocked to see me there.”

The outspoken receiver says he is inside his quarterback’s head.

“They can try to throw away from me if they want, like I’m Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey,” said Johnson. “But the thing is, I know their plays. No matter who the ball is supposed to go to, I’m going to get there first and grab it. People talk about Brian Urlacher and Troy Polamalu – no, I’m the biggest ball hawk in the league.”

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says he appreciate his wide receiver’s dedication to defense.

“I wish we had a few more guys like him on this team, to tell you the truth,” said Lewis. “In fact, not just a few – I wish we had 11 guys like him on this team. Currently we have none.”

Not mine...

(AP) - Bengals wide receiver Chad Johnson picked off a pass today intended for Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and took it in for an important score. Johnson said he knew not to bite on the pump fake from Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer from watching film.

“The Bengals have been going more and more to T.J. Houshmandzadeh in their passing game,” said Johnson. “He has pretty much become their No. 1 receiver. So I knew to watch out for him coming across the middle, especially on third downs. And when he did – BOOM! – I stepped in front of him and picked it off.”

Johnson said he was supposed to run a fly pattern on the play to clear the free safety out of the middle of the field. But he cut off his route and jumped in front of Houshmandzadeh.

“It was easy. Carson Palmer didn’t even try to look me off,” said Johnson. “He thought T.J. was wide open. He tried a double move to get open, but I knew not to fall for it. I think Carson was shocked to see me there.”

The outspoken receiver says he is inside his quarterback’s head.

“They can try to throw away from me if they want, like I’m Deion Sanders or Champ Bailey,” said Johnson. “But the thing is, I know their plays. No matter who the ball is supposed to go to, I’m going to get there first and grab it. People talk about Brian Urlacher and Troy Polamalu – no, I’m the biggest ball hawk in the league.”

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis says he appreciate his wide receiver’s dedication to defense.

“I wish we had a few more guys like him on this team, to tell you the truth,” said Lewis. “In fact, not just a few – I wish we had 11 guys like him on this team. Currently we have none.”

That's too funny. Chad is unbelievable!

Then there's this little blurb...

Ravens Punt On Second Down Just To Get It Over With

(AP): BALTIMORE--Rather than go through the motions for three excruciating downs during their first possession Sunday, the Baltimore Ravens opted to punt on second down, just to get it over with. Coach Brian Billick said the move “saved time” for everyone involved.

“There’s no reason to embark on the charade of running a play to try and gain yards,” Billick said after the game. “So we figured we’d just punt the thing in advance. It saves some time and it spares everybody the five or six minutes of their lives they would have wasted watching us try to run a play. Not that I’m down on our offense or anything. It’s just that it’s difficult to watch, and I don’t see any reason to put myself through that more than I need to.”

On their second possession, the Ravens tried to punt on first down, but botched the snap and had to run another whole play.