Don't overlook Carriker

Adam Carriker may have a slow 40 time compared to the other DEs at the combine (4.9), but he ran the fastest short shuttle (4.18). If there is one thing the Marvin Lewis era has shown is that they value the short shuttle a whole lot more than the 40. Pollack ran like a 4.84 40, but he had a sub 4.0 short shuttle. I also believe Marvin is still looking for a strong side defensive end that can slide over to defensive tackle on passing downs, and Carriker certainly has the potential to fill that role. Those long arms on that 6'6" frame could certainly block some passing lanes. Also, while Carriker's 40 might be slow, his 10 yard dash is middle of the pack, which I think is more important for a strong side end. I'm not a big Carriker fan, but it looks like Landry, Willis, and Okoye will all be off the board by our pick and Carriker would certainly be an upgrade over BRob.

I like him, but I'm not sure if he fits here very well. We could try him at DT, but I'm not sure if he'd succeed there. There's also a good possibility he is gone when we pick. I've seen rumors that the Falcons and Steelers both like him a lot.

Fanene is going to be the answer to a trivia question some day.

"Which Bengal defensive player was drafted in the 7th round, did absolutely nothing his entire career, but went on to be a message board folk hero amongst Bengal fans?"

Wow... If HOF is devaluing a Bengals DE, you know he's bad.

P.S. I agree completely with Hair on this one. Frankly, I'll never understand why a player who has only made 7 more plays than me gets so much love.

Teams get pinched to save the roster spots with inside/outside ends but let the DEs be DEs and the DTs be DTs as much as possible. Instead of keeping 4 true DTs, 2 true DEs and 2 3-4 DEs, I'd rather see the Bengals scrap 1 of the 3-4 DEs and get a freaking speed rusher. I'd take Mark Anderson over Jon Fanene IOW.

Or cut B-Rob. But B-Rob shows up at the line with strength be it at tackle or end on the left side. He lacks the quickness Fanene adds inside or out on the right side but B-Rob don't get blown away off the line like Fanene does. pick a poison I say but only take 1 DE/DT and that 1 had better be tough and strong enough inside to go into the Dt rotation should 1 of the DTs get hobbled. IMO Fanene is not strong enough to do that.

I VERY MUCH agree with Plain. Carriker is being VERY, VERY underrated by everyone. I think he might be more "sure-fire" pick in this draft.

He didn't put up a lot of stats in college, but Adam has said himself that the scheme they ran at Nebraska didn't allow him to show off his strength.

At the Senior Bowl all Carriker completely embaressed the people across from him all week long.

I see the Justin Smith comparisions,...Carriker is Justin Smith 2 inches taller, 25 more pounds and HELL of a lot stronger. Now THAT is a Justin Smith I would GLADLY take.

Adam Carriker won't make it out of the top 12, or past San Fran is they stay where they are. I could see him going as high as the Browns at #3.

I VERY MUCH agree with Plain. Carriker is being VERY, VERY underrated by everyone. I think he might be more "sure-fire" pick in this draft.

He didn't put up a lot of stats in college, but Adam has said himself that the scheme they ran at Nebraska didn't allow him to show off his strength.

At the Senior Bowl all Carriker completely embaressed the people across from him all week long.

I see the Justin Smith comparisions,...Carriker is Justin Smith 2 inches taller, 25 more pounds and HELL of a lot stronger. Now THAT is a Justin Smith I would GLADLY take.

Adam Carriker won't make it out of the top 12, or past San Fran is they stay where they are. I could see him going as high as the Browns at #3.

True dat! he was a monster at the senior bowl. Going all the time and playing with attitude. But still on a JSmith clone.

Hopefully a team picking above the Bengals is tempted enough to take Carriker so a decent player will fall to #18.

The only resemblance Carriker bears to Justin Smith is that he plays too high and he has no bullrush. Other than that he resembles Bryan Robinson a whole lote more only he's not as good.

Carriker had a good showing at both the Combine and Senior Bowl but the "monster" that was there was a lot more like Carriker the Friendly Ghost in the big games that Nebraska had during the season -- POOF -- vanished.

The best hope for Carriker is too go to a 3-4 team where he can use his quicks in more space and hope to pan out like an Aaaron Smith. 4-3 teams that look at him no doubt will like he can kick out or in but I'd guess it'll be hard for them to pull the trigger too early for a player who looks prety much like a 2nd or 3rd round talent, especially when his injury history gets added in.

Hopefully a team picking above the Bengals is tempted enough to take Carriker so a decent player will fall to #18.

The only resemblance Carriker bears to Justin Smith is that he plays too high and he has no bullrush. Other than that he resembles Bryan Robinson a whole lote more only he's not as good.

Carriker had a good showing at both the Combine and Senior Bowl but the "monster" that was there was a lot more like Carriker the Friendly Ghost in the big games that Nebraska had during the season -- POOF -- vanished.

The best hope for Carriker is too go to a 3-4 team where he can use his quicks in more space and hope to pan out like an Aaaron Smith. 4-3 teams that look at him no doubt will like he can kick out or in but I'd guess it'll be hard for them to pull the trigger too early for a player who looks prety much like a 2nd or 3rd round talent, especially when his injury history gets added in.

You're funny.

Chris Houston is probably the s**t though...