5 that would have made a difference

gozz2403

not trying to be a jerk but this is ridiculous, hindsight is always 20/20.

to say that this team will never reach it's potential is also ridiculous, you don't know what this team can do. If you don't like the owner and the coach and you think they are just going to waste away why r u even a fan?

I'm kinda leaning this way. It's simply not fair to substitute your judgment after watching what guys have done in the league for a few years for moves made at that time. Cherry picking may be fun, but it's not realistic.

Very true. But I'll bet there were guys that were one each of our own lists at the time though. Personally I think they have neglected the D-line at the top of the draft and it shows.

I know I wanted them to take Marcus Spears instead of Pollack in '05 and Vince Wilfork in 04 instead of trading down for C. Perry at the time. I think Perry was an unnecessary luxury when they already had a good offense and defense was in need of help.

Re patternmaster & BBTB...guess you missed the part where gozz admitted to begin with that he was second-guessing things?

Sheesh...:rolleyes:

Okay, then the point again was?????

That sports message boards are in large part about second-guessing and hindsight. I mean, if we are going to declare looking backward illegal, we may as well shut the place down, right?

Not illegal -- just largely pointless. Also, just about any semi-literate casual fan could engage in the after-the-factery. So, I simply find it "meh."

What does Hobson say when people ask about having no scouts? I am sure he has some idiot response but i wanted to know if he has responded to this in the past. Worthless reading, but i almost enjoy getting a chuckle out of the guy attempting to make an argument which is totally one sided while trying to keep himself looking even handed.

It would have been nice to have some of those players and not some of the 1's we have, but it is what it is...The reality is those picks we did get have definately hurt this team, no CHenry, OThurman suspended and others just not playing to potential the OThurman suspension really hurt we have not been the same on D since...Players getting hurt has not helped this team either from KIrons CPerry DWeathersby DPollack, when drafting that is just the chance you take...

I don't think there's anything wrong at all with the original post. If you cherry-pick one player here or there (like Tom Brady), then yes, the argument is goofy. But you see a consistent pattern of the Bengals overlooking quality players for ones who didn't cut it, the pattern is hard to ignore. I remember the Enquirer doing a great analysis of this in the pre-Marvin era (I can't remember, but I want to say it was around the time when they uncovered the reality about how the Brown family stocked away cash -- possibly illegally -- to make sure that they stayed as majority owners).

Here's a good article from the Indy Star (via Lance's blog) that outlines the difference between the Bengals and teams who draft, sign, and coach smartly:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...348/1247/SPORTS

They come from everywhere, these Indianapolis Colts. Most of them come from the BCS-level schools, the football factories. Some of them come from the smaller schools, the non-traditional talent pools: Robert Mathis from Alabama A&M; Antoine Bethea from Howard. And then there are the two running backs who filled in so nobly for injured starter Joseph Addai, propelling the Colts to another overwhelming victory, this one over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Kenton Keith, former Saskatchewan RoughRiders running back, plucked out of the Canadian Football League.

Clifton Dawson, owner of an economics degree from Harvard, which is a great thing on a resume, but doesn't do a guy much good when Bucs linebacker

Derrick Brooks is running you down.

Kenton and Clifton. Sounds like two of the Huxtable kids, doesn't it?

If you want to know why the Colts have become the gold standard in the National Football League, consider how they rolled Tampa Bay on Sunday with six starters on the sidelines. The front office doesn't only hit on most of its first-day draft picks, but it has a ridiculous success rate on the second day, and they do a better job with undrafted free agents than anybody in the league.

No Joseph Addai-Marvin Harrison-Bob Sanders-Ben Utecht-Aaron Moorehead-T.J. Rushing-Rob Morris-Freddy Keiaho?

No problem.

"It's a tribute to the scouting staff, unearthing those guys,'' team president Bill Polian said in the locker room. "Second, it's a tribute to the coaching staff, and most of all, Tony (Dungy). If a guy can play, it doesn't matter to Tony where he comes from or what his pedigree is.''