What if . . .

kzba

Imagine the following off season scenario. I think it is realistic, and far better for the Bengals than their current do nothing approach.

First we trade Justin Smith and a fourth round draft pick to the Lions for Patrick Dre Bly (just to be on the safe side, lets also assume we swap our second for their third round draft pick as well).

Then, we sign him to a deal similar to the deal which he signed with the Broncos (5 yrs 33 Million dollars), saving two million dollars in cap space. We also solidify our secondary for the long term. So what if we lose a good, but very overpaid player, who'll probaly be gone next year anyway?

We use the two million dollars to sign a playmaking linebacker to a dealth worth about 4 - 5 million annually, cut Brian Simmons to make up for the difference, and if we have money left over resign Kase (although we probably wouldn't).

Then we trade Deltha O'neal to the Falcons for a third or even fourth round draft pick since he becomes expendable. This helps to make up for the pick we sent to the Lions.

Finally, we use our first round draft pick to draft a DE (their are many good ones in this draft) to replace Smith.

This scenario would solidy our secondary, give us the experience we need at LB, and take care of the Justin Smith problem (don't get me wrong, he's a good player, but not worth 8.6 million dollars, and I doubt we'll agree to a long term contract next year either).

Any comments?

First we trade Justin Smith and a fourth round draft pick to the Lions for Patrick Dre Bly (just to be on the safe side, lets also assume we swap our second for their third round draft pick as well).

Get this guy a GM JOB! I woulden't trade justin strait up for bly. toss in a 3rd? F that.