Needs & Not Needs

JetsFan#1

Hi. I'm doing a mock draft and I have the bengals in this mock.

I've been reading your boards, and it seems that most want a LB, DT, or DB with your 1st rd pick.

But what positions on your team does not need to be addressed, aside from the 2 obvious ones like QB and WR.

Feel free to explain what positions you want and dont want to be addressed. Thanks.

BTW, I think you guys got a great chance at going all the way in 2007. Good luck (unless you play the Jets) :D

I would be fine with a LB, CB, or DT. I think the need for a safety is a bit overrated amongst Bengals fans, but it is still a possibility. Most mocks have us getting either Darrelle Revis, Amobi Okoye, Paul Posluszny (blech), Patrick Willis, or Lawrence Timmons.

BTW, I think you guys got a great chance at going all the way in 2007.

This statement should get you more responses. :sure:

I would be fine with a LB, CB, or DT. I think the need for a safety is a bit overrated amongst Bengals fans, but it is still a possibility. Most mocks have us getting either Darrelle Revis, Amobi Okoye, Paul Posluszny (blech), Patrick Willis, or Lawrence Timmons.

So I take it that Odell Thurman will not be your MLB next year?

And how about your OLB situation, does Ahmad Brooks start there, who starts opposite him?

Any upgrades needed on your Oline, or Defensive Ends?

So I take it that Odell Thurman will not be your MLB next year?

That's still up in the air. I think he will be, but I'm not sure whether I'm in the majority or the minority.

And how about your OLB situation, does Ahmad Brooks start there, who starts opposite him?

Brooks is still learning, and I doubt he'll be listed as a starter when we open camp. Right now, Rashad Jeanty is in that spot, with Brian Simmons and Landon Johnson rotating opposite him. There're also lingering questions regarding David Pollack and his chances to contribute here (I doubt it).

Any upgrades needed on your Oline, or Defensive Ends?

Offensive line is always a good possibility with the Bengals after round one (if you're doing a multi-round mock). I doubt they'll take any lineman on the first day though. Defensive end is also less likely now that Robert Geathers has been signed long term and Justin Smith was franchise tagged.

There is no way in hell unless Posluszny runs a 4.4 in the combine that we are taking that guy. Posluszny can not cover anybody out of the back field and can't cover tight ends. Every team except us in our division is loaded with good starting tight ends and we are going to need someone to cover them guys Posluszny does not fit the bill, now if we got him in the second round which is not happening that would be a plus. I project him to go to New England at the end of the draft.

We also need a third down or change of pace back if Watson is not going to be signed back. I like Rudy but he does not have any skills to make people miss or cut back skills at all, we need someone like that to complement him it was supposed to be Chris Perry but he turned into Elijah Price (Samuels character from Unbreakable).

I woulden't say safety is overrated on the need list just if it's BPA by far to go for it ala DT.

So I take it that Odell Thurman will not be your MLB next year? [/b

Well we hope he will,but even if he gets another chance I doubt he the starter at the start of the season...he's gonna have earn his way back....but even if odell returned we could find place for him,1st rnd backer + brooks :P or just have Landon-Odell-Brooks as the future.

3rd down change of pace back

Mybe day 2 and try find a guy like turner the burner,but I doubt we've given up on perry yet just like the staff never gave up on TJ.

There is no way in hell unless Posluszny runs a 4.4 in the combine that we are taking that guy. Posluszny can not cover anybody out of the back field and can't cover tight ends. Every team except us in our division is loaded with good starting tight ends and we are going to need someone to cover them guys Posluszny does not fit the bill, now if we got him in the second round which is not happening that would be a plus. I project him to go to New England at the end of the draft.

I don't want him either. I don't think he has the athleticism of any of the other first round LB prospects. People seem to be high on him for his "character."

JetsFan#1: This seems to have developed into primarily draft discussion, so I'll move it over with the other related threads.

Madieu Williams is a good player, or at least, he is recognized as a good safety among most people?

I loved the jonathan joseph pick you guys had last year, he should start in 2007 I would think.

I'd love to pair Sam Adams and get Okoye if he was still on the board in the mock draft I am participating in, but I think Mebane in the 2nd would be a great backup plan if Okoye is off the board in this mock, and I think he will be.

I'll continue to discuss this with you guys, and find out after the combines who has risen and fallen, and of course I'll let you know how the mock goes (I think its in a month), over at JetNation.com, a great site that I post at.

I don't want him either. I don't think he has the athleticism of any of the other first round LB prospects. People seem to be high on him for his "character."

I'm not sure how much is based on character, and how much is based on instinct. A.J. Hawk was not the best physical LB in the draft last year, but he was one of the most instinctual and smartest. As long as your physical attributes aren't a liability, smarts and instincts can usually make up for it. Posluszny is the definition of this type of backer.

Are his physical tools a liability? Time will tell... but I'm guessing that the fact that he was coming off a major knee injury last year is the reason for his senior slump. I'd be happy with him if Willis and Timmons were both gone... but I'll admit he's a bit of a risk. It's hard to know if he'll have a smooth transition to the NFL or not, but if I had a guess, I would say he'll be fine. His junior year was crazy.