What's your take?

theinlawjosie

I was talking with my brother-in-law today (who happens to be a HUGE Bengals fan) and we were discussing the possibility of trading Rudi in the off season. The guy is a proven, powerful back but I just don't really see the need for him going into next year. Watson is a good back and from what I have seen of Irons I think they will make a nice running back by committe...I don't really see the need for Rudi and I think he would command decent compensation and we all know you guys could use some picks to spend on the defense or a good Linebacker or two, not that he would command that much, but hey...it's a start. :)

I can't see it happening, our cup should runeth over with complementary picks this year.

Besides which Rudi is pretty reliable if you intend to use two backs whereas 2-carry and IronMan are anything but.

Now OTOH if 3D gets some work this year and shows anything like his promise when he last played here last year then you may well see Rudi and/or 2-carry ride off into the sunset, not necessarily in that order. Rudi may depend more on us having, maybe in Daniel Burks or if not acquiring, a wrecking ball to complement the speedster.

I can't see Rudi at this point in career going for much more than a 4th or 5th rounder and as Zoner said, we've got plenty of picks in next years draft already.

The last thing we need next year is a bunch of un-proven rookies running around making the team even younger and less experienced than it already is. <_<

I can't see Rudi at this point in career going for much more than a 4th or 5th rounder and as Zoner said, we've got plenty of picks in next years draft already.

The last thing we need next year is a bunch of un-proven rookies running around making the team even younger and less experienced than it already is. <_<

Imagine having healthy in 2008, Rudi, C Perry and Irons as your backfield. What 3rd down conversion issue? Play action would return, nobody could play cover 2 and expect to win. Imagine having Henry, TJ and Chad as receivers with two of them getting man to man with no safety help. I like Rudi and still think he can be productive for another 2 or3 years. His touches will go down, but I think his yards per carry will jump up.

Imagine having healthy in 2008, Rudi, C Perry and Irons as your backfield. What 3rd down conversion issue? Play action would return, nobody could play cover 2 and expect to win. Imagine having Henry, TJ and Chad as receivers with two of them getting man to man with no safety help. I like Rudi and still think he can be productive for another 2 or3 years. His touches will go down, but I think his yards per carry will jump up.

I agree that Rudi can be productive for another 2 or 3 years, and I by no means have the knowledge of the Bengals that I need to actually try to give a solid rebutle. All I know is that Watson has two less yards on 37 less carries than Rudi....To be honest, I had never even really paid attention to Watson until last year, so I don't know if he can stay healthy or consistent, but if he can......I think it would be safe to let Rudi go, I know we wouldn't mind having him as a Jet! ;)

All I know is after the Chris Perry debaucle and Irons already hurt I don't count on either one of their sorry asses doing anything for this team ever.

It's not really fair to call them "sorry asses". Irons hasn't even gotten a chance to make a carry in the NFL. He could become one of the best backs in the NFL for all you know. And Perry has shown he can be very productive when he's on the field. To think it's their fault they get hurt? You think they want to get hurt so they won't have to play? Give me a break. "Sorry asses" is not a very fair assumption at all, sir.

All I know is after the Chris Perry debaucle and Irons already hurt I don't count on either one of their sorry asses doing anything for this team ever.

It's not really fair to call them "sorry asses". Irons hasn't even gotten a chance to make a carry in the NFL. He could become one of the best backs in the NFL for all you know. And Perry has shown he can be very productive when he's on the field. To think it's their fault they get hurt? You think they want to get hurt so they won't have to play? Give me a break. "Sorry asses" is not a very fair assumption at all, sir.

Kenny Irons...no. Chris Perry...hell yes. He's far to delicate to play in this league. His history since being the (wasted) #1 pick in '04 shows that without question IMHO.

Normally I would agree with the above, but this teams fate has yet to be determined and if things continue to go badly I think we're looking at a fairly substantial rebuild. It's already a very solid bet that numerous players (Justin, Madieu, Thornton, B-Rob, etc) will be allowed to leave in free agency, freeing up plenty of cap room for the Bengals to make move or two of their own, but the way the team looks right now it's fairly certain they'll have more holes to fill than draft picks.

from what I have seen of Irons I think they will make a nice running back by committe.

Speaking of RBs and ACLs together on a Bengals forum is about as bad as calling the team the 'Bungles.'

There is a painful history:

Ickey Woods.

Kijana Carter.

___________.

Next preseason we can fill in the blank with Kenny Irons.