Any advice?

WhoDeyForever

Well I got this 15 year old yorkshire terrier..His name is Mister..I have had him my whole life..He has always been where I have been..My mom first got him and he has became attached to her and he has become a family member to our family...In the past couple months though he has not been doing so well, most of the time he does not know where he is at and just stands there..He also has a really bad cough and gets sick sometimes..My parents and I are trying to decide if we want to put him down or just wait untill he dies..We really dont know what to do...We got 2 new puppies about 2 months ago to try and settle this down so it isnt as hard on us when he does pass..Any advice guys?

rough situation to be on my 13 year old lab passed away on his own this last fall, we were going to try to put him under before the winter was over. but still sad since i was away at school at the time. there isnt really a right dession. i mean is he really still living a worthwhile life in that condition but he still a loved family member. sorry man... :(

rough situation to be on my 13 year old lab passed away on his own this last fall, we were going to try to put him under before the winter was over. but still sad since i was away at school at the time. there isnt really a right dession. i mean is he really still living a worthwhile life in that condition but he still a loved family member. sorry man... :(

Sorry to hear that. The way i see it is, is that I would rather live the rest of his life but my parents think different...It would be pretty sad to come home to see your dog lying dead on the floor...But if we were to put him to sleep at least he would not be living in such pain..

Well I got this 15 year old yorkshire terrier..His name is Mister..I have had him my whole life..He has always been where I have been..My mom first got him and he has became attached to her and he has become a family member to our family...In the past couple months though he has not been doing so well, most of the time he does not know where he is at and just stands there..He also has a really bad cough and gets sick sometimes..My parents and I are trying to decide if we want to put him down or just wait untill he dies..We really dont know what to do...We got 2 new puppies about 2 months ago to try and settle this down so it isnt as hard on us when he does pass..Any advice guys?

I use to raise yorkies and let me say 1st they are the best dog's you could own and I have been in your shoes and have had a yorkie get sick and watching them die is not easy, so my advise to you is put him down, yeh I know it will not be easy but it will be the best thing for him.

You know when it's time to put a dog down.

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a half lab/half dalmation that's about 2 or 3 years old. I love this dog, but he's a little schitzy. My baby girl just started crawling and he's acting a little weird around her, not really aggressive, but schitzy. This dog loves me and my fiance and no one else, so I can't give him away. He just will not let anyone else close to him.

I really don't want to put him down because he's such a good dog to me and he's young. I don't know what to do, I don't think I can kill him and I can't give him away because he doesn't take up to new people very well. ???

You know when it's time to put a dog down.

I'm kinda in the same situation. I have a half lab/half dalmation that's about 2 or 3 years old. I love this dog, but he's a little schitzy. My baby girl just started crawling and he's acting a little weird around her, not really aggressive, but schitzy. This dog loves me and my fiance and no one else, so I can't give him away. He just will not let anyone else close to him.

I really don't want to put him down because he's such a good dog to me and he's young. I don't know what to do, I don't think I can kill him and I can't give him away because he doesn't take up to new people very well. ???

You're in a tough spot, but I wouldn't kill the dog. At least give him a chance at the pound.

...But if we were to put him to sleep at least he would not be living in such pain..

My wife and I own a veterinary clinic so I deal with this issue every day. But even with all of our experience, or maybe because of it, when we were faced with making a choice it was still one of the most difficult decisions we ever had to face. I agonized over the decision daily for several months, and tried my best to always do the right thing for my dog. But in perfect hindsight I can tell you that you don't always know when the time is right, and if I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have fought so hard for her and wouldn't have put her through everything I did. I should have been strong enough to let her go earlier than I did, but I kept telling myself that if she had any more good days left in her then I wasn't going to cheat her out of them. Sadly, she didn't.

If you're dog is in constant pain you need to realize that putting him to sleep isn't cheating him out of whatever time he has left. It's a gift.

I just put my dog down a couple weeks ago that has been around my whole life(reason for my lack of activity here) and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. But it was for the best, because my dog stopped eating, and was suffering from arthritis. If you love your dog you wont want it to be sufffering, but living a happy life in dog heaven. THe vets I went to say it is so hard to do for them, even though they do it all the time it is the hardest things to do. It is a sad expierence.

I grew up on a farm, so my answer is to take care of the poblem yourself. You owe your dog the respect of ending his life quickly and with as little pain and suffering as possible, this does not include taking the dog to a place he hates and allowing someone else to do the deed for you.

I realize this option is not available to most but it is the best option for people in my situation.

I grew up on a farm, so my answer is to take care of the poblem yourself. You owe your dog the respect of ending his life quickly and with as little pain and suffering as possible, this does not include taking the dog to a place he hates and allowing someone else to do the deed for you.

I realize this option is not available to most but it is the best option for people in my situation.

I feel ya on that man. My dad had to kill one of my cousin/granma's dogs. .22 to the back of the head, killed her instantly! No pain, no nothing, just dead... Dad said it was definitely very hard to do, but he knew that it had to be done. The dog was like 16 and in severe pain.

I can't do it though, there's no way. I love dogs too much to do it, especially one of my own.

What will they do to my lab/dalmation if I take him to the pound? That's a worse thought then putting him to sleep in my opinion. I'm telling you this dog is so sweet and emotional, it's so hard for me to put him down. I wouldn't want him to be mistreated and left in a cage 24 hours a day... :(

I feel ya on that man. My dad had to kill one of my cousin/granma's dogs. .22 to the back of the head, killed her instantly! No pain, no nothing, just dead... Dad said it was definitely very hard to do, but he knew that it had to be done. The dog was like 16 and in severe pain.

I can't do it though, there's no way. I love dogs too much to do it, especially one of my own.

What will they do to my lab/dalmation if I take him to the pound? That's a worse thought then putting him to sleep in my opinion. I'm telling you this dog is so sweet and emotional, it's so hard for me to put him down. I wouldn't want him to be mistreated and left in a cage 24 hours a day... :(

Good Luck, it is a very tough part of life to lose a close pet.