Sad Story about Former Bengal

Spor_tees

I don't know if any of you guys have been paying attention to some of the former NFL player's plights to change the structure of the NFLPA benefits for retired players, but there was an article on ESPN detailing the plight of former Bengals OL Brian DeMarco and how he became homeless because he can not work and he spent all his money on medical bills that the NFL would not cover because he was too young. Actually a pretty sad story, but what I don't understand is how these guys can't keep insurance? I mean even people that are unemployed can buy medical insurance.

DeMarco Article @ ESPN.com

Actually a pretty sad story, but what I don't understand is how these guys can't keep insurance? I mean even people that are unemployed can buy medical insurance.

I didn't see the story, but I'll bet it's something like a pre-existing condition. If you have a degenerative disease already, you either are prohibited from buying from some companies or it's price prohibitive.

There have to be some insurance guys here. Chime in.

Actually a pretty sad story, but what I don't understand is how these guys can't keep insurance? I mean even people that are unemployed can buy medical insurance.

I didn't see the story, but I'll bet it's something like a pre-existing condition. If you have a degenerative disease already, you either are prohibited from buying from some companies or it's price prohibitive.

There have to be some insurance guys here. Chime in.

I'm not an insurance guy but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so here's my 2 cents. For all of the money generated by the NFL there is no reason why former players should have to go through this, this is deporable and shines a bad light on NFL and the players union.

One of the reasons why NFL players make so much is because of the health risk involved in playing in the NFL, the life expectantacy for NFL is well below the national average. Especailly when you consider that these guys are good overall shape it proves that playing in the NFL takes years off of your life. The NFL has a responsiblity to former players and part of that responsibility should be offer them healthcare coverage once their playing days are over.

Yes it would incur a cost to ownership but these are peoples lives we're talking about here. If Goodell wants really make some significant changes to the NFL he should do something to protect former players and revise the company policy on concussions. Stop playing with peoples lives and treat them respect and diginty by being truthful about the effects of playing in the NFL.

Also there will always be someone who wants more, it's called greed and it's a basic human emotion that has been around for quite some time. Greed is what stopping the NFL from giving former players comprehensive health coverage and it's a shame because the NFL is experiencing it's most successful period ever with billion dollar TV contracts, it's own TV network, games being played overseas, and lucrative pay-per view contracts; just to name a few of the NFL's revenue sources. My point is the money is there, it's just not going to the people who need it the most.

Yes with all the dollars generated, the nflpa should take care of tenured players who retire. But the NFLPA only represents current members. So, the only people to blame are the former players who did take steps to protect their furture when they were members. It was all give me the money now. Then they spent it and now complain that in essence they didnt protect themselves. Sad.

It appears the union hasn't been quite as greedy as it's being made out to be...still, long-term health coverage is a good idea.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2901302

Yeah, it sounds like this guy might be milking it for the press and some "go away" money. If former teammates are hooking him up with jobs and he's blowing them off, I'm not feeling sympathetic.