Falcon's release DT Grady Jackson

Bengals1

ATLANTA -- In a surprising move announced without comment from coach Bobby Petrino or general manager Rich McKay, the Atlanta Falcons cut starting defensive tackle Grady Jackson on Tuesday.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said Petrino would address the move on Wednesday.

Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 350-pound run-stopper, led the league with 13 tackles for a loss last season. The 11-year veteran had 21 tackles, including 5 1/2 for losses, and one sack this year.

Jackson has started 22 of the last 23 games. His surprise exit leaves rookie sixth-round pick Trey Lewis as the starter.

Jackson filed a lawsuit against the team in the offseason, claiming defamation and invasion of privacy caused by the release of his medical records. Jackson claimed the release of the report that he failed a physical last summer hurt his value as a free agent.

The two sides settled before training camp.

Lewis has 15 tackles. He made two starts when Rod Coleman and Jonathan Babineaux were held out because of knee injuries.

The Falcons (1-6) are off this week before a Nov. 4 home game against San Francisco.

ATLANTA -- In a surprising move announced without comment from coach Bobby Petrino or general manager Rich McKay, the Atlanta Falcons cut starting defensive tackle Grady Jackson on Tuesday.

Falcons spokesman Reggie Roberts said Petrino would address the move on Wednesday.

Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 350-pound run-stopper, led the league with 13 tackles for a loss last season. The 11-year veteran had 21 tackles, including 5 1/2 for losses, and one sack this year.

Jackson has started 22 of the last 23 games. His surprise exit leaves rookie sixth-round pick Trey Lewis as the starter.

Jackson filed a lawsuit against the team in the offseason, claiming defamation and invasion of privacy caused by the release of his medical records. Jackson claimed the release of the report that he failed a physical last summer hurt his value as a free agent.

The two sides settled before training camp.

Lewis has 15 tackles. He made two starts when Rod Coleman and Jonathan Babineaux were held out because of knee injuries.

The Falcons (1-6) are off this week before a Nov. 4 home game against San Francisco.

If he wants to play for a 2-4 team in a big but little midwestern city for the vet minimum then sign him up. He's better than Kendrick Allen

If he wants to play for a 2-4 team in a big but little midwestern city for the vet minimum then sign him up. He's better than Kendrick Allen

Let's be honest, he's probably a better run stopper than any of the DTs we have.

I don't get the move, he hasn't looked bad in the games I've seen. Hell, he was a starter. Methinks there's something going on behind the scenes.

Let's be honest, he's probably a better run stopper than any of the DTs we have.

I don't get the move, he hasn't looked bad in the games I've seen. Hell, he was a starter. Methinks there's something going on behind the scenes.

When you sue your employer and your employment status is based on objective measurements you can get cut like this.

When you sue your employer and your employment status is based on objective measurements you can get cut like this.

That was over and done with a while ago though. Why not cut him before the season? Why start him? I'm still thinking there's got to be something else. Otherwise I'd love to see him signed.

Here's a theory,

he has been starting so maybe they reluctantly kept him around due to need.

Now that the only hope remaining is a first round draft pick, cut him and evaluate the rookie

before you spend those high picks.

I agree, probably worth a look but I like the Falcons would prefer to look to the draft.

hmmm.....very tempting, if WE HAD A GM TO FIGURE THIS OUT!

On one hand, he is older, subject to nagging injuries and has a chip due to previous mgmt issues.

On the other, he is a proven producer, could see this as an oppty and seize it and is most definately better than Thornton, Peko and BRob.

Someone will snap him up quick, so they better get to figuring...a job made easier IF WE HAD A GM!

Someone will snap him up quick, so they better get to figuring...a job made easier IF WE HAD A GM!

Are you implying the Bengals biggest failing is their inability to make mistakes as quickly as other teams?

I don't want Gravy Jackson, but most Bengal fans will. Which reminds me how I didn't want Fat Sam, but most Bengal fans did. In fact, they complained when the guy who isn't a GM didn't make a better offer for Fat Sam, complained again when the guy who isn't a GM refused to bid against himself, laughed themselves stupid when Fat Sam finally agreed to a still too rich contract offer, and then complained or offered excuses when Fat Sam showed up looking like Fatter Sam. One pathetic season later Fat Sam is deservedly cut and Bengal fans begin a new chant demanding the team set sail on a new gravy boat.

Frankly, if the guy who isn't a GM has learned his lesson he'll ignore the pleading of Bengal fans.

It's almost like the Bengals are getting a chance to make the Sam Adams mistake all over again.

While I don't entirely dispute this scenario remember we let Sapp go the Raiders and considered ourselves lucky we didn't overpay for his services. And after a somewhat rocky start Sapp has done very well for the Silver & Black the last few years after being written off as too old and too fat. <_<

It's almost like the Bengals are getting a chance to make the Sam Adams mistake all over again.

While I don't entirely dispute this scenario remember we let Sapp go the Raiders and considered ourselves lucky we didn't overpay for his services. And after a somewhat rocky start Sapp has done very well for the Silver & Black the last few years after being written off as too old and too fat. <_<

It took Sapp several years to pay real dividends, and only then after he took a 40 lb crap.

Just saying....

Frankly, if the guy who isn't a GM has learned his lesson he'll ignore the pleading of Bengal fans.

Fan pleadings or no, Mikey has never met a cheap, aging vet DT he didn't like.

But he's already signed his yearly quota in Myers. I don't think there's any danger of the gravy boat docking at PBS.

Are you implying the Bengals biggest failing is their inability to make mistakes as quickly as other teams?

I don't want Gravy Jackson, but most Bengal fans will. Which reminds me how I didn't want Fat Sam, but most Bengal fans did. In fact, they complained when the guy who isn't a GM didn't make a better offer for Fat Sam, complained again when the guy who isn't a GM refused to bid against himself, laughed themselves stupid when Fat Sam finally agreed to a still too rich contract offer, and then complained or offered excuses when Fat Sam showed up looking like Fatter Sam. One pathetic season later Fat Sam is deservedly cut and Bengal fans begin a new chant demanding the team set sail on a new gravy boat.

Well, what are you saying? That since we did NOT have a GM they made a good, smart deal for Sam?

I do not recall anyone making excuses or such when Fat Sam showed up too fat and too out of shape. Any reasonable fan knew that was a bad deal and a big mistake.

In fact, not having a GM to figure out that situation, or one where they properly evaluate Grady IS the problem.

Maybe they don't make the Fat Sam mistake? Maybe they do/don't make the same mistake with Grady? That is the point.

Well, what are you saying? That since we did NOT have a GM they made a good, smart deal for Sam?

Oh, hell no. I hated the Fat Sam talk from the start and was the first one here to call for him to be cut. Just pointing out that many of the same fans who blasted the Bengals for not signing Fat Sam sooner than they did later blasted them for signing him after the saw what they were getting in return. In short, any move that doesn't work out fails because Mike Brown is bald, and any move that does work could always be better if only Mike Brown had a full head of flowing hair. Or if you prefer, a GM would sign this guy....now that he's been cut by another GM.

As for Gravy Jackson, the same fans who liked the idea of signing Fat Sam will now claim that he was simply the wrong oversized DT, and will make the same tired arguments in favor of whichever ridiculously fat castoff now finds himself on top of the trash heap.

It could be worse. I remember some people begging and pleading for him to make Corey Simon the highest paid defensive player in the entire NFL.

It could be worse. I remember some people begging and pleading for him to make Corey Simon the highest paid defensive player in the entire NFL.

It could be even worse. Apparently some head coach was begging and pleading for Joey Porter. Fortunately, the man who isnt a GM doesn't listen to fans or head coaches. What do they know anyhow, right?

I'm not sure what the arguement is here? He was a starter? Yeah. He seems to be a productive player? Yeah. Does our Defense suck right now?Yeah, couldn't hurt to just take a look at the guy. I don't give a damn about Fat Sam or whatever you guys call him he has nothing to do with this guy. Give him a physical and a run through and see for themselves, you never know.

Maybe he got cut because he repeatedly came into the locker room with scratches and cuts like he was out dog fighting all night.

I'm not sure what the arguement is here? He was a starter? Yeah. He seems to be a productive player? Yeah. Does our Defense suck right now?Yeah, couldn't hurt to just take a look at the guy. I don't give a damn about Fat Sam or whatever you guys call him he has nothing to do with this guy. Give him a physical and a run through and see for themselves, you never know.

Setting aside the whole issue of his abilities, where do you put him? Whatever you think of Thornton, no way Gravy can match his PT. Myers has played pretty well. Cut Peko? Pass. I guess you could let B-rob go, but with Geathers doing this LB thing part time, that leaves you with Rucker and Fanene, the Wonder Injury Twins, opposite Justin. Even if I wanted Gravy, which I don't, there's no room.

Setting aside the whole issue of his abilities, where do you put him? Whatever you think of Thornton, no way Gravy can match his PT. Myers has played pretty well. Cut Peko? Pass. I guess you could let B-rob go, but with Geathers doing this LB thing part time, that leaves you with Rucker and Fanene, the Wonder Injury Twins, opposite Justin. Even if I wanted Gravy, which I don't, there's no room.

Yes, this seems to be the most important point in all this. Even assuming for the moment that we were interested and further assuming he'd come here and going even further with assumptions that we'd pay him something that wasn't insulting.... who do you cut to make room for him?

Yes, this seems to be the most important point in all this. Even assuming for the moment that we were interested and further assuming he'd come here and going even further with assumptions that we'd pay him something that wasn't insulting.... who do you cut to make room for him?

There's no room because there's no need for a grossly overweight DT whose greatest skill is rooted in gravity.

No fat chicks.

I think he would platoon at DT.

As for finding a spot, how about we dump one of our dozen DB's? David Jones? a rookie CB versus carrying a proven veteran at a deficient position...I choose the latter.

Now, first step is to see if they even have interest.

As for finding a spot, how about we dump one of our dozen DB's? David Jones? a rookie CB versus carrying a proven veteran at a deficient position...I choose the latter.

Don't forget, they're already looking at having to make definitely one, and possibly two, cuts over the next few weeks to fit Henry and possibly Perry back onto the roster.