Leslie Frazier alert....

AMC

Hmmmm.....Don't see the same love for Bres.....

Five more assistants to watch

Pete Prisco Oct. 18, 2007

By Pete Prisco

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Pete your opinion!

Share this page.

Jags D coordinator Smith riding wave

Five assistants besides Jaguars defensive coordinator Mike Smith who haven't been an NFL head coach but who could be in the mix in a year or two:

Rob Chudzinski, Cleveland offensive coordinator: What he's doing with the Browns offense is amazing. They are third in the league in scoring with Derek Anderson playing quarterback. That's impressive. In his first year after coming over from San Diego, he has done a really nice job.

Leslie Frazier, Minnesota defensive coordinator: I've always liked the way his teams play defense. He's a disciple of Buddy Ryan, which means an aggressive style. He got a raw deal getting fired by Bengals coach Marvin Lewis -- how has their defense been since? -- and after a year in Indy as an assistant, he's back as a coordinator. The Vikings players have raved about him, which is high praise considering he replaced Mike Tomlin.

Josh McDaniels, New England offensive coordinator: He's the man behind the curtain, the wizard behind the Patriots' high-scoring offense. Too bad nobody knows anything about him since he works for Bill Belichick. Is it easy calling plays with Tom Brady? Yes. But McDaniels also plays an up-tempo style that is always dictating to the other team.

Jim Schwartz, Tennessee defensive coordinator: He's had a head coaching interview, and almost landed the 49ers job a few years ago. But this year he has been doing a heck of a job. His Titans defensive front is playing great football, and he hascovered up for the loss of Pacman Jones at corner. I like the way he schemes a game. His defense leads the NFL in rushing yards allowed, giving up 63.8 per game.

Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis assistant head coach: He doesn't run the Colts offense, but everything you hear about Caldwell is that he's perfect for a head-coaching job. He has the right temperament for the job and many think he has a chance to succeed Tony Dungy when he retires. That is if somebody doesn't pick him up.

Actually the defense was pretty good in 2005, in 2006 we lost Odell so we had a set back, but I think it has to do with the players he has in Minnesota, they have spent alot first day picks on defense in the past few years and the players got Tomlin a head coaching job due their performance.

Coaching can only do so much, players have to make plays and when they do the coaches get called geniuses, silly right.

Coaching can only do so much, players have to make plays and when they do the coaches get called geniuses, silly right.

That's kinda the point, tho: the D got progressively better in 2003 and 2004 under Frazier, and he had jack divided by sh*t to work with.

Les will get his chance soon, I think.

I doubt that Chucky will be on anyone's list anytime in the near future.

Not true, he will, same as Leslie. Probably have success too, unlike here. What are the chances that a team's draft picks will disappear like ours have? We lose a number 1, a number 2, two number 3(Brooks now), Rucker last year and then have to find line backers that are available after the season starts, sitting on their couch all in 1+ seasons? Luck like that just isn't common.

It's kind of weird how Marvin let Frazier do the things he wanted and got the players he wanted. yet, he couldn't get he job done with what he had. Chuck comes in with the same players as Leslie had and is successful. Now, Chuck has his own guys and they're playing bad again. Which to me says they don't have any respect for him.

It also says that given any NFL team that suffers the injuries we have, are missing it's top defensive picks in recent drafts, are playing a young team, and have a glut of people that wouldn't start for most NFL teams, that you are going to sucks balls !!! That being said, we suck balls, or at least the team is what I'm saying...

WHODEY !!!