Odell's Future

Spor_tees

I know we have had several threads discussing Odell's future with the Bengals, and Chris Henry's for that matter. One thing that has never been brought up is the exact details of the substance abuse program in the NFL. I, and I think several other people on this board were under the impression that once a player entered the NFL substance abuse program they were always in it. Well I was reading the article about Travis Henry on ESPN.com and found this little nugget about the substance abuse program:

Henry, 28, was suspended by the league for four games in 2005 because of a repeat violation of the substance abuse policy. The substance for which he tested positive on that occasion is not known. Under league guidelines, another test within a two-year period would trigger a one-year suspension. Henry would then have to apply for reinstatement and his compliance with the treatment program prescribed for him would be reviewed.

Under the two-year policy, which essentially wipes a player's slate clean, Henry was scheduled to rotate out of the substance abuse program on Oct. 1. But his lawsuit to block further testing of his urine sample was filed Sept. 20, indicating that the positive test occurred before Oct. 1.

So, if a player is clean for two years following their last positive test, then their slate is wiped clean and they go back to stage one of the program. If this is truly the policy, if Odell has been clean his entire suspension, then that means by the time he gets re-instated, he will be back at stage one of the program. This does put my mind a little at ease knowing that a player doesn't have to go their entire career sitting on the edge of a lifetime suspension because of something that happened at the beginning of their career. Henry's might be a little different because his is from the league discipline system and not just substance abuse. I'm still not sure how long a player has to be out of trouble to start at square one, or if there is even a provision like that.

Just thought I would pass this little nugget along in case some of you missed it.

:sure:

I know we have had several threads discussing Odell's future with the Bengals, and Chris Henry's for that matter. One thing that has never been brought up is the exact details of the substance abuse program in the NFL. I, and I think several other people on this board were under the impression that once a player entered the NFL substance abuse program they were always in it. Well I was reading the article about Travis Henry on ESPN.com and found this little nugget about the substance abuse program:

Henry, 28, was suspended by the league for four games in 2005 because of a repeat violation of the substance abuse policy. The substance for which he tested positive on that occasion is not known. Under league guidelines, another test within a two-year period would trigger a one-year suspension. Henry would then have to apply for reinstatement and his compliance with the treatment program prescribed for him would be reviewed.

Under the two-year policy, which essentially wipes a player's slate clean, Henry was scheduled to rotate out of the substance abuse program on Oct. 1. But his lawsuit to block further testing of his urine sample was filed Sept. 20, indicating that the positive test occurred before Oct. 1.

So, if a player is clean for two years following their last positive test, then their slate is wiped clean and they go back to stage one of the program. If this is truly the policy, if Odell has been clean his entire suspension, then that means by the time he gets re-instated, he will be back at stage one of the program. This does put my mind a little at ease knowing that a player doesn't have to go their entire career sitting on the edge of a lifetime suspension because of something that happened at the beginning of their career. Henry's might be a little different because his is from the league discipline system and not just substance abuse. I'm still not sure how long a player has to be out of trouble to start at square one, or if there is even a provision like that.

Just thought I would pass this little nugget along in case some of you missed it.

IMHO this "policy" is so utterly lenient, it's ludicrous and almost begs for abuse. In my occupation as an aviation technician who works under the guidelines set by the Federal Aviation Administration, it's pretty much one failed test, and your career is toast. There is no means of wiping clean of any slates either.

IMHO this "policy" is so utterly lenient, it's ludicrous and almost begs for abuse. In my occupation as an aviation technician who works under the guidelines set by the Federal Aviation Administration, it's pretty much one failed test, and your career is toast. There is no means of wiping clean of any slates either.

OK, so we're agreed - Odell doesn't have a future career as an air traffic controller. :D

Noticed a little tidbit on PFT this morning about Koren Robinson filing for reinstatement. If that guy gets reinstated while we have a "healthy" LB just sitting on his ass in Georgia I think I might blow a gasket :blowup2:

No Doubt o_O,Even after not playing for 2 years I'll still welcome Odell back with how our LB's look

That`s if a player is in stage 2. If a player is in stage 3, which Odell is,

they remain in stage 3 for the remainder of their career.

Check out page 18 of the Drug Policy . . .

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2007.pdf

Also, Henry is on his last chance too. Goodell told him as much

when he suspended him.

That`s if a player is in stage 2. If a player is in stage 3, which Odell is,

they remain in stage 3 for the remainder of their career.

Check out page 18 of the Drug Policy . . .

http://www.nflpa.org/pdfs/RulesAndRegs/Drug_Policy_2007.pdf

Also, Henry is on his last chance too. Goodell told him as much

when he suspended him.

ESPN got it wrong then.

ESPN got it wrong then.

Actually they got it right. Travis Henry was/is in stage 2 of the substance

abuse policy. That happened when he was suspended for 4 games.

He is about to enter stage 3, that`s why he`s facing a year suspension, like Odell got.

If you`re still in stage 2, you can get it reduced to stage 1 if

you stay clean. If you`re in stage 3, you stay in stage 3.