Bengals tender

Kazkal

Notes: Bengals tender six RFAs

February 28, 2007

Posted: 2:40 p.m.

Johnson

The Bengals today announced that the team has made tender offers to six unsigned players, all entering their fourth NFL season. The players, designated as restricted free agents, are G Stacy Andrews, CB Greg Brooks, LBs Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller, P Kyle Larson and DT Shaun Smith.

By making the tenders, the Bengals gain the right to retain the players by matching any offer sheets they would sign from another team. The players could also remain with the Bengals by signing their tender offer for 2007, or by negotiating a longer-term contract with Cincinnati.

Two players -- Andrews and Larson -- were tendered at a dollar amount which stipulates that if the Bengals declined to match an offer that either would receive from another team, that team must compensate the Bengals with a second-round choice in the 2007 Draft.

The other four players were tendered at a dollar amount which qualifies as their “draft-status level.” This means that if any of those four sign elsewhere and the Bengals decline to match, the Bengals will be compensated with a 2007 Draft choice from the new team(s), matching the round in which the player was originally chosen. Johnson and Miller were third-round draft choices, and Brooks was a sixth-rounder. Smith entered the NFL as a college free agent, so the Bengals will not receive a compensatory draft pick if the club declines to match an offer he would receive.

The deadline for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet from another team is April 20. Under terms of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement, any Cincinnati RFA who has not signed an offer sheet by that date will have his 2007 NFL rights revert exclusively to the Bengals. If one of the players signs an offer sheet with another team, the Bengals will have seven days from the signing date to make a decision on matching the offer.

Take Brooks and give me the sixth rounder....

Smith will sign an offer sheet with another team probably.....

Miller? Hmmm, that third rounder would be nice to have.....

Match any offers to Andrews, Landon and Larson....

So there seems to be a lot of animosity towards Caleb Miller on this board, but I'm not sure why. I would love soeone to explain the reasons for me.

The games I remember him in last yr, he seemed to do an ok job. He hustled on the field and was consistently in or very near the action. I'm not saying he's stellar, but he might be better than whatever else we could get in the 3rd round this yr with the LB draft class so weak. Just a thought...

I agree on Greg Brooks. Why is the team so high on this guy? He has been injured all the time, and has yet to do anything worthy of even a tender offer. :huh:

Take Brooks and give me the sixth rounder....

Smith will sign an offer sheet with another team probably.....

Miller? Hmmm, that third rounder would be nice to have.....

Match any offers to Andrews, Landon and Larson....

So there seems to be a lot of animosity towards Caleb Miller on this board, but I'm not sure why. I would love soeone to explain the reasons for me.

The games I remember him in last yr, he seemed to do an ok job. He hustled on the field and was consistently in or very near the action. I'm not saying he's stellar, but he might be better than whatever else we could get in the 3rd round this yr with the LB draft class so weak. Just a thought...

I agree on Greg Brooks. Why is the team so high on this guy? He has been injured all the time, and has yet to do anything worthy of even a tender offer. :huh:

Landon Johnson should not be a starter in the league, mediocre does not get it, mediocre is 8-8. As much as I complained about Brian Simmons last year we still need a vetern presence at linebacker, Landon Johnson and Caleb Miller are not the guys you want to be your vetern linebackers.

Caleb Miller was our best LB last year. I was really concerned when Simmons went down, and then the next week Brooks came up limp... but Miller played very well. That's not to say that I think he is a starter in this league... but I'd sure like to have him as depth. He's as valuable to me as Landon Johnson, but will probably cost less.

But lets play out the scenario. If Landon Johnson indeed goes to another team, I'll be very concerned. What LB's do we have that we can allow him to walk now that we've released Simmons?

Pollack, may never play again - certainly not in '07.

Thurman, I'm not putting any eggs anywhere near that basket.

Jeanty, a 1 year player.

Brooks, the '07 season will be his true rookie year.

Frazier, picked him up off the scrap heap.

Nicholson, has he played a snap?

That, and maybe Caleb Miller? In other words... we'll be relying again on draft picks. We've got to bring back both Landon and Caleb. We can't survive another year of a shallow and unproven LB corps. People may not like the idea of Caleb and Landon being our most proven LB's... but if we get rid of them, our most proven LB's are Jeanty and Brooks.