Donnie Edwards?

coupdayta

Actually, I am more than a little intrigued by Edwards. He's short, which is the main knock I have heard on him. He is also old, but I'm not sure exactly how old. I'm thinking 30'ish. The only way we would be in the running is if he's around FA for a while (a good start on that at this point) and he could be had for "reasonable" (not sure what that means relative to FA anymore) depth money. IMO basically he would be a replacement for the aging Simmons and could fill that role. Simmons was likely headed to back-up status this season anyway and he was probably viewed as simply too expensive for that role by the Bengals at $3 mil. plus per season. Thus, I suppose if Edwards could be had for a lesser cap hit than that, I would be interested in him. He's shaping up as one of those second tier FA's that the Bengals actually sometimes look at.

Sigh....Can we just start a mega-thread where everybody names 10 players they think would upgrade the team? Quite the waste of time really.

<_<

Meh -- one man's waste of time......

Sigh....Can we just start a mega-thread where everybody names 10 players they think would upgrade the team? Quite the waste of time really.

<_<

Too easy. I could name 10 players from each team that could upgrade our piss-poor excuse for a defense

I ageee about that sorry defense, who would have thought that after four years the Bengals would be sitting here with quite possibly the worst linebacker core in the NFL, if not the worst we damn sure are in the top five.

Two quick points about Edwards. He is an aging player but he led the Chargers defense in tackles again last year. So I think there's ample proof that there's still some gas in his tank....probably as much or more than Brian Simmons had. So if Edwards could be signed to a comparable contract length, 2 or 3 seasons, the switch in LB's from Simmons to Edwards would be a solid upgrade.

Last, Edwards had repeatedly tried to get a contract extension from the Chargers but Charger GM AJ Smith refused to consider it. The reason? Smith openly admitted that Edwards was a very good player but he doesn't like Edwards personality.

my top 10:

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny

paul posluszny