Paul Posluszny

I've gone back and forth on how I feel about this guy. I think at this point I have settled that he is to be taken no higher than 18 ... so, yeah, he could come to us, but ONLY if there are no surprise picks or trades in front of us.

I live near Penn State and follow them closely. This guy can play some great D. He is predicted to go around the 20 pick so we might have a chance to get him. The ? is should we? I would like Cincy to get him!!!!!!!!!

From what I've seen - not as much as you, certainly - he seems like Justin Smith at LB, with all the good and bad that goes with it. Has he regained his speed after the injury? After that, he seemed like a "motor" guy. Love the effort, but not sure of the ability to be a force in the NFL.

Well, I think I heard around Pittsburgh that Jack Hamm has been quoted as saying that this guy is the best at the position that he has seen at Penn State. That is saying a lot for the quote coming from Jack Hamm, for him referring to PSU, and for him being a color commentary guy for the games. Then again, he might be blowing smoke ... but I have listened to Hamm a lot around here and he typically knows what he is talking about ... not normally just a blind homer.

I'm a farily big Pos fan... not based on '06, but the year before. He was an absolute beast in '05, and I think his knee injury held him back significantly last year. If he's healed, I think he could be a good pick.

I'm just not sold that he's worth the 18th overall pick. I'd much rather trade down if the Bengals plan on selecting him - but trading down is going to be much easier said than done this year.

Maybe he is the real deal. We could use a playmaker on defense for sure.

However, not to discredit the entire program but Penn State doesn't seem to have the star power they had 20+ years ago. Who was that defensve tackle a few years ago that was supposed to be a top 5 pick? He was a guy I was hoping they would take before Palmer moved to the front of the pack in the 2003 draft. And now I can't even remember his name. (BTW, I looked it up. His name is Jimmy Kennedy and he was taken by the Rams with the 12th pick in the first round).

That's just one example but I hope this guy isn't a "system" guy and can make that transition to the pros if we take him.

I'm just not totally sold on Pos being able to fill a position of need. I'm still hoping that we're going to see Odell back and, if all goes right, playing on the weak side to Ahmad Brooks' middle.

Of course, that's just me and I've only read other speculation regarding this possibility.

I'd just much rather have a corner in the first I guess - maybe because it allows me to stay optimistic about Odell coming back.

I'm not sold that the Bengals should look at anything other cornerback. As much as we despised James, what ifs aside, he was a starter. He's gone. The variable with Deltha O'Neal (dropping this dark side BS) compounds this position's sudden vulnerabilities. Ratliff? Hummm... maybe. But the eye of beholder dictates that evaluation.

Linebacker will be fine (especially if Brooks is as awesome as Hobson makes him out to be). It could improve, yes. But cornerback is suddenly "in need".

CRAP. I hate it when people take a perfectly good thread and hijack it to something completely different. My bad fellas.

Well, I think I heard around Pittsburgh that Jack Hamm has been quoted as saying that this guy is the best at the position that he has seen at Penn State. That is saying a lot for the quote coming from Jack Hamm, for him referring to PSU, and for him being a color commentary guy for the games. Then again, he might be blowing smoke ... but I have listened to Hamm a lot around here and he typically knows what he is talking about ... not normally just a blind homer.

Ronnie Lott said the same thing about Darnell Bing last year, Lott called him the best safety to play at USC. Well the NFL disagreed with Lott's assessment and now Bing is a lb. My point is Jack Hamm isn't a scout or GM, so his opinion is about as good as yours or mine. Pos is good, but he may be step slow after the knee injury. With that said I wouldn't mind if he was our first round pick, he has solid written all over him.