Earnhardt Jr. to leave DEI after season

BengalszoneBilly

From Yahoo Sports:

Earnhardt Jr. to leave DEI after season By JENNA FRYER, AP Auto Racing Writer

MOORESVILLE, N.C. - Dale Earnhardt Jr. will leave the company founded by his late father at the end of the year in a shake-up certain to ignite a bidding war for NASCAR's most popular driver. He told Dale Earnhardt Inc. on Thursday that he had decided to make the switch to another team when his contract expires, intent on going to a more competitive team.

"At 32 years of age, the same age my father was when he made his final and most important career decision, it's time for me to compete on a consistent basis and contend for championships now," Earnhardt said at a news conference. "I believe I'd have my father's blessing."

Earnhardt had asked for 51 percent ownership of the team now run by his stepmother, Teresa. Negotiations on a contract extension began before the season and have been tense all along. Earnhardt's sister, Kelley Earnhardt Elledge, had set a deadline to get the deal done by the end of the month.

"We never even got close," Earnhardt said from the JR Motorsports shop in Mooresville.

He stressed money is not the issue.

"It's not the guy who gives me the biggest paycheck. It's the person I feel like will allow me to accomplish what I want to in my career, on the race track, in this shop itself," he said. "There's some things you can't get with money, peace of mind and satisfaction in what you do everyday. ... I'm seeking to have that peace of mind and that comfort to be able to really be an asset to somebody. I want to go somewhere and really make things happen for somebody."

Sitting next to his sister and wearing a T-shirt and an open collared shirt, Earnhardt said he leaves DEI with mixed emotions.

"I'm sad that I have to leave some employees that I got close to, leave some relationships," he said. "We're going to finish this year out, and I told my guys we're going to run hard. I don't want any excuses for us not giving our best effort. I plan on giving everything I've got like I always do, and hopefully that's what I'll get in return."

In a statement, Teresa Earnhardt said DEI will thrive without Junior.

"While we are very disappointed that Dale Jr. has chosen to leave the family business, we remain excited about our company's future," she said. "Dale and I built this company to be a championship contender, and those principles still apply. Dale Earnhardt Inc. will win. ... This company has a great legacy and a bright future, built on loyalty, integrity and commitment."

Earnhardt said Teresa Earnhardt wasn't surprised when he told her of his decision.

"I think now she's looking around the corner to do what she needs to do to prepare her company and everything there for 2008," he said.

Earnhardt, too, must decide what's best for his future. He said he would like to continue to drive Chevrolets, which will limit his options. It's also likely his primary sponsor, Budweiser, will move with him to the new team.

"I believe our first choice would be to drive for another top, competitive team," Elledge said. "Our last choice would be to form our own Cup team. If that was necessary, that would be what we would do."

"We're going to listen to everybody," Earnhardt added.

One possible suitor is Richard Childress Racing, always considered the most logical place for Junior to go. Childress and Dale Earnhardt Sr. were extremely close, and Junior has maintained a relationship with the car owner.

That makes sense to Darrell Waltrip, one of Dale Earnhardt Sr.'s friendly rivals who traveled from Nashville at Earnhardt's request to join him for Thursday's announcement.

"I've always thought RCR just because of the Childress-Earnhardt relationship," Waltrip said. "I personally have always thought the racing world would be right if Dale Earnhardt Jr. drove the black No. 3 car."

RCR can add him as the fourth and final team NASCAR permits each owner. It would team him with Kevin Harvick, who replaced the elder Earnhardt following his 2001 death, and has openly invited Junior to join the organization.

"I've got to do a little soul searching on how I feel driving the No. 3 car," Earnhardt said.

It's also possible that RCR would lease JR Motorsports its engines should Earnhardt field his own team.

So could Hendrick Motorsports.

One of three Chevrolet teams better than DEI, Hendrick Motorsports has no room in its stable for Earnhardt.

Hendrick, winner of seven of the past eight Cup races, is already maxed out with four teams but could assist Earnhardt by leasing him engines. Hendrick already leases motors to Ginn Racing and Haas-CNC Racing, and Earnhardt recently got to feel their horsepower when he jumped into Kyle Busch's car during a race last month.

The wildcard could be Joe Gibbs Racing, another powerful three-car Chevy team that would pair him with buddies Tony Stewart and Denny Hamlin. Earnhardt and Stewart have worked wonderfully together on restrictor plate tracks, and Earnhardt befriended Hamlin early in his career.

Gibbs is coach of the Washington Redskins, and Earnhardt is die-hard fan. He wore a Redskins cap backward Monday during a test session at Lowe's Motor Speedway, where he expressed frustration over the NASCAR-mandated Car of Tomorrow and admitted DEI can't keep up with Hendrick's COT program.

"There are a lot of logical scenarios that people are going to put together," Earnhardt said. "We've seen quite a few scenarios over the last couple of days that were kind of amusing. Some right, some not so right."

Earnhardt and Elledge have been adamant their only goal is to help Junior win Cup championships, something he's been unable to do at DEI. He hasn't been a legitimate title contender since 2004. In 2005, he had a horrendous season when Teresa Earnhardt split up his crew, and he failed to make the Chase for the championship.

He rebounded last year by making the Chase, but was never a threat for the title.

"I am a little sad, but I am trying to remind myself to be excited about what's ahead," Earnhardt said.

Truthfully I'm a little shocked! DEI without Junior just won't be DEI in my eyes. <_<

The bidding war that is going to ensue for his services will only make the most overrated NASCAR driver a lot of money. 17 wins, 0 Championships and 4 time Favorite Driver somehow makes him the most sought after driver in NASCAR history. Please!!! He does not deserve it nor the fan base he inherited because of his name. Until he proves himself worthy, he is a second tiered driver in my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Junior is about to announce his plans today, and rumour has it that he's going to be Jeff Gordon's teammate at Hendricks! Talk about two worlds who really don't like each other colliding!! :lol:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. has decided where he will drive next season, and all signs point to Hendrick Motorsports.

NASCAR's most popular driver called a Wednesday news conference at his race shop, JR Motorsports, and spokesman Mike Davis said it was to announce his plans for 2008 and beyond.

Jr. racing with Hendrick motorsports!

This surprises me.

It also puts a tremendous amount of pressure on Jr. to actually become the driver that some think he could be. If all he can do is win the occasional race with Hendrick everyone will know it has nothing to do with the equipment.

Another development is Kyle Busch going to DEI, What if he wins a championship and Jr. never does?

I will be anxiously awaiting next season to see if Jr. falls on his face or rises to the challenge. My guess would be he will not win more than 1-2 races, his average for his carreer.

Wow, Jr and Jeff G. are now team mates. Did they announce what number he will be?

From what I understand he will still the #8 Budwieser Chevy. Where Junior goes, Bud will follow.

Yeah, I figured that Bud would follow him. And the way Hendrick pretty much said that Junior's style is Junior's style made me think that Hendrick was going relax his business dress standards. I couldn't picture Dale Jr. wearing slacks and a Bud polo.

I just wasn't sure that DEI would release the number to Hendrick.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, Jr and Jeff G. are now team mates. Did they announce what number he will be?

From what I understand he will still the #8 Budwieser Chevy. Where Junior goes, Bud will follow.

Oops! I was way wrong on that. I just heard Junior will NOT be driving the #8 Budweiser Chevy next season. His new sponsor will be Sony Electronics, and I'm not even sure about what car number he'll get, but most likely it'll be the #5 that Kyle Busch is getting out of.

Where have you heard he will race Sony? To me Bud has made it clear from the beginning where Jr. goes they will follow and I don't think Hendrick would mind having Bud back as a sponsor again.

Yeah, I haven't heard this news yet but that is not saying much cause I am not a die hard fan. I would think news like this would be all over the place though.

I would never question your knowledge of Nascar, Billy...I would just like a link or something so I can harass the local Jr fans in my office. :D

Where have you heard he will race Sony? To me Bud has made it clear from the beginning where Jr. goes they will follow and I don't think Hendrick would mind having Bud back as a sponsor again.

Yeah, I haven't heard this news yet but that is not saying much cause I am not a die hard fan. I would think news like this would be all over the place though.

I would never question your knowledge of Nascar, Billy...I would just like a link or something so I can harass the local Jr fans in my office. :D

I saw it in an interview with him on TV. I'll look for a link for you guys.

• 3 weeks later...

He'll be driving a Pepsi or Mountain Dew car for most of the season. I also believe he'll be driving the 25 and Mears will move to the 5. Somehow someway there is a link between Earnhardt Sr and the 25 car like it was the first car Hendrix got a win in from Earnhardt, or something like that.

He'll be driving a Pepsi or Mountain Dew car for most of the season. I also believe he'll be driving the 25 and Mears will move to the 5. Somehow someway there is a link between Earnhardt Sr and the 25 car like it was the first car Hendrix got a win in from Earnhardt, or something like that.

Don't be surprised to see the big-wigs in Nascar to cut Junior some slack and let him keep the #8.

Don't be surprised to see the big-wigs in Nascar to cut Junior some slack and let him keep the #8.

Wouldn't surprise me, NASCAR knows were their bread is buttered. I just wish they would cut ties with the company that owns all the race tracks. They are all becoming cookie cutter 1.5 milers. Sort of like those horrible baseball stadiums of teh 70's.

Wouldn't surprise me, NASCAR knows were their bread is buttered. I just wish they would cut ties with the company that owns all the race tracks. They are all becoming cookie cutter 1.5 milers. Sort of like those horrible baseball stadiums of teh 70's.

I know you're not talking about old Riverfront Stadium. I LOVED that place. In fact I still miss even the even older Crosley Field.

StadiumsCrosleyField_photo2.jpg

A lot of great Cincinnati Reds history was made in those venues, but seeing how this is my sacred Nascar Forum, I shall not delve into that here. B)

Yeap. I suspect Mountain Dew will be the primary and Pespi will remain, mostly, with Gordon. However, I think pressure will force DEI to hand over, with a substantial cash amount (which NASCAR already said won't get involved with) to keep the #8.

Like you said, I also believe that Mears goes to the #5 with Kellogg and Jr. either drives the 8 or the 25.

Sony and Adidas are personal sponsors, I don't believe they are car sponsors.

NASCAR about two weeks ago sent out a reminder to both teams that they assign numbers on an annual basis and that the number is not for sale. It's up to NASCAR to give the #8 to Hendricks racing not for them to buy it. The only number owned by a team in NASCAR is the #3. Which surprises me that the #43 isn't owned by Petty but it's not.

NASCAR about two weeks ago sent out a reminder to both teams that they assign numbers on an annual basis and that the number is not for sale. It's up to NASCAR to give the #8 to Hendricks racing not for them to buy it.

True. But NASCAR won't stop or block any financial transfer either.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?s...&id=2922535

There is nothing keeping Hendrick Motorsports from buying the No. 8 from Dale Earnhardt Inc. as long as NASCAR approves the transfer of the number.

While NASCAR owns all numbers and issues them to organizations on an annual basis, teams sell numbers all the time.

NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said it is unlikely the governing body would prevent such a transfer, adding the financial terms are not a concern.

The only number owned by a team in NASCAR is the #3. Which surprises me that the #43 isn't owned by Petty but it's not.

I'm not sure if that's true or not, or if NASCAR just hands out the #3 to RCR (like most numbers for superstars to owners) and Childress chooses not to use it. If that were the case, then #43 not owned by Petty makes sense.