Carson Palmer apologizing for uncharacteristic outbursts

BengalszoneBilly

It seems the edginess is running rampant everywhere! :rolleyes:

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer

AP - Oct 18, 4:10 pm EDT

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Carson Palmer is sorry.

Sorry that he blew up at receiver Chad Johnson for running the wrong route. Sorry that he's lost his cool during the Cincinnati Bengals' awful start. Sorry that his easygoing temperament has failed him on the field.

Not that anyone blames him.

The Pro Bowl MVP has vented his anger in the last two games, something quite out of character for the laid-back quarterback from California. A 1-4 start will do that.

"I think everybody's a little bit on edge around here," Palmer said. "We have boards in the offensive and defensive rooms, and every time you look up at them and see our production and our record there, you're just naturally on edge because you have such high expectations.

"I have lost my cool a couple of times, and I apologize for that. I'll try to contain myself and be calm."

Usually, Palmer is the club's voice of reason during tough times. When things go bad, he acknowledges the problems and accepts a bigger share of the blame than necessary. When teammates squabble, he tries to restore the peace.

Two notable exceptions have drawn attention and prompted those apologies.

During a 34-13 loss to New England, Johnson ran the wrong route near the goal line late in the first half, when the Bengals had a chance to keep the game close. After Palmer's throw was intercepted because Johnson wasn't where he should have been, the quarterback berated him on the field.

Johnson gave it back on the sideline, and was still jawing at the quarterback as they left the field for halftime.

Palmer was visibly angry again Sunday when his last throw was intercepted during a 27-20 loss at Kansas City. Palmer tried to get the ball to Johnson in a crowd, but the receiver slowed at the end of the route, setting up the interception.

"New England -- that was on me," Johnson said this week. "It's all on me. You can't blame him. He's the Golden Boy."

That's Johnson's nickname for the 2002 Heisman Trophy winner, one that's more good-natured than it sounds. What bothers Johnson, though, is that their outbursts are taken different ways these days.

When Palmer gets angry, it's a surprise. When Johnson vents, it's something else.

"As soon as I do show emotion, everybody's first word is 'selfish,"' Johnson said. "You all know Chad better than that. You've been around me long enough to know that I'm about winning and that's it. One-and-four, if that's not enough to be frustrated about, then I don't know what is."

There's more to it, of course.

Johnson draws attention to himself with his touchdown celebrations, his brash statements and his trash talking to opponents on the field. Sometimes, he'll be talking to an opposing player while his teammates are gathered on the field during a timeout.

When coach Marvin Lewis lashed out at his players for being "selfish" following the loss to New England, everyone thought about Johnson even though the coach didn't single anyone out. Johnson thinks there's a double standard among fans and the media because no one has called Palmer selfish for showing emotion.

"He's just like me," Johnson said. "What if he throws a bad ball, and I do the same thing? I get in trouble, right? Isn't that right? There it is, I'm telling you. I hate that."

Half of the equation should change. Palmer plans to leave the venting to the head coach.

"He's the one that if he's upset with an individual player or an individual referee that I've lost my cool on, I need to turn that over to him and try to stay calm and remain positive," Palmer said.

Palmer will be more selective in showing his displeasure from now on.

"I apologize for what I did in certain situations when there's cameras around and when there's people around, because that doesn't need to be seen," he said.

It seems the edginess is running rampant everywhere! :rolleyes:

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer

AP - Oct 18, 4:10 pm EDT

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Carson Palmer is sorry.

Sorry that he blew up at receiver Chad Johnson for running the wrong route. Sorry that he's lost his cool during the Cincinnati Bengals' awful start. Sorry that his easygoing temperament has failed him on the field.

Not that anyone blames him.

The Pro Bowl MVP has vented his anger in the last two games, something quite out of character for the laid-back quarterback from California. A 1-4 start will do that.

"I think everybody's a little bit on edge around here," Palmer said. "We have boards in the offensive and defensive rooms, and every time you look up at them and see our production and our record there, you're just naturally on edge because you have such high expectations.

"I have lost my cool a couple of times, and I apologize for that. I'll try to contain myself and be calm."

Usually, Palmer is the club's voice of reason during tough times. When things go bad, he acknowledges the problems and accepts a bigger share of the blame than necessary. When teammates squabble, he tries to restore the peace.

Two notable exceptions have drawn attention and prompted those apologies.

During a 34-13 loss to New England, Johnson ran the wrong route near the goal line late in the first half, when the Bengals had a chance to keep the game close. After Palmer's throw was intercepted because Johnson wasn't where he should have been, the quarterback berated him on the field.

Johnson gave it back on the sideline, and was still jawing at the quarterback as they left the field for halftime.

Palmer was visibly angry again Sunday when his last throw was intercepted during a 27-20 loss at Kansas City. Palmer tried to get the ball to Johnson in a crowd, but the receiver slowed at the end of the route, setting up the interception.

"New England -- that was on me," Johnson said this week. "It's all on me. You can't blame him. He's the Golden Boy."

That's Johnson's nickname for the 2002 Heisman Trophy winner, one that's more good-natured than it sounds. What bothers Johnson, though, is that their outbursts are taken different ways these days.

When Palmer gets angry, it's a surprise. When Johnson vents, it's something else.

"As soon as I do show emotion, everybody's first word is 'selfish,"' Johnson said. "You all know Chad better than that. You've been around me long enough to know that I'm about winning and that's it. One-and-four, if that's not enough to be frustrated about, then I don't know what is."

There's more to it, of course.

Johnson draws attention to himself with his touchdown celebrations, his brash statements and his trash talking to opponents on the field. Sometimes, he'll be talking to an opposing player while his teammates are gathered on the field during a timeout.

When coach Marvin Lewis lashed out at his players for being "selfish" following the loss to New England, everyone thought about Johnson even though the coach didn't single anyone out. Johnson thinks there's a double standard among fans and the media because no one has called Palmer selfish for showing emotion.

"He's just like me," Johnson said. "What if he throws a bad ball, and I do the same thing? I get in trouble, right? Isn't that right? There it is, I'm telling you. I hate that."

Half of the equation should change. Palmer plans to leave the venting to the head coach.

"He's the one that if he's upset with an individual player or an individual referee that I've lost my cool on, I need to turn that over to him and try to stay calm and remain positive," Palmer said.

Palmer will be more selective in showing his displeasure from now on.

"I apologize for what I did in certain situations when there's cameras around and when there's people around, because that doesn't need to be seen," he said.

At a time when everyone is frustrated and upset, you need your leader on the field to stand above the crowd.

This shows maturity and a touch of class.....respect CP

:cheers: Chandon

What'd I say? Winning and that's it fellas!!!

Blah blah blah I'm sorry blah blah golden boy blah blah frustrated blah blah blah blah I'm all about winning games blah blah blah blah blah....

Chad, Carson, we don't care. Beat the Jets this Sunday.

I get your point, but with all of the whining from fans and criticism from the national media, it seems pretty obvious to me that people do care.

Blah blah blah I'm sorry blah blah golden boy blah blah frustrated blah blah blah blah I'm all about winning games blah blah blah blah blah....

I get your point, but with all of the whining from fans and criticism from the national media, it seems pretty obvious to me that people do care.

Agree - I think it was an obvious and easy story to put together for Joe Kay - and I think lots of people will read it. I think most folks that follow the Bengals, however, are becoming very jaded to the drama.

Agree - I think it was an obvious and easy story to put together for Joe Kay - and I think lots of people will read it. I think most folks that follow the Bengals, however, are becoming very jaded to the drama.

Carson should quit apologizing for being a human being, as human beings tend to get emotional when something they care about is not going the way they planned. I understand that he's supposed to be the rock steady guy who's never too excited or too depressed, I get that...But the guy is human and the way the season as gone so far would make the most mild mannered guy, Carson Palmer, lose his cool every now and again.

Carson no need to apologize, just take the check down receiver instead of trying to force the ball to Chad every 3 plays.. :P

Also I think Chad raises a valid point about fans and the media not criticizing Carson for his mistakes the same way others get it. Maybe Chad gets more than he deserves because of his shameless self-promotion, but a brothas got to supplement his income somehow, right?

As a fan I would rather see Chad doing endorsements he got due to his self-promotion than to see him holding out because his contract makes him underpaid, wouldn't you???

Carson should quit apologizing for being a human being, as human beings tend to get emotional when something they care about is not going the way they planned. I understand that he's supposed to be the rock steady guy who's never too excited or too depressed, I get that...But the guy is human and the way the season as gone so far would make the most mild mannered guy, Carson Palmer, lose his cool every now and again.

Carson no need to apologize, just take the check down receiver instead of trying to force the ball to Chad every 3 plays.. :P

Also I think Chad raises a valid point about fans and the media not criticizing Carson for his mistakes the same way others get it. Maybe Chad gets more than he deserves because of his shameless self-promotion, but a brothas got to supplement his income somehow, right?

As a fan I would rather see Chad doing endorsements he got due to his self-promotion than to see him holding out because his contract makes him underpaid, wouldn't you???

You've been listening to Lance McAllister too much man!

You've been listening to Lance McAllister too much man!

Why do you say that?

Also I think Chad raises a valid point about fans and the media not criticizing Carson for his mistakes the same way others get it.

A fair point. Palmer has received plenty of criticism recently but none of it relates to him being selfish...just playing poorer than expected. But how suprising is that when you consider the mature way he carries himself compared to a Chad Johnson or a Levi Jones?

People tend to respond in kind, right?

Personally, I've been taking shots at Palmer's play since last year, around mid-season. Now familiar sounding rants about forced throws, overthrown balls, and horrible production on 3rd down. But while I can criticize his play I can't bring myself to criticize his demeanor or his attempts to lead. And there's the rub.

Also I think Chad raises a valid point about fans and the media not criticizing Carson for his mistakes the same way others get it.

A fair point. Palmer has received plenty of criticism recently but none of it relates to him being selfish...just playing poorer than expected. But how suprising is that when you consider the mature way he carries himself compared to a Chad Johnson or a Levi Jones?

People tend to respond in kind, right?

Personally, I've been taking shots at Palmer's play since last year, around mid-season. Now familiar sounding rants about forced throws, overthrown balls, and horrible production on 3rd down. But while I can criticize his play I can't bring myself to criticize his demeanor or his attempts to lead. And there's the rub.

not for nothing, going forward whenever I hear the phrase "And there's the rub" I will think of Hair on Fire..you should get that phrase copyrighted..lol